Everyman's Library discussion

EL Books you just finished and ones that you're currently reading!!

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elliot (new)

Elliot (newbook) | 1 comments just finished the stranger by albert camus and am looking forward to starting Lolita sometime in the not too distant future although I have a mountain of books to read between now and then. I really like this publisher, I think I'm going to read all of the books published by them, not that i can afford to buy all of those though.

message 2: by Jur (last edited Jun 17, 2010 09:48AM) (new)

Jur (effeteaesthete) | 1 comments Mod
Hey Elliot, welcome to the group! You are the first member that is not on my friends list, "Yay!" for you! =)

I just finished Ulysses (I plan to buy the Everyman's edition soon), and I am just starting Eugene Onegin and Other Poems: and Other Poems.

I'd like to buy and read everything Everyman's too someday, but I fear that may take a while. And money. It may take money too. A lot of it, probably. ;) Still, one can dream, right?

Congrats on finishing The Stranger, I loved that book (yet another book I need to purchase the Everyman's edition of though)! Lolita is really good too (another one of my favourites, and, incidentally, another book I STILL NEED THE EVERYMAN'S EDITION OF! :-O), let us know when you get around to reading it.

message 3: by Charley (new)

Charley (eynotie) | 1 comments I just finished Brideshead Revisited by Waugh. Loved it and can't wait to read his other books. Am now reading the Everyman's of Les Miserables. Amazing so far. Could wind up being one of my favorite books.

message 4: by Feliks (last edited Apr 24, 2013 09:09PM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) | 3 comments For a long time I've been trying to motivate myself to read 'Grey Eminence' but I doubt it will ever happen.

Also: 'Now in November'. Mmmph.

My all-time #1 EL experience: Essays of Montaigne.

message 5: by Matt (new)

Matt (vmathew) | 1 comments I've read the first three volumes of Edward Gibbon's decline and fall of the roman empire, which comes in 2 boxes - six volumes total. Read a few other books: Catch-22, 1984, Animal Farm, Crime and punishment, The Prince. Most recently finished the 3 volume box set of War and Peace.

I love the EL Hardcovers, both for the quality of the book, and for the elaborate introductions. Aside from EL, I also love the "Reader's Digest World's Best Reading" series.

message 7: by Feliks (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) | 3 comments you know what? I haven't thought about this list in a long time and I'm rather glad I had no occasion to. Just glancing at the list as it is composed these days, shows me that it is no longer a standard bearer for literature. Its been corrupted by political-correctness and trendyism. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong part of the site but what I saw just now makes me want to hawk up some bile into a nearby spittoon.

Multiple titles by Nabokov? Multiple titles by Raymond Chandler? Half the list (at least) devoted to post-colonialism? And what the heck is Cormac friggin McCarthy doing there? Are you s*****n me?

I'll stick with Anthony Burgess' '99 Novels' instead. Sorry but that's muh rulin'

message 8: by David (new)

David | 2 comments Just finished the Pepys which is a wonderful edition, I would strongly recommend.

This then led me to John Evelyn's diary which (at the moment) I am battling with. The text hasn't been standardised so it makes it a little more challenging to read, whilst there are no footnotes to help put things in context (Pepys had this and it was excellent).

Regarding some of the new choices, I don't mind discovering new authors and giving works a chance. I liked the Nabokov and Chandler works. Some books however I will purchase but these will be at the bottom of my reading list ("Per" coming early next year, but who knows maybe I will be surprised!)

message 9: by David (new)

David | 2 comments Also the list posted above isn't complete. Try this:

http://sevenroads.org/Everyman/Serial...