Chicagoland Vampires discussion

The Characters > Merit

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Meredith Barrons | 280 comments Mod
Let's discuss Merit here!

message 2: by Shannon (new)

Shannon C. A former grad student, Merit is changed into a vampire to save her life following a vicious vampire attack. The plotline is centered around her coming to terms with the changes, being accepted into vampire society and the Cadogan House, learning about the supernatural world, and helping to find the vampire(s) behind the ongoing attacks in the area.

I loved the lead character Merit--fiesty, smart, fun, honorable, hard working, good morals. I enjoyed seeing her grow as a character over the course of the books. She starts as a grad student with a closely defined, much smaller world outlook. After she is converted, her world becomes much bigger and she must change to fit into it.

message 3: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) | 487 comments Mod
i love merit! she's one of my all-time favorite female leads.

message 4: by Hana (new)

Hana | 24 comments Mariya wrote: "i love merit! she's one of my all-time favorite female leads."

Same here! when i'm reading a book i'm not realy all that into the female lead characters as i am Merit. It probably has something to do with that sense of humor :D

message 5: by Mariya (new)

yea. i have favorite series and all but i cant say wit the others that i love the female lead as much as i love merit. in CLV i love almost all the characters including the female and male lead.

message 6: by Deb (new)

Deb | 77 comments I love Merit's character as well..Its great that she has taken something she didn't want and is making it work for her..

kc (4saintjude) (4saintjude) | 160 comments Mariya wrote: "yea. i have favorite series and all but i cant say wit the others that i love the female lead as much as i love merit."

Well said! I also like Cat, Rose, and Joanne from Weather Wardens. The funny part is that sometimes the men opposite the female leads frustrate the heck out of us (like Ethan) but really they have to be strong to stand up to these ladies and not be pushed around!

message 8: by new_user (new)

new_user I liked that she was so real. I could really believe her as a lit grad student. Her vocabulary, her humor, etc.

Meredith Barrons | 280 comments Mod
I totally agree! I also like Faythe from the Shifters series. She reminds me a bit of Merit!

message 10: by kc (4saintjude) (new)

kc (4saintjude) (4saintjude) | 160 comments Do the book cover pictures of Merit match what y'all think of as her in your head?

message 11: by Mariya (new)

yea. it does for me. i love book cover merit. she's exactly how i'd picture merit being.

message 12: by new_user (new)

new_user Yeah, close enough. Chloe's pics work too.

message 13: by Rafaela (new)

Rafaela (rafahta) | 5 comments I saw somewhere that Merit's first name hasn't been mentioned yet. I could swear I saw somewhere..

Wasn't it the same name as her grandmother? Can anyone remember?

message 14: by Mariya (new)

i dont remember them ever mentioning her real name. that's one of the things i wanna knoe and hope it gets clarified soon. im sure i would have remembered if it was mentioned b/c im really curious to wht her name is.

message 15: by kc (4saintjude) (new)

kc (4saintjude) (4saintjude) | 160 comments It was not mentioned, but we are supposed to find out in Twice Bitten :)

message 16: by Mariya (new)

Kc wrote: "It was not mentioned, but we are supposed to find out in Twice Bitten :)"

really? we get to find out her real name in twice bitten? yah!!!!!

message 17: by Rafaela (new)

Rafaela (rafahta) | 5 comments Chloe mentioned that was an interesting story behind it.

message 18: by Shannon (new)

Shannon C. Kc wrote: "Do the book cover pictures of Merit match what y'all think of as her in your head?"

I think Twice Bitten hits it pretty darn close. I like that she's wearing the black leather outfit that her friend bought her for her b-day. It's my fav cover of the series so far. Artwork is well done.

The first book I thought she looked more like a high school or college kid rather than a grad student in her late twenties, which worried me because it made me wonder if adults would be less likely to buy the book since it looks kinda like a YA. I want this series to be successful since I like it so much! They need to give her an extended contract.

Book two cover was a bit better, but her clothes seemed wrong. By that point, she was wearing more of the vampire black rather than a red tank/jeans. It would have been better to be in something black.

message 19: by Shannon (new)

Shannon C. Rafaela wrote: "I saw somewhere that Merit's first name hasn't been mentioned yet. I could swear I saw somewhere..

Wasn't it the same name as her grandmother? Can anyone remember?"

I just reread the first two books and couldn't find her first name mentioned. I'm very curious about this.

message 20: by Mariya (last edited Jun 25, 2010 06:55AM) (new)

Shannon wrote: "Kc wrote: "Do the book cover pictures of Merit match what y'all think of as her in your head?"

I think Twice Bitten hits it pretty darn close. I like that she's wearing the black leather outfit ..."

i agree wit first book, i think she looks like a teenager or something. but i think the second book improved quite a bit. i mean wit the first 2 merit cover being a different girl, its hard to get into the third cover, but i believe those in twice bitten r the clothes i picture her in a lot. i think i may have to read some girls bites again, to get her desfription in my head a bit better. i just thought her hair was black or something. or dark brown so it looks like its almost black.

message 21: by Hana (new)

Hana | 24 comments Shannon wrote: "Rafaela wrote: "I saw somewhere that Merit's first name hasn't been mentioned yet. I could swear I saw somewhere..

Wasn't it the same name as her grandmother? Can anyone remember?"

I just rer..."

No, in an interview somewhere, Chloe Neill said that Merit's first name and the story behind it gets revealed in Twice Bitten

message 22: by Mariya (new)

Hana wrote: "Shannon wrote: "Rafaela wrote: "I saw somewhere that Merit's first name hasn't been mentioned yet. I could swear I saw somewhere..

Wasn't it the same name as her grandmother? Can anyone remember?"..."

yah! was it in a blog interview?

message 23: by Hana (new)

Hana | 24 comments Mariya wrote: "Hana wrote: "Shannon wrote: "Rafaela wrote: "I saw somewhere that Merit's first name hasn't been mentioned yet. I could swear I saw somewhere..

Wasn't it the same name as her grandmother? Can an..."

Yeah she said we'll definetely find out!!

message 24: by new_user (last edited Jun 25, 2010 09:29AM) (new)

new_user I agree, the cover looked like YA/chicklit so I was pretty unsure about it. I mean, I think I may be younger than Merit, and I still wouldn't wear a tank top in that hot pink.

message 25: by valee (new)

valee You really like the model from the covers?

I HATED her, so not what I have in mind when Merit is mentioned. I seriously hate that girl.

I love Merit, though. One of my top fav heroines. What's not to love?

message 26: by Mariya (new)

both of them?

i like the models for the covers, i dont knoe why though, i guess i do for most covers though.

message 27: by valee (new)

valee No, not both. The one who was with all the other characters was nice. The one who was alone, not so much.

message 28: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (victoria65) | 4 comments This is how I picture Merit!

[image error]

message 29: by Faye (new)

Faye (fayegerarldine) | 35 comments i love merit because she has very strong personality and i admire her wit, humor and all. atta girl!

message 30: by Chieu (new)

Chieu | 3 comments whats merits first name?

message 31: by Mariya (last edited Sep 06, 2010 07:41PM) (new)

i think i remember in twice bitten her name being caroline.

message 32: by Caramelle (new)

Caramelle | 21 comments Mariya wrote: "i think i remember in twice bitten her name being caroline."

Yup.
Twice Bitten.
Ch 22. Pg 314. Line 21

Was revealed when Ethan halted her from leaving his office during their talk. Before she met up with Gabriel at Little Red.

message 33: by Mariya (new)

wow. book, chapter, page, line. ur good.

message 34: by Caramelle (new)

Caramelle | 21 comments Mariya wrote: "wow. book, chapter, page, line. ur good."

Lol. Thx. I sadly tend to be too much of a keener sometimes.

Luckily its still early in the series and info like that is still easy to find. Once the sixth or seventh book comes out. It'll be "book 3. Twice Bitten. later on in the book."

message 35: by Chieu (new)

Chieu | 3 comments lol thanks

message 36: by Faye (new)

Faye (fayegerarldine) | 35 comments in relation to merit's first name, can someone explained why merit said too late when ethan called her first name? i am kind of confused there. and when something happened to them, she considered giving ethan her first name. what so you guys think about that part when she said too late?

message 37: by Mariya (new)

What I thought was in the bedroom when they were having sex, ethan always said sential. but merit was like no, "ethan and....." she was considering giving him the right to call her real name. but ethan had said after that thought "ethan and merit"....

so I thought the part in his office where he called her by her first name and she was like too late she was saying he lost that opportunity to her by her real name.

message 38: by Chieu (new)

Chieu | 3 comments ohhh that makes tottal sense

message 39: by Faye (new)

Faye (fayegerarldine) | 35 comments yeah.thanks for clarifying that one.:)

message 40: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 1 comments Her real name is Caroline! It's in book 3 when her and Ethan are arguing in his office, then she tells him it's too late!