Trans-Atlantic Bibliophiles discussion

Middlemarch > Discussion Questions

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane (new)

Diane (dianders1) | 136 comments Mod
Here are a few things to keep in mind as you read the book. Please comment as often/early/late as you would like.

message 2: by Emily (new)

Emily | 39 comments I just started the second section last night. Where is everyone else?

message 3: by Diane (new)

I'm on page 53, which isn't very far yet. Dorothea and Casaubon just got engaged. Love it so far, though!

message 4: by Patricia (last edited Jun 23, 2010 04:08AM) (new)

Patricia | 80 comments Page 30 something, but I fell asleep so I might have to reread part of that!! You're a fast reader, Emily!!! On the other hand, I did finish a cardigan and a tank top (the dreaded twin set) last night at midnight, so maybe I'll read more now.

message 5: by Diane (last edited Jul 12, 2010 12:19AM) (new)

Okay, Utah Readers, decision time is here. The books are due back on Wednesday, July 14. We have three options:
1. You've finished the book, loved it, and will turn it in to the Orem Public Library by Wednesday. Please post comments!
2. You're still reading it, love it, but need more time, in which case I can beg for an extension. For some bizarre reason, there are no holds on the book club set of "Middlemarch," so I can probably get them for another few weeks at least.
3. You're cursing me for choosing such a long, wordy book and just want this nightmare to end. That's fine, too (I feel your pain, and I only have myself to blame)--just return the book by Wednesday or drop it by to me and I'll do it.

For the record, I have really enjoyed all 57 pages that I've read, and am sure that with enough perseverance I can make it through the remaining 650 or so in the next six weeks. I get a little ADD during the summer (Squirrel!) and have trouble focusing on just one book.

Let me know what you want me to do!

message 6: by Emily (new)

Emily | 39 comments *crickets chirping*

I have my library book for a few more days and probably won't make it through pages 300-800. I am making progress, though. Dorothea just crossed paths with the zombies, so things are getting exciting!

message 7: by Diane (new)

Zombies? Are you sure you got the right copy out? Okay, I give up--I pick lousy books. Who wants to pick next?

message 8: by Emily (new)

Emily | 39 comments It's a great book! I was just checking to see if anyone was reading the comments. I'm going to finish it.

I'll pick the next book when we are ready, if you'd like.

message 9: by Diane (new)

Please do! I returned all our copies today to the library. I'd still like to read it, but I think I'll pick a copy with bigger print.

message 10: by Sally (new)

Sally (sallyjosto) | 5 comments I think I remember something about zombies...
Seriously Diane, do you think it will be more interesting in bigger print? I read a review about a book called 'In The Woods'. Sounded good, takes place in Dublin and is a mystery (if I remember correctly). I'm still going to watch the DVD of Middlemarch, just to see if I can get more into it. :)

message 11: by Diane (new)

Maybe not Sally! Too funny!

message 12: by Angie (new)

Angie | 4 comments In the book I just finished, The Thirteenth Tale, the girl in it said it was one of her favorite books along side Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, etc. So I am sure if I would have keep reading I would have loved it but... I did like the 50 or 60 pages I did read. It's just such tiny print and so dang long!

message 13: by Diane (new)

So what did you think of "The Thirteenth Tale?" Did you end up liking it?

message 14: by Angie (new)

Angie | 4 comments I did like it, a little dark and twisted but good. It really only had about one chapter that was dark the rest was just a good mystery.

message 15: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 80 comments Ummm, I forgot my password whilst I was travelling, so I couldn't check this to see what we're doing with Middlemarch. I kept reading, albeit SLOWLY. Are we continuing, or is it Emily's turn to pick a book??!!

message 16: by Diane (new)

Well, most of us have abandoned the cause. Emily and I are still plugging away, albeit slowly as well. Not sure who wants to pick the next one. Anyone have a good suggestion (don't look at me!)?

message 17: by Patricia (last edited Aug 03, 2010 03:08AM) (new)

Patricia | 80 comments Good, I'll carry on but it's a slow go with me too.

Emily, why do't you pick the next one??!! (See comment 8 above!) I'm ready.

message 18: by Emily (new)

Emily | 39 comments Let's read A Thread of Grace. It comes to me highly recommended, so it should be good. What is our timeline? It's around 400 pages.

message 19: by Kate (new)

Kate | 15 comments So is A Thread of Grace the new read? I am ready.

message 20: by Emily (new)

Emily | 39 comments It is! When does everyone want to start and when do we want to be finished?

message 21: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 80 comments I'll start it this weekend and as it is in audiobook format, I'll be done quite auickly. So I'm good for any time, just let me know.