dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bob (new)

Bob Gilbert

Can I read it next :P

message 2: by Ziye (new) - added it

Ziye Fu Sure if you also like~

message 3: by Ziye (new) - added it

Ziye Fu Sure if you also like~

Claudia Thought this book was Sedaris's best by far. These stories have much more depth than previous ones. It is VERY funny in a laugh out loud way.

message 5: by Ann (new) - added it

Ann Sedaris is always funny. But the stories in this book offer special resonance. "Old Faithful" is pretty near a perfect vignette. Totally agree, Claudia!

Claudia I got the audiobook from a friend who says the stories are even funnier read by Sedaris!

message 7: by Ann (new) - added it

Ann That's it. I just bought tickets for when he's in Arizona next month!

Suge Ann wrote: "Sedaris is always funny. But the stories in this book offer special resonance. "Old Faithful" is pretty near a perfect vignette. Totally agree, Claudia!"

I rather enjoyed this book with exception to the last chapter, which seemed to drag on forever. Maybe my attention span is waning in my old age, lol, but I lost interest fast with the smoking chapter.

Salma Suge wrote: "Ann wrote: "Sedaris is always funny. But the stories in this book offer special resonance. "Old Faithful" is pretty near a perfect vignette. Totally agree, Claudia!"

I rather enjoyed this book wit..."

same, I think the smoking would've been funnier if I was actually a smoker? otherwise it was the only part that dragged.

Ardita Çaesari I think the "Smoking Section" was hilarious. Though at least my quitting smoking didn't require such a bold move to another culture and huge amount of money :D

message 11: by Karen (new) - rated it 1 star

Karen I'm sorry, but I just don't enjoy David Sedaris at all. Santaland Diaries was mildly entertaining, but the rest of it is so pathetic it gives me heartburn.

message 12: by Pam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pam Williams I thought this was his best book by far but I enjoy almost everything by him (other thanSquirrel Seeks Chipmunk.) I took this book on vacation and everyone thought I was crazy as I laughed uncontrollably while reading. I do prefer his books on CD because they are even funnier when he reads them. I got to see him live and it was one of the best nights I have spent in the theater.

Philip Athans This was the first David Sedaris book I read, and it made me run out and buy the rest. It made me an instant fan--smart, funny, heartfelt, and with just the right amount of self-indulgence.

message 14: by Mike (new) - added it

Mike I feel so lucky...this is the first Sedaris book I've ever read, but I didn't actually read it. Our local library had it on CD, read by Sedaris himself. What a treat. I laughed my way back and forth to work for two weeks. While I was writing my final project for my masters, I researched memoir and touched on Sedaris in my studies. I was surprised to find that there is a small contingent against him because like Frey, he's being accused of stretching the creative part of creative non-fiction. Who knew?

Mike

Shade Tree Writings

message 15: by Eric (last edited Dec 19, 2011 10:45AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Eric Karen wrote: "I'm sorry, but I just don't enjoy David Sedaris at all. Santaland Diaries was mildly entertaining, but the rest of it is so pathetic it gives me heartburn."

Ardita wrote: "I think the "Smoking Section" was hilarious. Though at least my quitting smoking didn't require such a bold move to another culture and huge amount of money :D"

I agree completely. I read it when it first came out and I’m sorry I bought it. I thought for a while I was the only one who found it flat.

Bonnie Lynn This book made me laugh more than once and I'm a new fan. Since this was my first book by the author, I'm glad that I happened to choose what others feel is the best of his books thus far.

Shavauna I love this book. I read it while I was supposed to be listening to a very somber debate on a historical massacre. I laughed so hard people thought I was a horrid person laughing at the death of thousands.

Ahmad Qassab Bashi I think it is a must read book it is so funny