The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 20.5 - Just Joined In - Amber GA's Task - Library Love

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments 20.5 - Just Joined In - Amber GA's Task - Library Love
Read a book about librarians OR a library OR with the word "library" OR "librarian" in the title.

message 2: by Liz (last edited Jun 02, 2010 04:54PM) (new)

Liz Would these work?

books where a librarian or library are feautred:
Morning Glory by LaVyrle Spencer - the library & librarian play an important role
The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (a personal library that's mentioned a lot?)

message 3: by Liz (last edited Jun 02, 2010 04:58PM) (new)

Liz There's also this goodreads link to Books About Librarians, but I don't know how accurate it is:
http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/53...

message 4: by Christine US (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 572 comments As long as the main character is a librarian, it will count correct? Or does it really need to focus on her time working in the library

message 5: by Petra (new)

Petra Would People of the Book be okay for this task?

message 6: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments A cute series featuring a librarian is Charlaine Harris's Aurora Teagarden series. The first book is Real Murders

message 7: by Liz (new)

Liz I'm considering either:
Stones from the River
The Shadow of the Wind
Libyrinth or
People of the Book
if they are accepted.

message 8: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments I'm thinking I'll read The Loop by Joe Coomer... or can anyone verify if The Girls works for this task? It was listed on the list linked in post #3, but I didn't find much in the description to verify it.

Elizabeth (Alaska) Liz, I have read both Stones and Shadow and both are excellent. If I could only read one, however, it would be Stones from the River.

message 10: by Petra (new)

Petra Liz, I read Stones From The River years ago and really enjoyed it. Shadow Of The Wind is superb also.

message 11: by Liz (new)

Liz Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Liz, I have read both Stones and Shadow and both are excellent. If I could only read one, however, it would be Stones from the River."

I already have Shadow of the Wind down for another task, but considered moving it to this one.
I've also had Stones from the River on my tbr for a really long time now.

message 12: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments Kafka on the Shore would work for this task as well.

message 14: by Rebecca NJ (new)

Rebecca NJ (njreader) | 1059 comments The Time Traveler's Wife would also work for this task. The main character is a librarian.

message 15: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments Cait wrote: "I'm thinking I'll read The Loop by Joe Coomer... or can anyone verify if The Girls works for this task? It was listed on the list linked in post #3, but I didn't find ..."
I read the Girls, really liked it and can't remember for the life of me if it fits!!! GAR. I hate when my brain can't bring up information that I know is in there somewhere!

message 16: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments Would The Archivist: A Novel work? I have been meaning to read that for ages!

message 19: by Deedee (last edited Jun 02, 2010 06:23PM) (new)

Deedee | 2123 comments - mystery series starring the local librarian.
Jo Dereske (A Miss Zukas Mystery)
Shirley Damsgaard (Ophelia & Abby)
Charlaine Harris (An Aurora Teagarden Mystery)
plus

Souls in the Great Machine by Sean McMullen prominently features librarians who fight duels to settle disputes. I read this one in 2002 and really enjoyed it; maybe I'll re-read it for this task, we'll see.

message 20: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16262 comments Mod
Elizabeth Peters has several mysteries featuring Jaqueline Kirby, a librarian. The Murders of Richard III, Die for Love, Naked Once More. She's also a character in The Seventh Sinner, but it's been years since I read that so I don't know how central she was in the story.

message 21: by JenniferD (new)

JenniferD (jooniperd) Cait wrote: "...can anyone verify if The Girls works for this task?"

It would totally work. (Link following might *spoil* some things, so be forewarned.)They both work at the town library.

:D

message 22: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer  (jml_417) Quiet, Please: Dispatches From A Public Librarian by Scott Douglas - and as a bonus, he's a goodreads author!

message 23: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments Jennifer wrote: "Cait wrote: "...can anyone verify if The Girls works for this task?"

It would totally work. (Link following might *spoil* some things, so be forewarned.)They both work at the town l..."

Thank you!

message 24: by Cindy AL (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 664 comments Has someone posted the link to the list of books about librarians??

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/53...

message 25: by Alice (last edited Jun 03, 2010 06:49AM) (new)

Alice (aliceg) | 429 comments Cait wrote: "I'm thinking I'll read The Loop by Joe Coomer... or can anyone verify if The Girls works for this task? It was listed on the list linked in post #3, but I didn't find ..."

Hi Cait,

The Girls will work as 'the girls' work in a library.

message 26: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments We did a similar task to this one during the Winter 2009-2010 Challenge.

Task 5.5
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/2...

message 28: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline (vayleen) | 7 comments If The Thirteenth Tale is approved, I want to read that one. :)

message 29: by Rita (new)

Rita I'm waiting to hear if The Time Traveler's Wife is approved for this

message 30: by Leigh Ann (new)

Leigh Ann (leighannflyingonsilverwings) Jacqueline wrote: "If The Thirteenth Tale is approved, I want to read that one. :)"

I read that book a few months ago and I really
enjoyed it!!

message 31: by Cindie (new)

Cindie | 1772 comments Nicole wrote: "Would The Archivist: A Novel work? I have been meaning to read that for ages!"

I read it a while ago and loved it! I remember the library work being an integral part of the story.

message 32: by Mrs.soule (new)

Mrs.soule (mrssoule) The heroines in The Librarian's Passionate Knight by Cindy Gerard, Good Girls Do by Cathie Linz, and Open Season by Linda Howard are librarians. Open Season is my favorite Linda Howard book. Also Batgirl is a librarian, so any books/graphic novels about her should count (Batgirl: Year One - over 200 pages).

message 33: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (kristenma) | 101 comments I have tried to read the Thirteenth Tale in the past and couldn't get into it. I think I will have to try it again.

message 34: by Felina (new)

Felina Amber - Does The Thirteenth Tale work for this challenge?

message 35: by Terri FL (new)

Terri FL (territhemuse) | 527 comments I found a mystery series from Nancy Pearl's website, based on a librarian in the morgue of her town's newspaper, called "Morgue Mama". The author is C.R. Corwin. I am going to read the 2nd in the series called Dig. I think this should count as a book with a librarian even though she's a morgue librarian!

message 36: by Katy (new)

Katy | 665 comments Tanja wrote: "This Book Is Overdue!: How Librarians and Cybrarians Can Save Us All...YAY can use this one!"

I just picked this one up at the library and am halfway through - definitely an enjoyable quick read!

message 37: by Felina (new)

Felina Since Amber is not checking this thread Cynthia said we could PM her with questions.

message 38: by Liz M (last edited Jul 25, 2010 02:26PM) (new)

Liz M Amber/PJreads/Sandy/anyone

Does People of the Book fit this task? So far (47 pages in), I suspect not, as it seems to focus on a single book & book conservator not a library or librarian. But it is listed on the "books about librarians" listopia linked to above....

message 39: by scherzo♫ (new)

scherzo♫ (pjreads) Liz wrote: "Amber/PJreads/Sandy/anyone

Does People of the Book fit this task? So far (47 pages in), I suspect not, as it seems to focus on a single book & book conservator not a library or lib..."

From amazon: "Along with the book she also meets its savior, a Muslim librarian named Karaman."

Looks fine to me.

message 40: by Elizabeth (NC) (new)

Elizabeth (NC) | 185 comments Did The Thirteenth Tale ever get approved for this task? Thanks

message 41: by scherzo♫ (new)

scherzo♫ (pjreads) Elizabeth (NC) wrote: "Did The Thirteenth Tale ever get approved for this task? Thanks"

The Thirteenth Tale: characters are an author and a bookseller

don't think there's a librarian or a library

Looks like it doesn't fit.

message 42: by Elizabeth (NC) (new)

Elizabeth (NC) | 185 comments Thanks--I'll use it for the must reads list instead. Again pj--I can't thank you enough for all that you have done over the past month or so.