Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Dramas > Splendor in the Grass

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (httpgoodreadscomelaine_chaika) | 241 comments Warren Beatty debuted in this film way back when. The DVD remaster is excellent and the roadrunner cartoon was a bonus. This still aroused strong emotions in me, and the main point, the bad things the people who love you do to you, is still valid. However, I found the acting way overdone. Bud's father and Deanie's mother, if not the most reprehensible idiots who ever lived, certainly rank near the top, but their emoting was way over the top by today's standards. In fact, watching this is a good exercise in noting acting fashions.

message 2: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey | 209 comments I´ve only seen Beatty in two flics. It´s a shame he avoided his metier for so many years.
I enjoyed seeing him in DICK TRACY but especially in the flic LILLITH with Jean Seberg. He plays the part as if he were James Dean, a little trick I have only noticed in one other flic, a Woody Allen in which Mia Farrow and Diane Keaton switch personas.

message 3: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (audrey_g) | 18 comments I enjoy films by Beatty and Wood, but this one was a bit over dramatized.

message 4: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (httpgoodreadscomelaine_chaika) | 241 comments As I noted, the style of acting, although typical for its time, seems overblown today. I think also that nowadays when extramarital sex is the norm, it's hard to understand what it was like when sex was something that girls were warned very dramatically not to do. All that crap about "girls like that" and married women only tolerating it because it was their duty was very real. When I was a teenager in the 50's, having sex with your boyfriend was unthinkable and kids really went through all that guilt.

message 5: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (audrey_g) | 18 comments So true. My take on films of that era is that the movie makers had to rely more on expressions, dialogue, ect. because they did not have the elaborate sound and visual effects of today thanks to Spielberg and Lucas. I for one do not like sex scenes in film, and find it completely inappropriate. It should be about the story, not the sex.