Language & Grammar discussion

Grammar Central > Those squinting modifiers

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 15787 comments Mod
That's very interesting, Alica. I'd never heard that term before. What fun it will be to use it next time my newspaper sins again.

message 2: by Ken (new)

Ken | 18347 comments Mod
The squint is news to me, too.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I am one who showed interest in squinting modifiers ... I seem to remember a reference a long time ago-- I think it was Beverly Cleary's Fifteen.

Thanks for the explanation Alicia! :)

message 4: by Ken (new)

Ken | 18347 comments Mod
The term "misplaced modifier" I know. It's the squinting I find colorful (and also a subdivision of "mm's").

message 5: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Boisture | 19 comments Is a squinting modifier the same thing as a dangling modifier?

message 6: by Ken (new)

Ken | 18347 comments Mod
One modifier is celibate, the other a philanderer.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Snort and chuckle worthy comment there, NE!

I think I use too many commas . . .

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I use --- and ... that way :)

message 9: by Ken (new)

Ken | 18347 comments Mod
This was an unending battle between editor Harold Ross at the New Yorker and writer James Thurber. Ross wanted commas most everywhere, Thurber wanted them most nowhere.

You can guess who won, right? (Hint: comma before right)

back to top