Beyond Reality discussion

Previous BotM--DISCUSSIONS > 2010-06 BRIDGE OF BIRDS - roll call *no spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
Please let us know if you've read, are reading, or are planning to read Bridge of Birds: A Novel of an Ancient China That Never Was by Barry Hughart - and any first impressions. (No spoilers in this topic please!)

message 2: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta | 178 comments Just finished two days ago. Loved it.

message 3: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 626 comments I read this back in early January and thoroughly enjoyed it. Here's a link to my review.

message 4: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments I read BoB several years ago, and it earned a place on my Favorites shelf. I've been re-reading it the past few days to re-acquaint myself with the details. I find myself charmed all over again, although I don't get to enjoy the pleasant shocks of surprise this time. I love Hughart's scampy, witty, and occasionally risqué brand of humor.

message 5: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Shel (shel99) | 2256 comments Mod
I read it a long time ago and just finished re-reading it to refresh my memory for the discussion, and loved just as much :) It had been long enough that I didn't really remember what happened, so I got to be surprised all over again.

message 6: by Marty (new)

Marty (martyjm) | 310 comments Ordered it and received it and will start it sometime in the next few days.....

message 7: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 973 comments I am reading it now. I find the writing magical, and I don't know why. I suppose I expected something mystical and magical, but I did not expect the humor -- and without being "cute." Really enjoying it.

message 8: by Marty (new)

Marty (martyjm) | 310 comments I am almost through with Part 1. I am going to finish Part 1 and start Part 2 but I am not liking Li Kao and thus thinking I may toss this soon....

message 9: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Shel (shel99) | 2256 comments Mod
Really? Li Kao was my favorite character. It cracked me up that he was so ruthless and yet so polite about it.

message 10: by Marty (new)

Marty (martyjm) | 310 comments yeah, he is ruthless. I know I am supposed to be on his side but I do not believe the ends justifies the means and I can't put it aside.

message 11: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments I am a bricks and mortar book buyer and I couldn't find a copy around town. I do have an eye out for it.

message 12: by Peter (new)

Peter (bookish_peter) Not only have I read it and the sequels many times, but many years ago I solved the online game that let you retrieve the original, very different draft of the novel a chapter at a time (each time you solved a section of the puzzle). That first draft was recently included in a recent special edition of the novel, I believe. It's very different indeed - Li Kao is young, and Number Ten Ox is a very minor character.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Bridge of Birds (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Barry Hughart (other topics)