Stephen King Fans discussion

Bag of Bones
This topic is about Bag of Bones
Talk about the Novels > Bag of Bones

Comments Showing 1-50 of 148 (148 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 3 stars

Angie | 2572 comments Mod
Wow! People are excited to talk about this book so go for it!!!

Stacie (stacieh) This will be a second attempt for me... I just wasn't in a good headspace the first time I tried. Too impatient I guess ;) This time I'll be trying the audio version.

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) Stacie wrote: "This will be a second attempt for me... I just wasn't in a good headspace the first time I tried. Too impatient I guess ;) This time I'll be trying the audio version."

Good call King re4ads it and he's a damned good storyteller!

message 4: by Katniss (new)

Katniss (katniss1986) I will be starting it as soon as I'm finished with The Two Towers

Leland (lelandhw) | 152 comments I love this book. I read this one first when I had not read a King novel in years. I must have skipped 6-7 books. It was like coming home.

message 6: by Chris , The Hardcase (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chris  (haughtc) | 1117 comments Mod
Leslie wrote: "I love this book. I read this one first when I had not read a King novel in years. I must have skipped 6-7 books. It was like coming home."

Me too, though I think it was more in the 4-5 book range. BOB was what drew me back in. It wasn't really that I had given up on King or anything, but I had gotten behind on his books for a few years.

Kandice | 4074 comments Well, I've re-read about 10 King books already so far this year, so I will discuss BOB, but probably won't really re-read it. Maybe skim a bit.

Rachel | 701 comments I haven't read this yet and looking forward to another King Novel, been a couple months :) Reading Blindness right now, gonna start BoB when I'm done so I'll probably make some comment in July :)

Mary (madamefifi) Kandice wrote: "Well, I've re-read about 10 King books already so far this year

Isn't it weird? I was on my way home from work the other day and suddenly got it into my head to re-read all his short stories. I'm currently on Nightmares and Dreamscapes ("Dedication"). That's one of the best things about King's stuff--it's the gift that keeps on giving. I never get tired of him.

message 10: by Bondama (last edited Jun 03, 2010 06:51AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bondama (kerensa) | 868 comments Mary, I definitely agree with you. I own all but a few (very) rare copies of King's books -- but believe me, these are NOT museum, collector-type copies --- they've all been read to death. And I NEVER get tired of them, ever -- earlier on - I think in conjunction with "Black House"- someone said (I think it was Kandice) that there is a sort of "willing amnesia" when it comes to King's books. Yes, you know what's going to happen eventually, but it retreats to the dim recesses of your mind, simply to give you the joy and shock you felt upon reading these for the first time. - Know what I mean?

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) I had forgot this story as I haven't read it for ages. I am actually listening to S K read it to me as I remembered I had the unabridged audio version. Have been doing my two baskets of ironing while listening to it. I am glad to say it is all done and my wardrobe is now groaning under the weight of clean pressed clothes and I won't have to go and buy new clothes for my holiday!

I hate ironing!!!

Wylie Kay (wklilly) Me to Lynne. I started the book and at night I am listening to the audio while knitting. Actually, the audio is even better than the actual book. King did a great job reading. Love this book so far.

message 13: by Tara (new) - rated it 2 stars

Tara (tara1012) This is one of the VERY few Stephen King books that I haven't read yet. So I'm excited to read it! (I'm also new to this group and fairly new to Goodreads in general...so, hi!)

Stacie (stacieh) I'm mixing it up... listening to the audio on the way to and from work and then picking up the paperback in between. It's a little odd, but it's working :) I'm about 1/4 of the way through and am having the hardest time understanding why this book didn't grab me the first time I tried to read it! Every other page there's a line or phrase that I just love.

message 15: by Adam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Adam Smith (chaos624) | 19 comments I haven't read this before so I'm finding it quite fun. Been reading it only when I'm working, which due to a bizarre slump in people wanting their cars washed has meant I have been able to get halfway through on the first week.

Wylie Kay (wklilly) Stacie. I am a little more than half way through now. I am right there with you with the audio and book. I am listening to the audio at night and reading a bit during the day on my lunch hour. I was thinking the same thing as well about why it didn't stick with me before. I am finding this an excellent read and loving it. Although I am not usually partial to audio books, since it is King's voice on this one, I am enjoying this version much better.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

This is by far the best SK book IMHO. Written after his brush with death, it has far less extreme supernatural stuff going on which I personnally found a relief, but still enough to scare me. It is the only audiobook that I've spent SO much $ on...but had to have it as SK reads it himself. Don't normally buy audio books -- just something about turning the pages and holding the book that is difficult to give up for me -- but just had to have that one. Love the references to Rebecca & Mrs. Danvers -- SK sure knows a good read...another of my personal favs. Happy Reading everyone!!!

Karlton (karltonst) Leslie wrote: "I love this book. I read this one first when I had not read a King novel in years. I must have skipped 6-7 books. It was like coming home."
Same with me. When I read it I had been out of college for a couple of years where I studied literature and shunned "popular fiction". It reminded me why I loved to read in the first place. Since then I've been proud to read Stephen King.

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) Karlton wrote: "Leslie wrote: "I love this book. I read this one first when I had not read a King novel in years. I must have skipped 6-7 books. It was like coming home."
Same with me. When I read it I had be..."

Thanks for realizing reading is more about enjoying the story than being a part of a literary club Karlton I run into so many readers that limit themselves that way.

Bondama (kerensa) | 868 comments You know, I love "Bag of Bones" --- but from the very first few pages I read several yrs back, I always was convinced that the book SHOULD have been named "Sara Laughs." I don't know what it is, but personally, it just seems like that would be a better title - but who am I to say anything to the King?

Leland (lelandhw) | 152 comments Bondama wrote: "I always was convinced that the book SHOULD have been named "Sara Laughs." I don't know what it is, b..."

OOOOOOOOO I totally agree with you. I love that as a title. I can see, however, that the title Bag of Bones might appeal more to the average reader that doesn't read every single thing that King will write. It implies something a bit more scary than 'Sara Laughs' might. (As much as I like the title)

And....how to say this without too much of a spoiler. Aw heck!

SLIGHT SPOILER

doesn't the title refer to the...um...physical aspect....of the...um...supernatural manifestation?

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Bondama wrote: "You know, I love "Bag of Bones" --- but from the very first few pages I read several yrs back, I always was convinced that the book SHOULD have been named "Sara Laughs." I don't know what it is, b..."

That would have been an awesome title...I LOVE it.

Kandice | 4074 comments I do understand why he chose BoB, but would have liked Sarah Laughs better myself. It's such a beautiful name for a home. Maybe I should name my house...hmmm.

Hayden (CigarettesAndRedVines) | 3 comments I read this a few months ago. I thought it was a good story, but I personally just couldn't really get into it very well. But I'm a kid, so I guess if I maybe had a wife and kids then I could've really gotten behind the Mike Noonan character more.

I finished it, but it just dragged on and on for me. I guess its one of his more mature works.

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) Hayden wrote: "I read this a few months ago. I thought it was a good story, but I personally just couldn't really get into it very well. But I'm a kid, so I guess if I maybe had a wife and kids then I could've re..."

It is a mature story but I do find a lot of people saying this about their first read through. See if you like the audio book better. He has a rich storyteller's voice that really sells the story.

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) Anyone finish the book yet? IF so any thoughts on the ending? What did you think and feel reading through all that happens?

Stacie (stacieh) Amanda wrote: "Anyone finish the book yet? IF so any thoughts on the ending? What did you think and feel reading through all that happens?"

I just finished. I loved it! I found myself scared of and heartbroken for Sara.

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) Stacie wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Anyone finish the book yet? IF so any thoughts on the ending? What did you think and feel reading through all that happens?"

I just finished. I loved it! I found myself scared of ..."

I loved the whole book but still feel especially bummed about

*SPOILER*

Mattie's end. I still can't listen to All She Wants to is Dance and not think back to that scene after reading it in 98. The sense of dread is clear seconds after somethign really great happened.

There are so many great moments to think about in this book. The end has several things going on and while I felt bad for Sara I was also pretty angry with her for affecting Mike,Joanna Mattie and Kyra the way she did.

Stacie (stacieh) Amanda wrote: "Stacie wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Anyone finish the book yet? IF so any thoughts on the ending? What did you think and feel reading through all that happens?"

I just finished. I loved it! I found my..."

**SPOILERS**

I really liked Mattie so I agree with you there :) I guess I didn't get really mad at Sara for the terrible things she was doing because almost from the first mention of her I got the feeling that something terrible had happened to her. Then Mike has the dream about Jo under the bed and King puts in that line wondering if dying made a person insane- really good bit of foreshadowing! Because of that when I started to see more and more of what Sara was doing, and had done, I was still sorry for her... she hadn't been a bad person, but all that was left of her was her pain and her fear and her fury. Like Mike said at the end, he'd have torn her apart before he let her hurt Kyra but that he was still sorry for her... that's the way I felt about her. I hated the things she was doing and the effect she was having on people I liked, but I couldn't hate her, couldn't just write her off as 'the monster' :)

It's early for me and I haven't yet been properly caffeinated so hopefully I'm making sense!

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) Stacie wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Stacie wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Anyone finish the book yet? IF so any thoughts on the ending? What did you think and feel reading through all that happens?"

I just finished. I loved ..."

It's one of my top King novels the atmosphere and everything is just right and really keeps everything going. Don't get me wrong I do get what she was doing just felt that both Mike and Ky had been through enough by the end.

Lanie (icevamp) | 145 comments ****SPOILER: MAYBE****
This is my second go-around with this book. The first time I read it, I didn't really want Mike to have another relationship - I liked Joanna. Now as I read it again, I keep seeing Joan Allen as Joanna in my head. I love the character of Sara- she just gets under your skin and I found myself so much more interested in her than in Mike Noonan's relationship. We'll see what happens when I get there. I thought the same thing, about the book being called "SARA LAUGHS" but I don't know if it's that catchy of a title. But I kind of like "Bag of Bones" - it has a nice ring to it. I think it also describes Mike Noonan a bit - I don't think he's a bad guy, but he's not my favorite character. I thought Joanna had a lot more spunk (and I wondered what she really saw in Mike), and the more I get to know her again, the more I don't want her to be dead.

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) Lanie wrote: "****SPOILER: MAYBE****
This is my second go-around with this book. The first time I read it, I didn't really want Mike to have another relationship - I liked Joanna. Now as I read it again, I keep ..."

You kinda fall in love with her through Mike's memories don't you? I missed her too and yes bridled at the idea of him moving on.

Lanie (icevamp) | 145 comments Oh, good i'm not the only one! I wonder, as King was writing it, if he was surprised at how wonderful a person he had "killed". It's too bad Joanna's gone - I'm sure she would have a lot more to say.

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) Lanie wrote: "Oh, good i'm not the only one! I wonder, as King was writing it, if he was surprised at how wonderful a person he had "killed". It's too bad Joanna's gone - I'm sure she would have a lot more to say."

I think a lot of his wife Tabby goes into some of his female characters. Joanna strikes me as one of them as does Lisey in Lisey's story.

Bondama (kerensa) | 868 comments I completely agree with you, Amanda -- before "Lisey's Story" came out, I've always thought of "Bag of Bones" as a "roman a clef" regarding King's feelings for his Tabby.

Kandice | 4074 comments From the first time I read it (and there have been several) I have viewed Lisey as a love story to Tabby. A twisted King love story, but what other kind could she expect?

Lanie (icevamp) | 145 comments Hmmm....I never thought of it that way. I attempted to read it while I was pregnant with my twins after finishing FROM A BUICK 8 (which I loved!) and I just couldn't get into ti. Maybe I'll try reading it again sometime. I didn't really care that much - I mean, I know it's the King, but I just had a hard time getting into it.

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) Kandice wrote: "From the first time I read it (and there have been several) I have viewed Lisey as a love story to Tabby. A twisted King love story, but what other kind could she expect?"

Exactly

message 39: by Bondama (last edited Jun 17, 2010 06:27PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bondama (kerensa) | 868 comments As I mentioned previously, this is only the second time I finished "Bag of Bones." -- but, unlike other King books, I just can't seem to regard it with the same awe and respect I hold for just about everything he'd written.

And I finally figured out why. Out of all of the books Stephen King has written so far -- there are some I simply didn't care for ("Dreamcatcher" and "Cell" come to mind)-- but "Bag of Bones" is the ONLY King book I can actually see as being somewhat sloppily written. I know, I know - heresy!!

--SPOILER --

But . . think about it. By the end, King doesn't let his readers know, first of all, where the drive-by
killers came from, what happened to them legally,(the killers) or even, did Romeo Bissonette or George Kennedy survive!!- We know John, the lawyer survives, but the other two aren't even mentioned. This sort of carelessness is very, very unlike Stephen King because first and last he IS a meticulous writer. In other words, this is really the only book of King's that springs to my mind in which all of the ends are not tied up. Does anyone know what I mean?

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) Bondama wrote: "As I mentioned previously, this is only the second time I finished "Bag of Bones." -- but, unlike other King books, I just can't seem to regard it with the same awe and respect I hold for just abou..."

You know I didn't really think about that.

I think it might be more about the change in tone for most but those sort of details could also have played a part. A lot of folks were able to read Bag of Bones who never tried King before and a lot of King fans couldn't or didn't want to read it for the accessibility as well. I think there's probably a lot of reasons people like or hate the book.

I'm also not a big fan of Cell and Dreamcatcher. Those do strike me as having major writing flaws.

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) I have just finished listening to Bag of Bones now and really enjoyed it. It has been a long time since I listened to it and I do love Stephen King reading his books.

I would love The Stand on audio cd or even as a download but haven't managed to find one yet!

message 42: by Elena (new) - added it

Elena | 50 comments I couldn't get into this book. It was too sentimental for me, at least as far as I read. I also tried a sample of the audio book, but it didn't work either.

message 43: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 3 stars

Angie | 2572 comments Mod
After reading these posts I realize I can't really join in the discussion because I have forgotten a lot of the plot. I love to read but I hate the type of reader I am. I rarely remember the details... sometimes I forget character names as soon as I start the next book!

message 44: by Ciqu (new)

Ciqu @Angie... I am exactly the same way... its very annoying, no? I have had to read some books in a series twice when the next one is out because I don't remember a lick of what happened or the character names in the old book!!! LOL

Stacie (stacieh) Angie wrote: "After reading these posts I realize I can't really join in the discussion because I have forgotten a lot of the plot. I love to read but I hate the type of reader I am. I rarely remember the deta..."

But that means that each time you read something it's almost like getting to read it the first time :)

Rachel | 701 comments **********************CONTAINS SPOILERS MOST LIKELY***********************************************I finished Bag of Bones on July 1st. I really like this book. It reminds me of a combination of Lisey's Story with the gender roles reversed, Duma Key, and a couple other stories in the King Universe. Isn't there an alternate Sarah Laughs in The Dark Tower Series where the character's meet Stephen King? I also liked the references to Insomnia.

I skimmed over the posts in this thread and I disagree about Mike developing feelings for Mattie. I rooted for that reltionship to work, and got the impression that Jo did too, in her way. I got angry when it seemed like Jo might be having an affair because I also really liked Jo and Mike's relationship. I guess my view on it was like Frank's, Mike had to move on sometime. Did anyone else feel like the end, where Mike talks about not wanting to write scenes that are horrific in his books anymore, because of what he went through with Mattie, was like Stephen King foreshadowing the change in his own writing. All of the books after this one have been classified "post-accident King" and I really felt the switch in this book.

Adorei | 2 comments I enjoyed this book a lot. Although, unlike most of you, I didn't really like Mattie as a match for Mike. He was wonderful with Ki, but there was just something about that relationship that bothered me.

Regine For me, this is probably Stephen King's best novel. Although I am a huge fan of his horror ('Salem's Lot, The Shining) I love the downplayed supernatural elements of this book.

I love the intimacy the reader shared with Mike Noonan-- everything from his misadventures with writer's block, and his grieving for his wife was just beautifully written, and just felt so real to me. The imagery he uses to create the characters, and the setting of the story was just beautiful.

Regine A lot of people have been posting about Mike and Mattie-- and I think that the relationship works. However, when King so intensely describes the relationship between Jo and Mike, it just seems to diminish the depth of the relationship between Mike and Mattie.

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I would really like to discuss this one too, but I don't remember much about it either. It's probably been a good 10 years since I've read it, and contrary to what Kathy says, my memory isn't THAT good! LOL ;)

I hope to get around to re-reading this one soon, but I have so many other books to read at the moment that I just can't fit it in. *sigh*

« previous 1 3