Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > I think I just ate a sandwich made with moldy bread

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17338 comments Mod
will I die?

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments That's penicillin, right? Shouldn't do anything but kill some of the bacteria in your system, I think, Sally.
You might eat some yogurt to replace the good bacteria, just to be on the safe side.
Non-moldy yogurt.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments You should be fine. If you didn't notice the mold on the loaf til after, the part you ate probably wasn't very moldy.

message 4: by Sally, la reina (new)

Remember when I ate moldy yogurt?

Gawd, what's wrong with me!

And I'm nervous because it was halfway in when I noticed it, and I once heard that by the time you can see the mold on a loaf of bread the entire thing has been saturated with spores.

(now that I think about it this might be another instance of my big sister fucking with me when we were little.)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Yes, I DO remember, Sally, which is why I specified NON-moldy yogurt in my previous post.

I've never heard of anyone dying from moldy bread. The dangerous food gone bad is meaty stuff, like chicken left out too long. You're fine.

message 6: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i occasionally eat moldy food (by accident of course), but i don't think it has ever harmed me. it all depends on the kind of mold you're eating and the bread kind is much more innocent than the chicken kind. i think it's good to be exposed to some mold, it keeps your immune system from overreacting.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Ooh, if it makes you feel better, once in college I went to the cheesecake factory, but I didn't finish my cheesecake, so I brought it home. I slept on my friend's floor in another dorm because my roommate's boyfriend was in town. I left it out of the fridge because she didn't have room and I figured it would last the night and I'd eat it for breakfast.
When I woke up, before I put on my glasses, I decided to have a few bites of my cake (like ya do...).
It wasn't until I had my glasses on that I realized it was teeming with ants. They're probably still crawling around inside me.

message 8: by Sally, la reina (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" wrote: "Yes, I DO remember, Sally, which is why I specified NON-moldy yogurt in my previous post."

ah, I see that now.

message 9: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I bet it makes you poop... diarrhea, even.

message 10: by Sally, la reina (new)

ooo! *runs to eat more*

message 11: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11669 comments Don't know about bread, but many moldy cheeses are quite tasty.

message 12: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Would those be fun hallucinations? What are the side effects? Hallucinating can be fun.

message 13: by Sally, la reina (new)

I dont want to taint my breast milk with hallucinogens!

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments You sound okay, Sally. I think you're going to pull through. :)

message 15: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Natural antibiotics.

message 16: by Matt (new)

Matt | 819 comments It should be fine, Sally. My wife's grandma evidently ate moldy food all the time with no ill effects (an extreme product of living through the Great Depression, etc) and would say "Oh, dat don't hurt!" in her thick, German accent when the grandkids would freak out.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I think if you NOTICE the bread is moldy, you should definitely refrain from eating it.
Yuck, tadpole. Great Depression or not, your wife's grandma was overdoing the not-wasting-food thing.

message 18: by Sally, la reina (new)

Ok, I threw away the rest of the loaf.

message 19: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Why, when I was a POW, we would knock each other out to get a scrap of moldy bread.

No, not really.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.