Chasing Perfect (Fool's Gold, #1) Chasing Perfect discussion

Read with Me Chasing Perfect by Susan Mallery

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Harlequin Books Chasing Perfect
by Susan Mallery

Welcome to Fool's Gold, California, a charming community in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada. There's lots to do and plenty of people to meet, especially women. Because there's just one tiny problem in Fool's Gold: the men don't seem to stick around. Maybe it's the lure of big-city life, or maybe it's plain old bad luck, but regardless of the reason, the problem has to be fixed, fast. And Charity Jones may be just the city planner to do it.

Charity's nomadic childhood has left her itching to settle down, and she immediately falls in love with all the storybook town has to offer—everything, that is, except its sexiest and most famous resident, former world-class cyclist Josh Golden. With her long list of romantic disasters, she's not about to take a chance on another bad boy, even if everyone else thinks he's perfect just the way he is. But maybe that's just what he needs—someone who knows the value of his flaws. Someone who knows that he's just chasing perfect.

Harlequin Books Chapters 1 and 2

Ok, Ms. Mallery has caught my attention and curiousity. Her hero, Josh, is one of those men that women can't help but check out, serious eye candy, but he also has his issues. Her heroine, Charity, is starting an important job and it is clear she has secrets that will be slowly revealed throughtout the story just like Josh obviously has some secrets. As for Charity's new job, I can see lots of opportunity for laughter and sexual tension in almost equal measures. Charity's reacation to Josh which comes as a shock to her is going to be so much fun to read. I am definitely in need of the escape I feel I will find in this story. My daily life is beginning to take on the craziness of summer life a mother faces every year. I'm also thinking this will be going on my keeper shelf and I've just started reading it!

Rossy You're in for a treat, enjoy!

Samantha It is on my keeper shelf. I really liked it.

Harlequin Books Chapters 3 and 4

Poor Josh. His past haunts him. Women drool over him. He basically hides his real self. To top things off, the mayor is trying to play matchmaker, imo. The mayor arranged for Josh to show Charity around town. Charity does need to learn as much as she can about the town if she is going to help develop it but was Josh the best choice for the job. The mayor knows that women have trouble concentrating on anything but him so why would she use him to show Charity around if not for matchmaking, right? As for Charity, she is not happy with her reaction to Josh. She would much rather be attracted to Robert, a co-worker. She even goes so far as accepts an invitation to dinner him. Charity is really looking for stability and putting down some roots. She doesn't need a "player" like Josh in her life.

I'm beginning to like Josh. At first I was concerned he was written as too much of a hotty but after getting to know him better, I believe he will make a great hero. Because of her mother, Charity has a lot of issues when it comes to men. It will be interesting to see how Ms. Mallery achieves the HEA in this story.

Rosy and Samantha please feel free to chime in with your thoughts on the book. I would love to hear what you thought about it.

Harlequin Books Chapters 5 - 8

I never realized before how much I like the wounded hero storyline. Josh is grabbing my heart and I just want to help him and give him a big hug. I really feel for Charity who is trying to fight her attraction to him. Besides being hot, he is now showing her a side of himself that he has kept hidden and I can see her losing her self-imposed battle. She might have a better chance if her dates with Robert had a tenth of the heat that she gets from just running into Josh.

I can't wait for my daughter's bedtime tonight so I can get back to reading. :)

Harlequin Books Chapter 9-10

I cculd see myself wanting to be Charity's friend. She is kind and that is so rare nowadays. I'm loving her zest for small town life. I'm loving her reaction to Josh. I'm loving the fact that she is rediscovering how much fun it is to be girly. I even loved it when she made a complete fool of herself in Josh's office. Matter of fact I LOL'd and then had to explain to my husband why. I'm just not sure if either of them is ready for the other. Josh has some serious issues to work through and he just gave himself a deadline which could lead to big-time failure. Charity needs time to recover from a bad break-up and time to discover the new person that is slowly emerging with each page turned. I'm only half way through the book so I'm sure that Ms. Mallery will bring it all together but for now, I still have my doubts of how that will happen.

Harlequin Books Chapters 11-14

Wow, was a bomb dropped on Charity! She has so much on her plate now. I can't imagine what it must feel like. I think I would feel very lost. Charity may have been given a shock but there was so much more that happened in this set of chapters, not only to Charity but to Josh too. Will he be ready? Oh, and I can't wait to hear the gossip after they went out in public together. What are your thoughts so far or, if you have finished, what are your feelings towards Charity and Josh?

Rossy Well i had some major issues with Charity when the story first started. While i understood the reasons for wanting to date a "normal" guy, it just made me want to smack her upside the head and tell her to stop trying to play it safe.
Josh in the other hand, i loved from the very beginning. I could tell right away there was more to him than met the eye. While he had much success, he also experienced a lot of grief and i couldn't help but totally fall in love with him.

How did you feel about the interaction between the young women in town? I really like them all and can't wait to learn more about them. I read the 2nd book in the series already and learned a bit more about Pia's past.

message 10: by Harlequin Books (last edited May 28, 2010 09:43AM) (new) - added it

Harlequin Books Chapter 15 -17

OMG Charity has got to give Josh time. She was blindsided early which I mentioned already. Well now, she has blindsided him with something that effects them both and she has to give him time to react without getting so stuck on his initial reaction which isn't fair. The last chapters should be really exciting. :)

Rossy, it took me a while to warm up to Charity too. She slowly creeps into your heart with each new secret revealed to her past and each new kindness she shows one of her new friends. But yeah, I wanted to hit her upside her head in the beginning.

I loved the young women in town. (Heck, I even love the older women and their facination with Josh, lol) They would all make great friends. I'm jealous that you have read the 2nd book already. Pia and her new cat definitely are favorite scenes of mine.

Harlequin Books Chapter 18 - the end!

I LOL'd at the end of this book so hard. Josh is such a goof. I loved how the crowd reacted too. Hehehehehe. Great ending to a very nice book. Can't wait for Pia's story. :)

Overall, I found this to be a very satisfying read and the rest of the series sounds like it just keeps getting better and better.

What are your thoughts?

Rossy I agree, it was a good read. Great introduction to the series and the community.

message 13: by Shun (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shun Givens Really enjoyed reading this book!!

Harlequin Books :) It's a fun book.

Joanne I loved this book, and look forward to the remaining 2 books!!!

Harlequin Books Did you know Susan has extras based on Fool's Gold on her website? If not, you should check it out!

http://foolsgoldca.susanmallery.com/f...

Joanne I will thank you!!!