Books on the Nightstand discussion

Would anyone sell a book this way?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Billt (new)

Billt | 2 comments I wonder if anyone will ever market a book by selling a hard copy and an e-reader version at one time for a reasonable rice? Or even if it has ever been done yet?

I know I would be more apt to impulse buy a book, especially on-line, if I knew I could start reading it immediately but that I could also have the hard copy to hold in my hands and put on my shelf.

On my iPhone, I read lots of free classics, but I am hesitant to spend 9.99 on an digital book which I can't lend to my daughter or sell at a used book store later if I don't want to save it.

And if it's new book by a favorite author, I know I want the book. BUT. But, if I see it online for 28.50 and know I can get it in town for 18.00, then I'll probably just wait. BUT. But if could get both for 28.50, I'd probably just go ahead and get both now.

I don't think I'd ever buy both separately for full price. Heck, I'd like a downloadable audio copy also. Why not? If I bought a hard copy locally, maybe I could go online and download an e book or audio book with a coupon. Anyway, just food for thought.

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (akingman) | 2097 comments Mod
Yes, many publishers and brick and mortar bookstores especially *want* to do this, but unfortunately the technology is just not quite there yet. I expect we will see this within a year, as there does appear to be interest. Of course, what a "reasonable price" means remains to be seen.

Some record labels have been doing this for a few years, especially with vinyl albums -- they come with a download code for the digital album included in the price. However, the albums are all shrinkwrapped, so it's much easier to manage with a coupon code. With a book, there's nothing to stop someone from just opening the book and copying the code.

But don't worry -- we'll get there!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Currently, if the print publisher allows it, a Kindle can have a computer voice read the text of a book.

Audiobook publishers are also moving in the direction of including e-books (the text of the book) + bonus features with the audio. The advent of the iPad has helped a lot in this area.

But there is no incentive for an audiobook publisher to produce free audiobooks.

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (akingman) | 2097 comments Mod
Yes, the problem with the audiobook is that there are absolutely no cost savings -- it's one thing to digitize and format an existing text (though there are costs involved there, too), but another thing altogether to edit the script, hire talent and producers, and spend a few days in the recording studio to produce the audio.

message 5: by Libby (new)

Libby (libbyw) | 131 comments I'd much rather listen to an audio with one of the many talented readers than listen to a "computer voice" on a kindle. The really good readers give a sense of the characters that a computer could never do. At least until we learn how to program emotions into a computer.

message 6: by Billt (new)

Billt | 2 comments I'm glad it's under some consideration. I'm sure the market will determine what is "reasonable" and I can see an e-book being a great marketing device and also being very fluid in pricing structure.

Seems like it would be easy for Amazon to include a Kindle version immediately along with a hard copy to be shipped the next day. Or for a local Border's to have a code on a receipt that will allow a one time download (maybe from the store itself if it had a download center). It would be more challenging for an indy, but not much more. Of course, there is the problem of several different formats now.

I don't have any idea about how the profits break down between publisher, author, and book seller. And I may be mistaken in my thought that very few people would buy both a hard copy and a e-book for a separate full price. But I bet more people would pay more of a premium for both together.

message 7: by Callie (new)

Callie (calliekl) | 646 comments It could be a deal for just the new books/best sellers- when you buy the book, a bookmark is placed in it by the seller with the code for downloading the e-book. Plus, it will get more people using bookmarks! :)