What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

What Fire Cannot Burn (Soledad O'Roark, #2)
This topic is about What Fire Cannot Burn
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. SF book -- two female characters, one a solider, one a police officer, read within last 5-10 years, set in CA, trying to control metahumans? [s]

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Snail in Danger (Sid) (last edited May 18, 2010 05:26PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 289 comments I'm trying to think of two books; one was a sequel to the other. As a result, I may have the details somewhat out of order. But these mostly refer to the first book.

The first book started out with two characters. The viewpoint character was a female soldier/paramilitary type with, IIRC, some kind of cyborg or biomechanical augmentation for super strength. She may have been part of an agency or task force that tried to control out of control metahumans, i.e. people with superpowers. I think her name started with S -- maybe Solange? I may be completely wrong about that.

There was a plotline about someone, a guy I think, who was a normal human but found a way to use technology to fake metahuman powers and make it look as if metahumans were committing crimes. Maybe one of them took place at a bank?

After a while the viewpoint shifts to the second woman. IIRC, she was a police officer who went by Eddi. I think there's a scene where her father calls her Edoko or Ediko -- she's presented as being of Japanese ancestry. Maybe she has a young son, but I'm not sure about that part.

I think the book is set in California, probably L.A.

In the second book, Eddi (?) is the viewpoint character. I think. I'm not sure if I actually read this one.

I believe the author was male.

I think the cover was either blue or yellow.

I read the book(s) within the last 5-10 years, and I think that they were first published within that time window.

(Editing to remove an excessively spoilertastic detail.)

message 2: by Kaion (new)

Kaion (kaionvin) | 389 comments Heh, some creative googling ("novel superpowers OR mutants eddi OR ediko police LA") and I got this: Those Who Walk in Darkness & What Fire Cannot Burn.

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 289 comments Thanks, Kaion. The second title definitely rings a bell. Much appreciated!