The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 15.5 - "The Great Authors Were Great Readers, And One Way To Understand Them Is To Read The Books They Read." — Mortimer J. Adler

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments 15.5 - "The Great Authors Were Great Readers, And One Way To Understand Them Is To Read The Books They Read." — Mortimer J. Adler
On this website (Top Ten Books) you will find a list of authors and their top 10 favorite books. For this task...Read a book written by one of these authors AND a book from their top 10 list.

If you need suggestions OR have suggestions for books to read for this task post them here.

message 2: by Liz (new)

Liz If we can find a list for an author who's not listed on this webpage, would that work too (as long as we put the link on our post)?

message 3: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments Liz wrote: "If we can find a list for an author who's not listed on this webpage, would that work too (as long as we put the link on our post)?"

No for this task we're going to use this list.

message 4: by Felina (new)

Felina I'm doing Stephen King...He liked 1984 and I've yet to read it. And I love Stephen King so this will be fun!

message 5: by Sara Grace (last edited May 30, 2010 07:10PM) (new)

Sara Grace  (saragrace34) I would really like to do Paul Auster for this challenge. I've had New York Trilogy on my shelf for awhile now. Also on my shelf are the first four volumes of In Search of Lost Time. Auster lists the entire set of In Search of Lost Time as one of his top ten books. Now, as some already know, this is a novel in 7 volumes. Right now I have volumes 1-4 at my house for a total of 2229 pages. Can I read *just* the first volume Swann's Way for this challenge?

message 6: by Leigh Ann (new)

Leigh Ann (leighannflyingonsilverwings) Felina wrote: "I'm doing Stephen King...He liked 1984 and I've yet to read it. And I love Stephen King so this will be fun!"

I'm doing the exact same ones! I've been wanting to read 1984 for awhile now!

message 7: by Liz (new)

Liz I'm planning on using Skeletons at the Feast by Chris Bohjalian & reading his suggestion of Les Misérables (I hope this isn't too ambitious).

message 8: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments Sara wrote: "I would really like to do Paul Auster for this challenge. I've had New York Trilogy on my shelf for awhile now. Also on my shelf are the first four volumes of In Search of Lost Time. Auster lists t..."

yes