twilight lovers! discussion

Misc Twilight Stuff!!!! > I mean really???

Comments Showing 1-50 of 93 (93 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay (vabookworm87) I hate the Twilight Saga books. I read all of them under the impression from various friends that they get better as the series continues. By the end, they had not improved. I have high school students who write better than Stephenie Meyer. I've made no secret of my dislike of the book series, and wrote some scathing book reviews on the series. On that note, however, I do like the movies. Primarily because you're not in Bella's completely mental head the entire time.

Every so often I get hate emails and comments back on my reviews that are so obsessive that they crack me up! For example:

"Why must you critisize things like this? Now people all over the internet will totally hate you! twilight isn't nonsense. look, 'they sparkle' is an interesting twist. i mean what the hell, they turn into ashes in the sunlight is a MYTH. You can change myths. My recommendation is that if you want to pick at something and say it's bad, you should ACTUALLY look at it before you do! just because you're too ignorant to see the good literature doesn't mean everyone ELSE has to look at it and feel miserable because there are people out there who just don't understand."

A) Don't CRITICIZE other people's reviews if you can't spell. Or at least run a spell check.

B) "People all over the internet"... Apparently about 95% of the world's population officially hates me for my review! Who knew I had such influence???

C) I'm "ignorant" because I like to read books written above a 2nd grade reading comprehension level. Hmmm...

It's one thing to enjoy a series. I enjoy many series. However, Twilight fans have taken this series way far and beyond what I believe it deserves. It's poorly written, the underlying themes are not exactly something we need to be teaching to adolescent girls, and it portrays young women as complete mental cases without a man by their side. It's ridiculous!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

A lot of people hate it because of the big hype, otherwise I'm guessing they would have enjoyed it. Just asking, what did you think of Harry Potter and the philosophers stone?

message 3: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay (vabookworm87) Love Harry Potter. Again, not stellar writing, but JK Rowling improved her writing skill with each book, unlike Stephenie Meyer.

I don't hate the books because of the hype. I was attracted to the series because of the hype. Hence the reason I was so disappointed with the quality of the books! I figured they'd be better, considering the hype. I just can't believe fans are so protective of the series that they'd send hate email to folks who don't like it!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

hehe. It'll soon die down. I personally love twilight, but I was recommended it before the film came out, so before the big hype. Do you think the films are better than the book?

message 5: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay (vabookworm87) I prefer the films primarily because I hate spending the entire books inside Bella's insane head. Her thought processes are so melodramatic and ridiculous that they drive me nuts. At least with the movies it's possible to enjoy the plot without her obnoxious thoughts interfering every two lines.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

lol. Have you read any of midnight sun?

message 7: by Alethea (new)

Alethea Rivera (alethearivera) i prefer twilight than harry potter but then i'm not saying that harry potter sucks.

message 8: by Kayla (new)

Kayla I like Twilight. Before I read it my friend would come to lunch with that book and gush about how wonderful it was, and I said it was stupid and all that. Then she gave me twenty bucks to read it and I absolutely LOVED it! Now she won't even finish Eclipse because she is mormon (no offense to anyone else here) and thinks it is 'too inappropriate.'

message 9: by Alethea (new)

Alethea Rivera (alethearivera) i didn't find eclipse inappropriate at all.

message 10: by Kayla (last edited May 12, 2010 04:24PM) (new)

Kayla she stopped a year ago at the part when bella starts trying to take her shirt off in front of edward. she is really strict about that sort of thing. i didn't either, but...

message 11: by Terri (new)

Terri (clanmoran) | 286 comments That is kinda weird since it was written BY a Mormon!! I would think if Stephanie Meyer could write it (and I did not think it was "inappropriate" Edward stopped before she got three buttons undone!!) I don't understand how someone of the same religion would find a problem with it!

message 12: by Kayla (new)

Kayla Yeah, I know. And Breaking Dawn is my favorite, but it's the most 'inappropriate.'

message 13: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay (vabookworm87) I have never heard of Midnight Sun. Have any of you read Charlaine Harris' Southern Vampire series? I love that series!

message 14: by Kayla (last edited May 12, 2010 04:47PM) (new)

Kayla Nope. You've never heard of MS? Really? I'll clue you in. Stephenie was writing Midnight Sun and an illegal copy of it got online, so she stopped writing it. We all call it Dark High Noon as a code name. It's basically Twilight from Edward's POV, and if you want to give it a try go to www.stepheniemeyer.com and read it.

message 15: by Madeline (new)

Madeline i'm tired of people making such a big deal out of this.
its a young adult book for crying out loud.
if you like it good for you, if you hate it, thats a pity, move onto something worth your time
its not meant to be symbolic or deep, its a story, thats it. u dont need to flip out on people who dont like it, its not like its the Bible and stands for everything you believe in, it means nothing. nor should s you judge someone who likes it.
everyone's entitled to their opinion of a fiction book that has absolutely no basis in reality.

message 16: by Kayla (new)

Kayla Yeah. I personally love it, but by bestie hates it. I'm fine with other people's opinions.

message 17: by Madeline (new)

Madeline same here. i just dont think people need to be so extreme and upset about it, ya know?

message 18: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay (vabookworm87) I've always been more of a "shrug it off" kind of person. If I don't like something, I move on. I hadn't heard anything from a fan on my reviews in a while, but all of a sudden last night I got another hate mail. I can't say I've ever wanted to write a hateful email to someone because their opinion differed from my own. Live and let live, I say!

message 19: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (krystal_f) | 1609 comments I've heard MANY people say that Stephenie Meyer's writing is bad, I'm no professional writer so I really didnt see anything blatantly "wrong" with her writing. She's definetly no Jane Austen, but I don't think she was trying to be. I think she was doing her best at being true to herself and writing this story in the best way that she knew how. I'm a BIG advocate of people being genuine, and pursuing their dreams regardless of the "rules" so I can TOTALLY respect Stephenie Meyers work and what shes done.

Now, as for the Twilight Series. Me and Twilight had a love/hate relationship (I've written about the details i dont like in my reviews also). I started to dislike Bella at the end of New Moon, and I HATED her in Eclipse. And then Breaking Dawn came around (which I think is the best book in the series) and redeemed the whole series for me.

So I completely agree with you that Bella did have many moments of stupid irrational behavior, but I almost think Stephenie made her that irrational just so we could say the mega-change that took place in her once she became a vamp. She was more independant, mature, and less irrational.

The book also teaches some GREAT things to adolescents. Mainly that love does not equal sex. Just because your in love with someone doesnt mean you have to sleep with them. I love that they waited until marriage before letting anything happen, yea Bella let him sleep in her bed, but that was just innocent hanging out. Kids nowadays do way more than that.

As far as the hype,that comes with the territory when your target audience is teens. They are the most fanatical fans out there! Ahh...I remember what a HUGE fanatic I was about NSYNC!

message 20: by Terri (new)

Terri (clanmoran) | 286 comments Krystal---I pretty much agree with all you have said and it was Well said!!--especially like what you said it teaches adolescents,I so wish more books went that route.

message 21: by Alethea (new)

Alethea Rivera (alethearivera) i agree with krystal. i'm no professional writer so i'm not going to judge.

message 22: by Bekah (last edited May 13, 2010 11:09AM) (new)

Bekah Denton (bekah_) | 12 comments I like twilight but hate the films. I have to admit though after i started to read other books i found that i didnt have the same 'wow' quality it used to. I still do like the books though!

Through my twilight journey i found this guy on tubeyou who is going through each chapter at a time of twilight and made a comedy commentary, which is soooo hilarious, twilight lovers and haters will love this! Just to let you know the begining is of a girl, it just takes a few moments to get into it.

Heres the link if you want to see it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L253V...

Or if your like me and scared of catching viruses on links type in alex reads twilight in the youtube search box.
(chap 7 is my favourite)

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

LOL! ive just watched the 1st vid. so funny!

message 24: by Alethea (new)

Alethea Rivera (alethearivera) gotta wait to get home to watch them. can't wait.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

you at school?

message 26: by Alethea (new)

Alethea Rivera (alethearivera) yeah. how about you???

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

at home. I came back hours ago. I really need to start on my homework

message 28: by Alethea (new)

Alethea Rivera (alethearivera) lol. school is about to done in thirty minutes. can't wait. but i can't say that i hate this class. i get to be on the computer. yay.

message 29: by Bekah (new)

Bekah Denton (bekah_) | 12 comments at school :L tut tut. Im at home :) 8.42 pm. Should be doing revision got exams next week :S GCSE's :(

message 30: by Alethea (new)

Alethea Rivera (alethearivera) wow. it's barely 2:44 where i'm from.

message 31: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (krystal_f) | 1609 comments oh wow! Bekah where are you from. Im in Florida so like Alethea its almost 3pm here!

message 32: by Terri (new)

Terri (clanmoran) | 286 comments Got you all beat---its not even lunch time here yet. West Coast at its best :-)

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Sorry i like them

message 34: by Alethea (new)

Alethea Rivera (alethearivera) i'm curious too. where is she from. and krystal, i love florida. i went to orlando for a field trip. and i'm sure you know where i went. disney world. funnest days of my life.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Pennsylvaina

message 36: by Alethea (new)

Alethea Rivera (alethearivera) huh.

message 37: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (krystal_f) | 1609 comments Yeah Im a big fat kid at heart so Disney World is going down in history as the happiest place on earth.

message 38: by Kayla (new)

Kayla I hear TONS of people at my school saying that stephenie's writing is terrible, but I think it's perfectly fine.

message 39: by Alethea (new)

Alethea Rivera (alethearivera) yeah, i agree. i'm not saying it's the best but i think its fine.

message 40: by Kayla (new)

Kayla Yeah. I mean, if you don't like the book storyline that's fine but you shouldn't go and insult the author!

message 41: by Alethea (new)

Alethea Rivera (alethearivera) i agree. were no professionals, whats the point on insulting them. it just seems childish to me. to be quite honest.

message 42: by Kayla (new)

Kayla Yeah, and I feel bad for people who insult it online or on tv and maybe she sees it! Would you want someone to be telling the whole world that they think your writing sucks? I don't think so!

message 43: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay (vabookworm87) I'm a professional book reviewer, so I can take the liberty of saying she has the writing skill level of a 14 year old girl.

Many authors actually ask for such feedback. I have authors contacting me regularly asking me to read their latest novels and give them feedback. They like to know about the quality of the plot, but one of the things they like to get feedback on the most is the quality of the writing. For some, it's disheartening, but for most, it's a learning opportunity. They then improve their writing skills through workshops and other things for their next piece.

message 44: by Stephanie, Loves Vamps and Werewolves but Zombies scare me!! (last edited May 13, 2010 04:58PM) (new)

Stephanie | 4175 comments Mod
I have to say something here...not to step on anyones toes or anything BUT...The book has sold more than 80 MILLION copies so while her writing may not live up to some peoples expectations it sure seems to be good enough for an awful lot of people!! I for one read books simply for enjoyment and I try not to tear them apart and over analyze them.

message 45: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay (vabookworm87) I read it for the purpose of enjoyment. I generally don't analyze the books I read for fun, since I know it ruins the fun. And the reason I like the movies is because the plot is decent. Her writing was just so bad that it stood out. And of course she'd sell 80 million copies... 12 year old girls aren't exactly stellar writers themselves.

message 46: by Kayla (new)

Kayla yeah, I still don't see what on earth is wrong with her writing. And hey, who says twelve year olds don't write well! I'm getting a book published and I'm thirteen!

message 47: by Stephanie, Loves Vamps and Werewolves but Zombies scare me!! (new)

I know for a fact that not only 12 year old girls read her books. maybe I'm just biased considering this is my group but I really didn't see anything wrong with her writing and I am an english major. I enjoyed the books far more than the movies...which I have to admit are very cheesy in many parts. As for young girls being complete mental cases without a man by their side...I have to say that with my own experiences at 17 and with the experiences of teenage girls I know that pretty much sums it up. I can remember being 17 and feeling like my boyfriend was my whole world and that if we broke up it would be the end of me. Is it the right way to feel as a teen? No probably not but it is a very real feeling that many young girls go through and can relate to. Now that I am an adult I can look back and laugh about those feelings but at the time they were crushing, confusing and very, very real.

message 48: by Lois Ella (new)

Lois Ella (miskyella) | 83 comments I think that every body has their own taste for books, I mean here in Cusco I am considered wierd because I read alot. My tastes differ from a lot a people, so like I said "to each their own taste"
but I think this was a good topic to discuss.

message 49: by Stephanie, Loves Vamps and Werewolves but Zombies scare me!! (new)

Oh I completely agree...I mean if you go to anyones profile on here you can compare books and lots of people that I have become really good friends with have the complete opposite taste in books.

I just personally think that Twilight hits on a lot of very real topics for young adults.

message 50: by Kayla (new)

Kayla Yeah, me too.

« previous 1