Apocalyptic and Post-Apocalyptic Fiction discussion

New Members > Guidelines

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (cannonalexandra) Just introduce yourselves! Give us some information; your reading habits, your favorite PA book, how you got into apocalyptic reading. Anything that might be relevant, or irrelevant but interesting!

message 2: by Taba (new)

Taba (magicalcatboy) | 1 comments Good day/morning/night/evening all~
Founder knows me, but for everyone else:
Name's Taba~
Since my reads of choice are generally fantasy and scifi, they usually end up being apocalyptic/PA by default~
And I guess that's how that started.
Favorite author for these? Theres definitely more than one, but I really like the works of Sherri S. Tepper.

Actually.. now that I think about it, I have always loved movies such as Armageddon, Deep Impact, Independence Day, and Titan A.E. And my first read of the sorts was Remnants by K.A. Applegate, the author of Animorphs (that is, if that series itself doesn't count). So, if anything, that must be my definitive PA starting point.

message 3: by Brandy (new)

Brandy Hunt Hello, I'm Brandy. I love the post apocalyptic genre, mainly zombies and plagues, but a good natural disaster is good too.

message 4: by Elsa (new)

Elsa (Elsa7256) | 1 comments Hello to everyone- I'm Bridgette Michelle Anderson new to the boards =) I wrote a book called Blood Loss and it will be available on amazon Jan. 22nd 2011- It is of course a zombie novella. A shameless self promotion =)

View all my zombie novels -http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Auth...

message 5: by Chris (new)

Chris Daruns | 1 comments Hello,

Name's Chris. I love post-apocalyptic fiction so much it scares my friends and family. Its a bit of a problem. My favorite PA books are The Stand, Lucifer's Hammer, and The Earth Abides. Check them out if you haven't already. Each one is a swift repeated punch in the face. If anyone has some good PA recommendations, I'm all ears (eyes?). Yeah.

message 6: by Ballz (new)

Ballz | 1 comments Hi,

Name is Ballz.
I got into PA fiction mainly because of World War Z. From there I read most of the Zombie fiction out there and have branched off to other PA fiction.

Looking for a good discussion group for this genre

message 7: by Antonio (new)

Antonio (niografix) | 1 comments I say check out The Passage by Justin Cronin. It, was pa with vampires(creature-like, non sexy) that were gruesome and a story of survival.

Ballz wrote: "Hi,

Name is Ballz.
I got into PA fiction mainly because of World War Z. From there I read most of the Zombie fiction out there and have branched off to other PA fiction.

Looking for a good..."

KI

message 8: by Mitchell (new)

Mitchell Cook | 1 comments Hello everyone!

My name is Mitch and during the summer of last year, I published my first novel. It's called Z1N1: The Zombie Pandemic.

Check it out in hardback form on various sites such as Amazon and Barnes & Noble. It's also available in kindle and soon to be on Nook.

Here is a link to my page from Outskirts Press if you are interested.

http://outskirtspress.com/webpage.php...

Thanks for having me!!

message 9: by Mike (new)

Mike (krassos) | 2 comments Mike. I got into PA fiction either through The Tripods Trilogy by John Christopher(6th grade teacher read it to the class), or the Mad Max movies. Been reading, watching and writing ever since.

message 10: by Brett (new)

Brett Battles | 1 comments Hi all. I'm Brett Battles...a long time fan of apocalyptic novels...Lucifer's Hammer, The White Plague, The Stand, Malevil, On The Beach...have read each multiple times. I'm a novelist, author of the Jonathan Quinn thriller series. Have just brought out the first of a new pre-apocalyptical series, a book called SICK.
Love these kind of books. Always have. Always will.

message 11: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Hey ya'll. My name is Andrew and I LOVE dystopian fiction. I got into it because I have always loved movies like Armageddon, Deep Impact, and even 2012.

The first one I read, called One Second After by William R. Forchsten was absolutely gripping and has had an everlasting effect on me. I still think about that novel. It really affected me. After that, I have been able to pick up Lucifer's Hammer, Eden (by Matthew Plourdes), and the Great and Terrible series (a Mormon outlook on the end), and the Omega Point by Whitley Strieber.

I currently have these ready to read for myself: Alas, Babylon, Earth Abides, and I really really want to read the Road. How is everyone?

message 12: by Liz (new)

Liz Bell | 1 comments Hi everyone! I am grateful for discovering Goodreads! Such great exposure. I am a 32 year old chick living in Manhattan and I’ve written two books, NOTHING like one another. One is a YA dystopian novel about a girl who is born into the Illuminati, but is unable to be programmed or brainwashed. She therefore is an outcast among the “Others” (everyone else other than the Illuminati) and her own cult. She grows to see how evil a conspiracy she was born into and quests on a search for her mother who ran away when she was little, and answers. Only 99 cents, give it a shot!

http://www.amazon.com/Luminous-Altern...

My other novel is an adult fiction work, based on my real life high school bullying experiences (hence the similarities in the name). Listina is an angry bitter alcoholic who is barely functioning and stumbles upon diaries that she knows she is afraid to read. She does, after hitting rock bottom, she knows her spiral downward is going to kill her. She relives every humiliating memory one by one, being bullied by her own friends as well as other girls. Here are links to my social media below. Enjoy!

http://www.amazon.com/Living-Dog-Year...

https://twitter.com/TheDogYears

message 13: by Nina (new)

Nina (nossanna) | 1 comments Hi, I'm happy to find this group. Having been trained as a microbiologist (Andromeda Strain was my inspiration), I like plague stories in particular. I just finished a couple excellent books: Cyberstorm (Matthew Mather) and Ametsapolis Rising (Shaun Mayandee). My favorites, beside Andromeda Strain, are Years of Rice and Salt and The Stand.

message 14: by S.K. (new)

S.K. Munt (wordwhisperer) | 2 comments Hi I'm Sammy from Australia. I've had a keen interest in Apocalyptic/Dystopian fiction since I first read Tomorrow, When the War Began (Tomorrow, #1) by John Marsden and The Stand by Stephen King . I'm a big genre ho- I jump all over the place- but I've finished my first zombie apocalypse novel and it's being published later this week :) Palpitations by S.K. Munt

message 15: by Corey (last edited Sep 19, 2015 10:27PM) (new)

Corey Lamb (officialcoreylamb) | 1 comments Hi there! I've actually been a member of this group for some time, but I never got around to introducing myself. Better late than never, right?

My name is Corey (C.L. Allen, officially), and I am a writer. Though I've taken stabs at other genres, I've only ever published Apocalyptic fiction (like my dark comedy series I Am Become Zombie by C.L. Allen ).

I'm a huge fan of The Stand, as I see some of you are. And zombie fiction will always hold a special place in my heart.

See you around!

message 16: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Pierce | 4 comments Hello, my name is Geoffrey Pierce. I am an English teacher and although I had read post-apocalyptic novels before, such as The Stand, it was The Road that really got me turned on to this genre. I just published my own post-apocalyptic novel, Manna City.

https://www.amazon.com/Manna-City-Geo...

Thanks for having me.

message 17: by Ming (new)

Ming Wei | 1 comments Hello my name is Ming Wei, I have been reading Post-apocalyptic novels for more that 10 years, I also watch lots of movies and TV Series. I have been watching The Walking Dead series in the past couples of months, I enjoy zombies, virus outbreaks, and vampires, last week I watch the movie The Colony, a kind of post apocalyptic movie in the winter, good stuff. Really happy to join this group

message 18: by Mark (new)

Mark Kirkbride | 1 comments Hi, my name's Mark. I write, run and read. I love horror and science fiction and I guess PA is right at the intersection of those. My favourite PA novel is probably I Am Legend, with The Stand a close second. I'm looking forward to discovering many more great authors and books.

message 19: by Ginny (new)

Ginny Bowman | 1 comments Hi, I'm Ginny! I think I was seven when I designed my first bomb shelter, so I'm not really sure what my first introduction to the genre was. I know one of my first favorite books was The Pastel City by M. John Harrison, but recently I've been devouring The City series by Sarah Lyons Fleming.