Christian Goodreaders discussion

Fiction: specific authors/books > A Canticle for Leibowitz

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 111 comments I just finished this a few minutes ago. A wonderful weekend read. Anyone else impressed with Miller's skill and presentation of so many Cold War inspired philosophical and theological questions? Preservation of secular sources through a 'dark age'; renaissance and rediscoveries and conscience and responsibility; euthanasia.

Not being Catholic, I can't speak to whether his portrayal of the monks of the Albertian Order of Leibowtiz offended or not.

message 2: by Werner (new)

Werner | 1907 comments Yes, Jon, I've read A Canticle for Leibowitz, and reviewed it here on Goodreads. I gave it five stars, and it's (so far) my all-time favorite SF novel. Of course, I'm a sucker for post-apocalyptic scenarios (that's one of my favorite fields in the whole SF genre); but I really think this book has a LOT of depth --more so even than Dune, and it's enhanced by its Christian perspective. Miller was a literary genius of the first rank, IMO.

message 3: by Ron (new)

Ron | 79 comments I liked it and I like post-apocalypse stories, but not as much as Werner. It was good.