What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Brief History of the Dead
This topic is about The Brief History of the Dead
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. the last person on earth [s]

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Neile (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:16PM) (new) - added it

Neile Cooper | 2 comments I devoured this book, but I guess I didn't quite digest it, because I completely forget what it was. I keep having deja vu about it:

Tainted Coca-Cola is killing off the human race. When people die, they go to a city populated by people still connected to the living. That city empties out as humanity dies, leaving only people connected to the last living person, a researcher on the North Pole. (or something like that.)

It was published in the past year. I got it from the New Releases shelf at the library, but it's not there any more.

message 2: by Peggy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:16PM) (new)

Peggy | 21 comments I can't find a description of the book (beyond "a collection of short stories) to save my life, but Dave Godfrey wrote a book called Death Goes Better With Coca-Cola. Could that be it?

message 3: by Laura (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:16PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Laura (laurahogan) | 72 comments You're talking about A Brief History of the Dead, by Kevin Brockmeier. People have had mixed reactions to it, but I thought it was a very fine book, too.

message 4: by Neile (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:16PM) (new) - added it

Neile Cooper | 2 comments Thanks so much. I think I'll be re-reading it this weekend...and paying attention this time.

message 5: by Nate (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:16PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nate (innatejames) | 2 comments I admired this book. The Truth about Celia, his first book was also memorable and different.

message 6: by Laura (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:16PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Laura (laurahogan) | 72 comments It got a pan the likes of which I've rarely seen in the Sunday Times Book Review, but frankly, I think the critic (and I don't remember who it was) didn't understand the point of the book.

message 7: by Rosa (new)