Write in 2014 discussion

Writers A-D > Better Late than Never - Bryan's Story Time

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Malin (new)

Malin (Tusenord) If literary agent Janet Reid saw this post, she'll freak out. She hates people saying "fictional novel" - novels are per definition fictional.

So where does this history novel takes place?

message 2: by Dee (new)

Dee Marie (dee_marie) | 309 comments Mod
Hi Bryan,
Welcome to our group. I look forward to reading your story.

message 3: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wendyswore) | 215 comments Howdy Bryan,
So you have kids? You can see mine in my Avatar. Cute little buggars drive me craz--er I mean I love them. yup. that's what I meant.

Are you a stay at home dad then?

message 4: by Callie (new)

Callie (neverlandcallie) :D awesome!

message 5: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wendyswore) | 215 comments Hey guys! Will you check out my thread and vote for the picture you'd like to see on the back cover of Unlocked? (book going to be released on August 13th)

We need your vote. Thanks!

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/2...

message 6: by Malin (new)

Malin (Tusenord) So, is Book I, II and III like chapters or do you work on them all simultaneously?

message 7: by Malin (new)

Malin (Tusenord) Sounds like an interesting way to view a story actually. Might help with balancing out the plot and get the pacing right.

Is the larger empire based on any real empire, or is this all fictional?

message 8: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Borland (kgborland) Bryan wrote: "The larger empire has elements of actual ones, like the organization of the fighting forces into "legions" of footmen with local auxiliaries as horsemen. Other pieces are taken piecemeal from hist..."

How close are you to being done? Sorry just jumped on in to this thread for the first time :P

message 9: by Malin (new)

Malin (Tusenord) It sounds like you put a lot of effort and thought into it, and that's a mark of a real writer to me.

message 10: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Borland (kgborland) Sounds like a realistic plan. If you need someone to beta-read for you i would gladly read your book once you finish the first draft. It sounds really interesting.

message 11: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Borland (kgborland) Sounds good.

message 12: by Malin (new)

Malin (Tusenord) Late nights are sometimes the best writing times.

message 13: by Malin (new)

Malin (Tusenord) I agree on it being better to edit out stuff, however I always seem to end up adding about 10% ! Then, I do write very "slim".

message 14: by Malin (new)

Malin (Tusenord) A lot of writing! What is it that keeps adding words? Complicated plot point refusing to unravel?

message 15: by Malin (new)

Malin (Tusenord) Cool! Keep at it! Do you have an outline you work with?

message 16: by Malin (new)

Malin (Tusenord) Do you have problems with the "future" scenes you've written/imagined suddenly doesn't fit in the story? That happens to me all the time and I'm not sure how to handle it.

message 17: by Malin (new)

Malin (Tusenord) Who said that? Sounds awfully unenthusiastic.

message 18: by Malin (new)

Malin (Tusenord) That's good! Back on your feet and all that what you say.

message 19: by Malin (new)

Malin (Tusenord) That was an interesting story. I want to see more about the people in the setting (I love characters!). Was the tense change meant to be there? And I like the poem reference. Was it a theme of sorts?

I'm sorry you're still down. Can I cheer you on somehow?

message 20: by Malin (new)

Malin (Tusenord) Scene description - Like an outline of the actual scene, or just like trying out a specific style?

I think it makes an interesting opening. You could do flashbacks describing her life and how each person saw her.

message 21: by Malin (new)

Malin (Tusenord) Sounds great! Music is a great inspiration, and so are friends. I'm so glad you're back. And time is never wasted (never regret! it changes nothing).

:D