Terminalcoffee discussion

Celebrate > The first Friday in May is always No Pants Day!-> May Day->Anthony posts pictures of his huge Maypole!

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heidi (last edited Apr 27, 2010 10:49PM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I shall wear a skirt. I have plenty of skirts.

So... are you gonna celebrate No Pants Day? :)

(Awwww yeah!!!)

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank goodness 'No Pants Day' doesn't exist here. I would have nothing to wear. :)

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey Heidi. It says that wearing a skirt is cheating.

message 4: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments What are they... like the fashion police? Are they gonna arrest me?

I think wearing a skirt should count.

message 5: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Dangit! :(

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

RA can't wear his kilt either!!!

message 7: by Cambridge (new)

Cambridge (hsquare) | 509 comments Game on! :)

message 8: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17345 comments Mod
How about that dirty "first of may" song by Johnathan somehting? Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

I love spring/ May Day. I was really hoping Leah would have held on to have her birthday on the first of may.

Did anyone else used to celebrate May Day by making baskets of flowers and delivering them to your friends' doorsteps by placing flowers anonymously, ringing doorbell, and running away? We'd make these big, fancy elaborate baskets out of things like strawberry containers or paper cones and fill them with popcorn, candy, tulips, daffodils, m&m's.

message 9: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Heidi, what part of pants do you not understand? Skirts, shorts, dresses, bike shorts, capris, kilts, etc., are considered "pants". Therefore, you should only be wearing panties.

I'll be wearing my boxers that day.

message 10: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments Sally, no. That sounds lovely. I think I'm going to start that tradition, maybe. I do remember ribbons and a may pole or something. What is Mayday?

message 11: by Sally, la reina (new)

It is a Scandanavian ritual/tradition/holiday, is all i know. Did you ever read Mists of Avalon? I think Marion Zimmer (?) explains it in there.

message 12: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments Interesting...

message 13: by Heidi (last edited Apr 28, 2010 07:13AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Sally wrote: "It is a Scandanavian ritual/tradition/holiday, is all i know. Did you ever read Mists of Avalon? I think Marion Zimmer (?) explains it in there."

Marion Zimmer Bradley wrote it. It's one of my all-time favorite books ever, ever.

We celebrated May Day as The Day of Mary when I was a kid...

In fact, we had crowning ceremonies for Mary every Friday afternoon during my elementary school years at a Catholic school. We'd make baskets on Fridays with offerings for her with flowers and sweets and sing songs (some of my favorites, actually, from my childhood) - imagine sitting in a large open field with hundreds of other school children and teachers and nuns... and everyone is singing these songs on a gorgeous Friday May morning.

It was considered a HUGE honor to be the child chosen to crown her. The crown we'd place on the Mary statue was always a beautiful, elaborate crown of fragrant flowers. I was picked to crown her once - got the news earlier in the week, so I spent all week preparing to NOT screw up. I remember being SO nervous about the ceremony that morning and then just finally hitting this place of reverence and grace during the ceremony, and it was really all very cool. And then walking back to my seat and singing along with everyone else with a huge grin on my face, feeling blessed.

Anyway, in reading Mists of Avalon, I was reminded of those May crowning ceremonies. Also, there was a Maypole at Blooms!Fest a couple of weekends ago, with Maypole dancers who taught the Maypole dance to the children. It was fun to watch. I have pictures (already posted on FB). I may have to post some here later.

I went back to my elementary school for the first time in over 20 years two years ago. And all those good feelings came rushing back when I looked over the field where we'd do the Mary crowning ceremony... except the field was decorated with pumpkins at the time, I supposed they were decorations, but they were right under the statue of Mary... and I'm sure they were really offerings. I love the rituals in the Catholic church... and was fascinated as a kid by the connection/roots to pagan ceremonies.

message 14: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments How lovely!!

message 15: by Anthony (last edited Apr 28, 2010 08:00AM) (new)

Anthony Buckley (anthonydbuckley) | 145 comments Gretchen wrote: " I do remember ribbons and a may pole or something."

In the centre of my town (Holywood, Co Down) we have one of the few remaining maypoles in Ireland. There is evidence of a maypole here in the 17th century. Anyhow, on the first Monday in May (this coming Monday)there is a big festival in the town, entertainments, charity stalls, and centrally maypole dancing. The maypole always falls over every 20 years or so so it has to be replaced, and there have been long periods when it didn't exist. All the same, there it is. I can see it from my living room.

message 16: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments lookin' like a fool with your pants on the ground

message 17: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments just thought i would open up that 15 min of fame again

message 18: by Zen (new)

Zen (zentea) | 515 comments I am going to borrow one of Severin's onesies.

message 19: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11677 comments A difficult day for those who prefer to go commando.

message 20: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments as far as i know we don't have no pants day, but today i did wear a skirt which is very rare. my coat is almost as long as the skirt so it was almost like i was not wearing pants. i'm a little sad no one asked me if skirt was sick.

message 21: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) I'd like to propose a "Going Commando" day. Preferably some time in the early summer, when it's not too hot, and your privates wouldn't mind the heat so much.

message 22: by Cambridge (new)

Cambridge (hsquare) | 509 comments Every day should be "commando" day Gus :)

And BunWat quotes: "outdoor fucking starts today"

I am thinking this is turning into my favorite site ;)

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

I loved Bun's quote too Cambridge.

I guess I better call and warn the neighbors to close all their windows tonight ;-D

message 24: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments yup...these are my friends

message 25: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments That reminds me of a lecture on the cultural influence of the Rites of Spring ballet in which the professor said "This is going to get racy. It would be a good time for all the virgins in the class to go to McDonald's. See you later."

message 26: by Cambridge (last edited Apr 28, 2010 02:22PM) (new)

Cambridge (hsquare) | 509 comments OMG Barb I am so going to do that too, hahahah. Great Idea! *I love the Hooray Hooray part it makes me smile every time i read it*

message 27: by Sally, la reina (new)

Anthony wrote: "Gretchen wrote: " I do remember ribbons and a may pole or something."

In the centre of my town (Holywood, Co Down) we have one of the few remaining maypoles in Ireland. There is evidence of a mayp..."

Coooool!

message 28: by Sally, la reina (new)

BunWat wrote: "Hooray hooray the first of may, outdoor fucking starts today is a Beltane song. "

Those are the lyrics to this guy's song! It's not his song? Its ancient? That makes it so much better. Wow!

message 29: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Love it, Tawnub. :) Anthony, I would love it if you'd post pictures of the Maypole you can see out your window! That's so cool!

message 30: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Buckley (anthonydbuckley) | 145 comments I'll see what I can do. I have some from last year, I think.

message 31: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments WOO HOOOOO!!!! Thanks, Anthony. That's so cool!

message 32: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Buckley (anthonydbuckley) | 145 comments I've put five photos of last year's May Day event on the "photo" tab at the top right of this page. We have dozens more, but I didn't want to overdo it.

message 33: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments HOLY CRAP! That's a HUGE Maypole, Anthony!!! :)

message 34: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments TWSS :)

message 35: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments (wassat?)

message 36: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments (that's what she said)

message 37: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Buckley (anthonydbuckley) | 145 comments The story is that at some past time, the mast of a shipwrecked ship was salvaged and put up as a maypole. Actually, the maypoles don't last very long (20 years if we are lucky) but they are replaced with one of the same design. The cause of a maypole falling over is usually when a vehicle bangs into it.

Also, when a "local" person dies the flag is flown at half mast from the maypole. I have only lived here 37 years, so I probably won't qualify.

message 38: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments ONLY 37 years?!! That's a hearty stay, I'd say. I don't imagine you've ever lived anywhere else as long.

message 39: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments The description of the Beltane celebrations in Mists of Avalon (and the other books in the Avalon series) always fascinated me. They seemed like good ole camping fun... or well, maybe that's not the best comparison.

message 40: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments Heidi wrote: "ONLY 37 years?!! That's a hearty stay, I'd say. I don't imagine you've ever lived anywhere else as long."

the real locals are probably only people who were born there and who's family has lived there for at least 5 may poles.

message 41: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I am not mature enough for this conversation. Too many "pole" references.

message 42: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments yup. me too RA. about like someone saying beaver

message 43: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments :) I did that on purpose.

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Well I'd like to say I'm more mature than RA and Kevin. I'd like to be able to say that.

message 45: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments any maypole sightings on may day?

message 46: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I think they might be illegal where I live.