We Love Lisa Kleypas discussion

Off Topic (Non-Kleypas Chat) > Tidbits, trivia and other fun facts

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments This is a thread for interesting tidbits, trivia and other fun facts. Thanks for suggesting it, Robin!!!

message 2: by Robin (new)

Robin  | 361 comments Charles Darwin and Abraham Lincoln were born on the very same day: February 12, 1809.

message 3: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Armadillos jump straight up in the air when surprised, which is why so many die from being run over by cars.

message 4: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments The human heart produces enough pressure to squirt blood 30 feet

message 5: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (ghemomma) | 900 comments That's disgusting.

message 6: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Cheryl, it immediately made me think of Matt and Mark and their spooging for distance contests at Oxford. LOLOL

message 7: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (ghemomma) | 900 comments Ahahahahahahhahaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 8: by Rochelle (last edited Apr 28, 2010 05:50AM) (new)

Rochelle (toastqueen) | 9 comments UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Cheryl, it immediately made me think of Matt and Mark and their spooging for distance contests at Oxford. LOLOL"

WHAT?!?

message 9: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (ghemomma) | 900 comments Rochelle... in the book Passion... read it and you'll know what she's talking about! Great book!!

message 10: by Rochelle (new)

Rochelle (toastqueen) | 9 comments Cheryl wrote: "Rochelle... in the book Passion... read it and you'll know what she's talking about! Great book!!"

Oh my!
It's on my to-read list, but it's one of those I'm tentative of getting from the library because of the cover! ;)

message 11: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (ghemomma) | 900 comments Oh yeah, I hate getting books from the library with couples embracing on the cover... me and my librarian always get a good laugh over them though! Keep in mind too that it is a very explicit book!

message 12: by Rochelle (new)

Rochelle (toastqueen) | 9 comments Cheryl wrote: "Oh yeah, I hate getting books from the library with couples embracing on the cover... me and my librarian always get a good laugh over them though! Keep in mind too that it is a very explicit book!"

Yeah, I think it might be one I just buy! :)

message 13: by Sonia (last edited Apr 28, 2010 01:20PM) (new)

Sonia (rosepup) | 139 comments Interesting thread! Had to peek in here. Brought something to share too. Sometimes its winning that matters, not the money. Naw, the "Did you know" is as follows...

The Duke of Guise (1519-1563) had bet all his wealth, almost 8 million pounds, on one card. Though the chances of winning were 1/400, luckily he won. The Duke won 20,000 pounds and that too he gave away as a tip to the messenger who brought this good news to him.

message 14: by Robin (last edited Apr 28, 2010 04:13PM) (new)

Robin  | 361 comments I couldn't find Passion in my area so I got it an e-book. That sentence doesn't sound right but I'm leaving it as is.

message 15: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (rosepup) | 139 comments May lil me humbly suggest we highlight the facts et al. in bold so they pop out for easy reading? *Adds the magic word PEEZ, PEEZ!!*

message 16: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (ghemomma) | 900 comments Sonia wrote: "May lil me humbly suggest we highlight the facts et al. in bold so they pop out for easy reading? *Adds the magic word PEEZ, PEEZ!!*"

I don't see why not? I say go for it!

message 17: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (rosepup) | 139 comments Cheryl wrote: "I don't see why not? I say go for it!"

Did!

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Your foot is the same length as your arm from wrist to elbow!

You just measured didn't you?

message 19: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Sure did! LOL

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

LOL Dhes, I know people will!

It is impossible to LICK you elbow....yep, you just tried that one too didn't you?

message 21: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (last edited Apr 30, 2010 11:39AM) (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Now, that one I didn't try. I'm wearing a long sleeved shirt. No desire to lick my cotton/poly blend. LOL

message 22: by Robin (new)

Robin  | 361 comments I tried the foot one but not the elbow but I must admit I have in the past.

I've heard It's impossible to keep your eyes open when you sneeze

message 23: by HankMakesThings (new)

HankMakesThings | 3 comments George W Bush and Hugh Hefner are cousins!

message 24: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (ghemomma) | 900 comments Casey wrote: "George W Bush and Hugh Hefner are cousins!"

WHAT??? That's crazy!

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Casey wrote: "George W Bush and Hugh Hefner are cousins!"

That's hilarious! Haaaaaaa!

message 26: by Julianna (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 380 comments Casey wrote: "George W Bush and Hugh Hefner are cousins!"

This was so bizarre, I had to look it up just to find out the story behind it. They are indeed ninth cousins twice removed, as are George W. Bush and his former presidential challenger, John Kerry. Here's an article about it with lots of other fascinating info on their family ties:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/0...

message 27: by Robin (new)

Robin  | 361 comments I followed the link and read the article about Bush and Kerry, very interesting. I have a question though what exactly does it mean when you have a _th cousin who is x removed? I understand the number part but don't get the removed portion.

message 28: by Julianna (last edited May 05, 2010 04:09PM) (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 380 comments The whole cousins thing has always been very confusing to me too. Here's an article on Wikipedia that explains it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cousin

message 29: by Robin (new)

Robin  | 361 comments Thank you Julie. I'm still not sure I understand. I also think I'll just stick to referring to my cousins who have the same Great Grandfather as me as my cousins and leave it at that.

message 30: by Julianna (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 380 comments You're welcome, Robin. Plain old "cousin" works just fine for me too.;-)

message 31: by [deleted user] (last edited May 11, 2010 12:14PM) (new)

Did you know there are only two rivers in the world that run north?

The Nile and the Genesee.

message 32: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (last edited May 10, 2010 01:02PM) (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments I didn't know that, Heidi. We went on a trip to Yellowstone and when we crossed the Continental Divide it was weird how the rivers started flowing in a different direction. Weird, but very cool.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

I only know this 'cause the Genesee is not far from me! LOL

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Did you know that President Lincoln's secretaries last name was Kennedy and President Kennedy's secretaries last name was Lincoln?