Cover to Cover Challenge discussion

Read-A-Thon Progress and Discussion -- April

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Please use this thread for posting your updates, motivating other readers, providing any help or fun, having fun quizzes, general chit-chat, and just about anything.

Participation in this thread is voluntary, and is only meant to provide everyone a thread to talk about their reading progress and anything else on their minds. If you'd rather just provide a complete summary at the end, that's fine too. Have fun!

message 2: by Valorie (new)

Valorie T-minus 5 min for me!! Good luck everyone and happy reading!!

message 3: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Okay, my clock says it's "go" time so I say we officially start!! Good luck and have fun! Post your updates as often as you want. ;-)

message 4: by Nairabell (new)

Nairabell Woohoo! Time to start in the UK! Good luck and happy reading guys :) I'm off to get reading...

message 5: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (bjrose) | 93 comments Officially reading from these page #s:

I'm beginning on page 62 of Bitten & on page 70 of Speaker for the Dead

message 6: by Linda (last edited Apr 29, 2010 01:08PM) (new)

Linda (mslinda8393) | 51 comments I'm going to do better with this Read-a-thon.

Read:

1. Storm Cycle by Iris Johansen.

message 7: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 65 comments Happy Reading!

message 8: by Athira (new)

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) (readingonarainyday) Hope you all are having fun fun fun reading! I don't think I can make it .. horribly busy day and my head's on its last pair of batteries.

Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!

message 9: by Roseann (new)

Roseann | 185 comments Here's to breaking my final read-a-thon total, 7 books, 1,717 pages. I'm going to keep track of time read this time too.

Just finished: THE LIGHT OF DAY by Graham Swift, 323 pgs.

So at 2 hrs. 53 mins. reding time.

1 book
323 pgs.

message 10: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Just finished my first book, but started it in progress, so read 138 pages. Made progress in my other 2 books too and started a new one. I'm trying to keep 3 books going the whole time.

Anyway, first book finished is Breathless by Dean Koontz.

Jamie Bitzenhofer | 21 comments I've finished one book ("The Unbearable Lightness of Being") and am on the next. I've still got a few hours access to a computer, but then I probably won't be able to update a final total for a day or two . . .

message 12: by Lisa S (new)

Lisa S (kasey_k_fan) Good luck you guys

message 13: by Valorie (new)

Valorie I'm taking a 30 min dinner break, so I thought I would check in! Hope everyone is doing well. I'm a little over halfway through my first book!

message 14: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 394 comments Oops, forgot today was read-a-ton day. I've spend most of the last 12 or so hours with my daughter and NOT reading. Ah well, I'm still solidly in the "black" as it were for my 144. So I'm not going to sweat it.

message 15: by Kristin (new)

Kristin (hockeygirl66) Good luck everyone! Remember-coffee is your friend!

message 16: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 776 comments Mod
i'm dragging a bit, spent most of the day asleep with a headache, but now post chiropractor visit feeling much better and, finished 2 of my in progress books:

Current Read-a-Thon Page Count
477 pages

Twice Loved - LaVyrle Spencer - (started at page 122) - 252 pages
Legend - Jude Deveraux - started at page 191 - 225

I'm just starting my 8 hour shift for work, so hopefully can get some good reading time in

message 17: by Maicie (new)

Maicie Ugh, I had to bail after 3 hours. Got a headache. Guess I can't read for more than a couple hours at a time. You guys rock! Keep it up.

message 18: by Catherine (last edited Apr 29, 2010 08:22PM) (new)

Catherine I'm still going but frustrated at my lack of progress. Finished a second book, Ransom by Lois Duncan, but it was one of my shorter books and I want to finish the two longer ones I'm reading and it's been slow going so far. Oh well. My page count isn't going to be as high as some others but that's okay. Not sure how late I will stay up but for now I'm getting back to it!

Page count for Ransom: 172

message 19: by Roseann (last edited Apr 29, 2010 08:31PM) (new)

Roseann | 185 comments Hubby finally let me back on the computer.
One more down--

FURY by Salman Rushdie (259 pgs.)

I'm also 1/2 through another!

This brings my total to:

2 books
582 pgs.
8 hrs. 29 mins.

My hubby was laughing at me as I read while eating dinner.

message 20: by Roseann (new)

Roseann | 185 comments I guess only a few of us are posting as we go along. I guess that will make the final count postings more interesting.

Another one done--

SHROUD by John Banville (257 pgs.)

Total now:

3 books
839 pgs.
10 hrs. 57 mins. reading

message 21: by Dee (last edited Apr 29, 2010 11:46PM) (new)

Current Read-a-Thon Page Count
720 pages

Legend - Jude Deveraux - started at page 191 - 225 pages
Irish Rebel - Nora Roberts - 243 pages

message 22: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Somehow I am still up and still reading. Just finished The Help by Kathryn Stockett. Wonderful book.

Current page count: 751 pages

The Help - (started at page 208) - 243 pages
Breathless - (started at page 199) - 138 pages
Ransom - 172 pages
Die Trying - Lee Child - 54 pages so far
Snow Flower & the Secret Fan - (started at page 12) - 144 pages so far

message 23: by Nairabell (new)

Nairabell It's 9 am here in London - how're you all doing? I managed to read 3 books before I crashed out last night and I'll be off to read some more once I've had breakfast. I'll post books and pages later :)

message 24: by Afsana (new)

Afsana (afsanaz) normally can stay up till 3 at a push but was out by 12.45am last night

I have finished a book (couple of hundred pages) and half way thru another.

also finishing off audiolistened for just under an hour

I used to be able to read quicker but I think age has caught up with me

Go boys and gorls

message 25: by Nairabell (new)

Nairabell I think I fell asleep at about 1:30 and slept through my alarm so woke up at 8:45 ish. I'm my Mum's carer so I'm going to do some carer-type things and then get back to the books :)

message 26: by Afsana (new)

Afsana (afsanaz) I am listening to audio when I can not physically read a book and recording how ling I listened to it!

message 27: by Roseann (new)

Roseann | 185 comments Finished one more and actually not that tired.

THE HUNGER GAMES by Suzanne Collins (374 pgs.)

This brings me to:

4 Books
1213 pgs.
16 hrs. 32 mins. reading

message 28: by Roseann (new)

Roseann | 185 comments One more done:

IN THE FOREST by Edna O'Brien (262 pgs.)

Total so far:

5 Books
1,475 pgs.
19 hrs. 21 mins. reading

Getting a little groggy now.

message 29: by Maicie (new)

Maicie Wish I was there with all of you. I'd bring the espresso!

message 30: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (bjrose) | 93 comments Finally finished my first book, which was in progress before Readathon:
374pp. (436-62 previously read): Bitten

Also 58 pp. into Deep in the Valley and listened to about 60 more pp. of Speaker for the Dead, and the first 2 chapters of To the Last Man: A Novel of the First World War

Breakfast break is almost over, so back to reading!

message 31: by Catherine (new)

Catherine I took a break for to sleep, shower, and eat (actually, drove to Starbucks for coffee). I always have such high expectations of myself ... thinking I'll get 8 or 10 books done ... ha! But I'm having a lot of fun!!

message 32: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo Didn't make it though the night but so far read for 7 hours and 45 minutes finished one book and I read 498 pages. I took a few breaks had to run out to do something. But at least I finished a book and seeing how much I'm reading in an hour. I feel like all I'm doing is watching the clock and writing time the time I start and stop reading and how many pages. this is an hour break. So need to do other stuff online before getting back to reading.

message 33: by Roseann (new)

Roseann | 185 comments Another one finished:

THE MASTER by Colm Toibin (338 pgs.)

6 Books
1,813 pgs.
23 hrs. 25 mins. reading!

And I'm done. I think I'll collapse for a couple of hours and start on the school work I should be doing ;-).

I'll be posting my reviews on my blogs later today at:

http://roseanns1kbookchallenge.blogsp...

and

http://roseannthereadersotherbooks.bl...

if anyone is interested.

Thanks Catherins, see you next time!

message 34: by Nairabell (last edited Apr 30, 2010 12:29PM) (new)

Nairabell Oops - wrong place! Thanks Catherine :)

message 35: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (bjrose) | 93 comments My results:

Bitten - 374 pages
Deep in the Valley - 187 pages
Speaker for the Dead - 128 pages
To the Last Man: A Novel of the First World War - 28 pages (this was a little heavy-going)

Quite a bit less than the 1000 pages I expected to read, but not bad considering I used a fair part of the nighttime for sleeping. Looks like I spent 14 hours reading

Thank you, Catherine, and thanks to everyone for the timeliness of this readathon - I completed the last of my monthly challenges with this reading spurt!

message 36: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 65 comments I was only able to finish 4 books this time. Sux because i kept getting distracted by something that needed to get done. Oh and then i fell asleep around 6am this morning and didn't wake up until late.LOL

message 37: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo Okay my totals were 11 hours and 10 minutes when I figured out. I finished one book and started 2 other's. One which I might still finish tonight. But 661 pages total. I might be off with the pages because of the way I was figuring it. It might be alittle more.

message 38: by Valorie (last edited Apr 30, 2010 04:08PM) (new)

Valorie Wow, I conked out about 10 minutes before noon! Just made it! I only finished 2 1/2 books though. I guess I just don't read as fast as the rest of you! Glad to see everyone had fun!!

message 39: by Dee (new)

I had hoped to do good today, but the headache make its reappearance and I slept most of the day. Final count was:

892 pages

Legend - Jude Deveraux - started at page 191 - 225 pages
Irish Rebel - Nora Roberts - 243 pages
Bitter Sweet - LaVyrle Spence - 122 pages
Covet - JR Ward - 50 pages (which I did finish after time was up this afternoon)

Total Reading time was probably about 5 years, with the longest stretch about 2 (when I finished the Nora Roberts book)

message 40: by Athira (new)

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) (readingonarainyday) I'm so sad I couldn't make this, but glad to see that so many of you did so well this time!!