Spreading the Happiness discussion

Happiness Creators > Pay it Forward

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) All right! I got this idea from another discussion, and I am sharing my idea with you here!

There is a movie called Pay it Forward. I've never seen it, but I want to, and I sort of know what it's about. My idea is to do as they do in the movie.

Basically, if somebody does something nice for you, you go and do nice things for other people, asking no favors in return. We can spread the word far and wide and maybe we could even get a thing going.

What do you guys think?

message 2: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) Does nobody have any comment at all? Not even a 'no, it's a horrible idea?' that would be better than no response, in my opinion.

message 3: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) I like the idea, but I'm not quite sure how practical it is to make work.

message 4: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie How would we get people everywhere to do it?

message 5: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) Well, we could just do it ourselves, and try to convince other people to do it that we know. But we wouldn't do something nice for them and then say "I did something nice for you, so now you have to go be nice to somebody else!"

We would have to casually mention it to people in regular conversation. It would be like "Yeah, I decided to do this Pay it forward thing with a bunch of other people" and then you explain what it is to them.

message 6: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) Anyone up for it?

message 7: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) Please say something. I think that this is a good idea. But if you don't think this would work...I have an idea that I will post in another conversation.

message 8: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) Wow! I entirely forgot about this topic! And I was the one who started it.

message 9: by Riley (new)

Riley (booksarecool) I think it sounds really cool! But a group in my school is already doing it, so yeah.

message 10: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) That's pretty awesome...

Hey! I know who I can tell about this!!!! I just have to see if she's in the group.

message 11: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) And she is!

HEY KASSY!!!!!!!!!! I think you should bring up this idea in MAPS!

message 12: by Court (new)

Court Its a great idea.
The movie was good, but the ending was really sad and it kind of makes you all bitter like "well, if that happened to him, then what's the point"(I kno the point the ending ust makes you think that)

message 13: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) Actually, I've been wanting to see that movie for a very long time. I ahven't seen it yet though.

message 14: by Madeline (new)

Madeline watch it here. you can only watch like 72 minutes at a time but still *shrug* http://www.watch-movies.net/movies/pa...

message 15: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Kulman (andreakulman) I think this is a WONDERFUL idea, Roni. Actually- I pay it forward constantly. Once I paid the toll for the car behind me. :~D

message 16: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) OMG MADELINE I LOVE YOU!!!! I'm totally going to watch that. :D Maybe not today, but some other time when I'm not in the middle of craziness with homework. (but hey, 2 projects down!!! And after this week, I just have a paper and a final. And then I have TWO new classes, which means that I'm getting rid of the one I don't like!)

message 17: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) And Andrea, good for you!!!

message 18: by Madeline (new)

Madeline wahoo!! *twirls finger*

message 19: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Kulman (andreakulman) LOL @ Madeline.

message 20: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) wow. That was a really sad ending. :(

But it was a really good movie! :)

message 21: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller veRONIca wrote: "All right! I got this idea from another discussion, and I am sharing my idea with you here!

There is a movie called Pay it Forward. I've never seen it, but I want to, and I sort of know what it'..."

I've read the book! I love the idea... how do we start?

message 22: by Riley (new)

Riley (booksarecool) Pay it Forward!

message 23: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) Well, you don't really have to do big things, even. Just small things are fine as well, because they really can make a difference, weather you realize it or not.

Then you can tell your friends about your plan, and hope that they will participate, and maybe pass along the word.

message 24: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller Okay... so, do something nice for 3 people and tell them to pay it forward to 3 other people?

message 25: by Riley (new)

Riley (booksarecool) Yeah. Tell everyone you know, wear a wrist band, whatever! Pay it Forward!

message 26: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller cool! I'm going to start!

message 27: by Riley (new)

Riley (booksarecool) As am I.

message 28: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) Well, they don't HAVE to pay it forward, but maybe they will do it anyhow because you were nice to them.

Do you know what I mean? Somebody being nice to you makes you want to be nice to other people.

message 29: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller yep. I get it.

message 30: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy (DorothyKingsley) | 11 comments So Veronica and Paige how is your project going? Pay it Forward? It seemed ironic hat I had just finished reading the book again. I was amazed to see your post here. Even though I am partially home bound I try to be nice to others by sending a happy email, or a telephone call, or IMs. Anyway ladies keep up the good work.
Dorothy

message 31: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) ...actually, I was thinking of mentioning it to my friend who is in this club, Make a Person Smile (MAPS) so that she could bring it up.

And I have been busy this past week, and kept forgetting. *sigh* But I know that's no excuse! I will just have to write it on my hand!

message 32: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Kulman (andreakulman) Dorothy, That is a GREAT way to pay it forward. I like the MAPS idea. I am on it. :~D

message 33: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller Dorothy wrote: "So Veronica and Paige how is your project going? Pay it Forward? It seemed ironic hat I had just finished reading the book again. I was amazed to see your post here. Even though I am partially home..."

(To understand this conversation, you have to know that River is kind of dumb lolz I love her but really she is)

Well here's what happened today.

Setting: School [Lunchtime:]

Characters: Paige, River, Blake,

River: Hey, Paige, can I borrow 50 cents so I can buy a soda?

Paige: Umm, sure. *brightens at thought of paying it forward*

Paige: *hands River 50 cents that she fished out of locker*

River: I'll pay you back tomorrow... I promise! (She never does... but anyway...)

Paige: Don't pay me back... pay it forward.

River: What?????? *shocked look on face* What do you mean...pay it onward?

Paige: FORWARD. F-O-R-W-A-R-D.

River: Still...explain?

Paige: *sighs* Okay, so there's this thing...*explains*

River: *listens patiently*

River: Okay....*ponders* *taps her boyfriend on the shoulder*

Blake: Hey... What's up? *smiles*

River: *hugs Blake*

Blake: Uhh...*hugs River back, confused*

River: *walks over* There. I payed it forward.

Paige: *slaps hand against forehead*

River: What?

Paige: *shakes head* Idiot.

River: WHAT?!?!?!?

Paige: Never mind.

Sorry that was really long... anyway, my attempts so far have been...interesting. :D

message 34: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy (DorothyKingsley) | 11 comments Paige aka Tink wrote: "Dorothy wrote: "So Veronica and Paige how is your project going? Pay it Forward? It seemed ironic hat I had just finished reading the book again. I was amazed to see your post here. Even though I a..."

LOLOLOL Oh my. Okay it may take some time to explain the concept. But I think with time and patience you will be able to get your idea across to your friends. In the mean time I will look for some other ways to help out.
Dorothy

message 35: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) *sigh* The first thing that I really think about and consider doing, that I remember this concept for, really is something big. And definitely not easy. Nor is it something that will be fast, nor will I be able to do it entirely alone. There is a team of people that I don't even know, that I haven't even met, yet we all have the same goal:Help her. I don't know how, exactly, but I know that I will try.

But I won't tell her to pay it forward--I can't. Just because of the situatiion, I can't. Because I can't be obvious about what I'm trying to do. Because then it won't work.

message 36: by jeeves... (new)

jeeves... | 35 comments Mod
what? u mind 'splainin, soundz interesting...

message 37: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy (DorothyKingsley) | 11 comments May I suggest that if people would like to try this activity they research "Pay It Forward." Get the Book, watch the movie, or research it on the Internet.

Good Luck and have a GREAT DAY :):):)
Dorothy

message 38: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) I watched the movie, actually, because I was curious. It had a sad ending... but it was a good movie.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

I didn't see the movie or read the book. :)

message 40: by Riley (new)

Riley (booksarecool) From Oprah.com:

Create a Kindness Journal to document your chain as it grows! On the inside cover of a notebook, write your name and address, and ask that the journal be returned to you when it is full. Write down your first good deed and give the journal to the person you did something nice for so they can do the same for someone else! Not only are you spreading kindness, you're creating a book of inspiring stories.

message 41: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller OOOH!!! I MIGHT DO THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT"S AWESOME!!!!!!

message 42: by Riley (new)

Riley (booksarecool) :D Oprah.com is awesome! It's under...what was it called? Something to do with angels.

message 43: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller that's really cool...I wonder if the kids at my school would do that? Nah...they're too lazy.

message 44: by Riley (new)

Riley (booksarecool) :P

message 45: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller maybe....I could convince them....

message 46: by Riley (new)

Riley (booksarecool) Warmer . . . optimism is key!

message 47: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller *grins*

message 48: by Riley (new)

Riley (booksarecool) :P

message 49: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy (DorothyKingsley) | 11 comments What is the latest idea for paying it forward?

message 50: by Riley (new)

Riley (booksarecool) Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm . . . Find a happy song on youtube and email it to everyone in your address book.

« previous 1