The Sword and Laser discussion

Has anybody used the Book Swap feature on Good Reads?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Micah (last edited Apr 23, 2010 07:59PM) (new)

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments Has anybody used the book swap feature on this site? And did it work all right for you? I have read their FAQ on it and it all sounds fairly easy and legit. But was just looking for some real world experience with it.

message 2: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 10 comments No, I don't use GR's book swap. I prefer a points-based system for swapping books. I use BookMooch because I do swap internationally occasionally. Another alternative is PaperBackSwap (but only works in the US - same as GR).

message 3: by Mike (new)

Mike (mikespencer) | 60 comments I actually sent out my first book this morning. Goodreads made the process incredibly easy. I haven't requested a book yet though, so I don't know how that half of the process goes.

message 4: by Micah (last edited Apr 24, 2010 04:38PM) (new)

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments Mike wrote: "I actually sent out my first book this morning. Goodreads made the process incredibly easy. I haven't requested a book yet though, so I don't know how that half of the process goes."

So was it as easy as they say? Just print the label and ship. You didn't have to pay anything out of pocket?

message 5: by Mike (new)

Mike (mikespencer) | 60 comments It was very easy and I didn't have to pay a thing. I think the label is prepaid and the "buyer" is charged. Goodreads asks you to verify the edition and to confirm the size and weight so they know how much the shipping will be. The only thing to keep in mind is that you need to have a box handy.

message 6: by Micah (new)

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments sounds good. maybe I can convince my wife to get a few of these things out of here. Thanks for the info. Has anybody requested and received a book thorough this?

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2898 comments Someone requested one of my books I had listed, and as a swap sent me way more than I had agreed on. It was more than a positive experience!

message 8: by Mike (new)

Mike | 2 comments I have. It is easy to use and useful in finding obscure books.

message 9: by Mike (new)

Mike (mikespencer) | 60 comments I've sent two books and received one. Sending was really easy and cost free. The book I requested was a hard cover and cost about $4.00 for shipping. I think the service is a pretty good deal depending on the quality of the item you request. No complaints yet.

message 10: by Micah (new)

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments thanks for the input guys. I have yet to try it out but i plan to in the future.