The Next Best Book Club discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 135 (135 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Angela (new)

Angela | 1934 comments Hello!!!
Is anyone else willing to give this another try??? Let me know here if you are interested and you have any suggestions for the new round. Thanks :)

message 2: by Liz (new)

Liz (arcanepenguin) | 285 comments I'm in. I'll have to think about shelf suggestions post them later.

message 3: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (leslie_nj) | 57 comments I would be interested in joining in. I found the last shelf-a-thon too late, so I thought I would wait for this next round. Thanks.

message 4: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannahtheblonde) I'd love to do this again!

Can we nix the "own" shelf? It's too easy -- every book seems to hit that shelf.

message 5: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) I'm in!

message 6: by Kim (new)

Kim I'm in too!!

message 7: by Rebecca NJ (new)

Rebecca NJ (njreader) | 425 comments Count me in.

message 8: by Carol (new)

Carol (caroldias) I´m in, and voting for no changes in the challenge.

message 9: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) Yeah, I like the variations we've got going... *shrugs*

message 10: by Julia (new)

Julia (bambbles) | 69 comments I'd love to give this a try :)

message 11: by Madeline (new)

Madeline | 293 comments I'd like to attempt it again. I had to drop out of round 2, but I think I'd be able to do it this time.

message 12: by Angela (new)

Angela | 1934 comments Great! Thanks for wanting to give this another go! I will have to recreate the popular shelves and list them...I agree that no changes are necessary, but feel free to still give me suggestions. Thanks :)

message 13: by Liz (new)

Liz (arcanepenguin) | 285 comments I don't have any suggestions for replacements, but I really don't like the bookcrossing shelves.

message 14: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannahtheblonde) I'm with Liz on the bookcrossing shelves!

message 15: by Angela (new)

Angela | 1934 comments I cannot control which shelves are popular (wish i could)!!! But there is a surprise that will be posted at the end of this round that will benefit all current players. So stay tuned...:)

message 16: by MissJessie (new)

MissJessie | 1286 comments count me in.

message 17: by Liz (last edited Apr 30, 2010 03:43AM) (new)

Liz (arcanepenguin) | 285 comments One possible change for the challenge is the "top-shelver award." The same three people got the award both times. I was fine with it, but I got the extra shelves.

Maybe to spread it out a bit we could give extra shelves to the top three the first month, then give extra shelves to the top shelver and the two people who had the biggest increase in the number of shelves that month. To keep track we could just have people put the number of shelves they increase on their last post of the month.

message 18: by Kate (new)

Kate (klc23) | 128 comments i'm in.

message 19: by Angela (new)

Angela | 1934 comments I am working on the new shelves as I write! Please be patient...sorry this took so long :) Just keep reading!!

message 20: by Angela (new)

Angela | 1934 comments Liz I like your ideas :)

message 21: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (newtomato) I unfortunately have to sit this one out - too much summer traveling. Have fun everyone!

message 22: by Angela (last edited May 02, 2010 11:11AM) (new)

Angela | 1934 comments FINALLY the shelves!!

2000s
-
2008-reads
2009-books
2009-read
2009-reads
2010-reads
20th-century
abandoned
academic
action
action-adventure
adult
adult-books
adult-fiction
adult-non-fiction
adventure
africa
all
all-time-favorites
alreadyread
already-read
amazon-wishlist
american
american-history
animals
anthology
anthologies
anthropology
architecture
arc
art
audio
audiobook
audio-book
audiobooks
audio-books
autobiography
biography
biography-memoir
biographies
books
bookclub
book-club
bookcrossing
bookcrossing-com
bookshelf
books-i-own
books-i-own-to-read
books-i-want
books-owned
books-read-in-2009
books-to-buy
books-to-check-out
books-we-own
borrowed
british
business
canadian
chick-lit
chicklit
childhood
childhood-books
childhood-favorites
children
children-books
children-young-adult
childrens
childrensbooks
childrens-books
childrens-fiction
childrens-lit
childrens-picture-books
childrens-ya
children-s
children-s-books
children-s-lit
children-s-literature
christian
christian-fiction
christianity
classic
classics
collection
college
comedy
comic
comics
comic-books
coming-of-age
contemporary
contemporary-fiction
contemporary-romance
cookbooks
cooking
couldn-t-finish
crafts
crime
crime-fiction
criticism
culture
currently-own
design
did-not-finish
didn-t-finish
don-t-own
do-not-own
drama
e-book
ebook
e-books
ebooks
economics
education
england
english
erotica
essays
family
fantasy
fantasy-scifi
fantasy-sci-fi
fantasy-sf
faves
favorite
favorites
favorite-authors
favorite-books
favourites
feminism
fiction
film
finished
fluff
food
for-school
french
friendship
fun
funny
general-fiction
german
glbt
graphic
graphic-novel
graphicnovels
graphic-novels
guilty-pleasures
harlequin
have
have-read
health
high-school
historical
historicalfiction
historical-fiction
historical-romance
history
home-library
horror
humor
humour
humorous
indonesian
in-english
in-my-collection
in-my-library
inspirational
i-own
i-own-it
i-own-this
japan
juvenile
juvenile-fiction
keeper
keepers
kid-books
kids
kids-books
kindle
language
library
library-book
library-books
listened-to
lit
literary-fiction
literature
love
magic
manga
manga-manhwa
maybe
memoir
memoirs
military
mine
misc
modern-fiction
m-m
music
my-books
my-collection
my-favorites
my-library
my-personal-library
mysteries
mystery
mystery-suspense
mystery-thriller
mythology
nature
need-to-buy
need-to-get
never-finished
non-fic
non-fiction
nonfiction
not-available-yet
not-owned
novel
novels
on-hold
on-my-bookshelf
on-my-shelf
other
own
own-a-copy
own-but-not-read
own-it
own-to-read
owned
owned-books
paperback
paranormal
paranormal-romance
parenting
partially-read
part-of-a-series
personal-library
philosophy
photography
picture-book
picture-books
picturebooks
plays
poetry
political
politics
psychology
queer
read-2007
read-in-2007
read-2008
read-in-2008
read-2009
read-in-2009
read-2010
read-in-2010
read-for-school
read-more-than-once
realistic-fiction
recently-read
recommended
reference
relationships
religion
religious
reread
re-read
research
reviewed
romance
romance-erotica-pnr-to-read
school
school-books
science
science-fiction
sciencefiction
science-fiction-fantasy
sci-fi
scifi
sci-fi-and-fantasy
sci-fi-fantasy
scifi-fantasy
self-help
series
sf
sf-fantasy
short-stories
speculative-fiction
spiritual
spirituality
sports
stories
supernatural
suspense
teen
teen-books
teen-fiction
textbooks
theology
theory
thriller
thrillers
to-buy
to-get
to-purchase
to-read-fiction
to-read-interloan-my
to-read-interloan-sd
to-read-own
to-re-read
to-reread
traded
travel
unfiled
unfinished
unread
unsorted
urban-fantasy
vampires
want
want-to-buy
want-to-own
want-to-read
war
warehouse
we-own
wishlist
wish-list
writing
women
ya
ya-books
ya-fiction
ya-lit
youngadult
young-adult
young-adult-books
young-adult-fiction
youth

Rules to follow...

New Shelves: 2010-reads, owned-books, want-to-buy, read-2010, arc, part-of-a-series, humorous, own-a-copy, keeper, my-collection, and canadian.

Deleted Shelves:trt-reviews, sociology, scpl, personal-collection, how-to, gay, general, books-sent-on, a-great-list-of-top-books-to-read, 2008-books, 2002

message 23: by Angela (new)

Angela | 1934 comments Object of the Game: To have read off the most shelves from the official list below.

Start: May 1st, 2010
*Any book that you finish after this date can be used for this challenge.
End: July 31st, 2010

1. To have read a book off a shelf, you must read a book that is found on that particular shelf. ie. to have read book off the classics shelf, you must read a book that is found on "classics" shelf within the first five pages.
Here is how you find the pages:
-Find the book you just read and click on it so you get to the orginal page. For example: Grapes of Wrath http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4395....
-After you get to this page, look all the way to the right hand side and find Popular Shelves, click on more shelves and you should get to this page: http://www.goodreads.com/book/shelves/43...

and cross off the shelves you 'touched' on the first 5 pages.

2. A single book may be found on several shelves however we will only count the first 5 pages of top shelves for this book. For example, you may find a book that has 148+ pages of shelves (such as Grapes of Wrath), but only count the first 5 pages.

3. You don’t have to read off the shelves in any particular order of shelves.

4. The name of shelves must MATCH EXACTLY to the shelf you are trying to count. No deviations are acceptable (check the spelling off the official list below). For example one shelf reads: 2008-books and another 2008-book or childrens or children-s.

5. It is permissible to read a book that is found on a shelf you've already counted. I may read 10 books that include the shelf "books-i-own". After you have found this shelf once, continue to check off the same shelf, but do not count it as an additonal shelf. At the end of the round, report the shelf you hit the most.

6. Reporting

All we want you to report on the thread is the number of books you've read and the number of shelves these books are found on. Do not report titles because that will give your competitors a strategic edge. I will be creating a another thread where people can post questions on where to find a shelf. So if someone is looking specifically for economics, they can ask other players where they found that shelf. Some of us would like to keep this a secret, as it may give the competitors who are trying to get the most shelves more of an advantage.

For example:
52 shelves
2 books

b. You must track the titles read and the shelves on your own. You can come up with your own method of tracking. I personally print the list and highlight the shelves I have hit, but someone out there may have made a excel spreadsheet, which can be requested by other players via email.

7.HOW DO I GET RID OF SHELVES I CAN'T TOUCH??
If you read a book with a certain amount of pages, you can cross off a shelf you are finding difficult to hit. If you cross off a shelf and later hit it, you cannot change your original shelf. You must choose another shelf to cross off.
* 400 pages - Mark off 1 extra shelf of your choice
* Over 500 pages - Mark off 2 extra shelves of your choice
* Over 600 pages - Mark off 3 extra shelves of your choice
* Over 700-1000 and over pages - Mark off 4 extra shelves of your choice
(Please include this in your reporting)
For example:
216 shelves
23 books
Book over 400 pages crossed off so and so shelf.

8.At the end of each month, the top three shelvers will be allowed to cross off 3 shelves. I will also randomly (names out of a hat) pick 3 people to cross off 2 shelves of their choice.

9. Winning
The winner is one who has either read off all 350 shelves noted on the official list or who has read the most off these 350 shelves by the end date, July 31, 2010.
*Also, please post the shelf you 'touched' the most at the end of the challenge.
*At the end post the book that 'touched' the most shelves for you.

message 24: by MissJessie (new)

MissJessie | 1286 comments Hurray!! I've been reading along and hoping. Thanks for the hard work on the list.

message 25: by Angela (new)

Angela | 1934 comments No problem MissJessie!! Glad you are joining us this round :)

message 26: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannahtheblonde) Thanks Angela!

Does anyone need a tracking spreadsheet (Excel)? It tallies how many total shelves I've hit, how many books I've read, and how many shelves hit per book. I believe someone else has a spreadsheet too.

message 27: by Liz (new)

Liz (arcanepenguin) | 285 comments I need a spread sheet - arcanepenguin@gmail.com

Thank you!

message 28: by Madeline (new)

Madeline | 293 comments I would love a spreadsheet! madelinesarih@gmail.com

Also I have a question regarding the removal of shelves. Do you have to eliminate the shelves immediately following, or can you hoard your eliminations for a more opportune time?

message 29: by Angela (new)

Angela | 1934 comments I would send a spread sheet but I do not have excel. You should be eliminating your shelves as soon as you finish a book.

message 30: by Kate (new)

Kate (klc23) | 128 comments Can I get a spreadsheet too, please? childresskl@gmail.com. Thanks!

message 31: by Liz (new)

Liz (arcanepenguin) | 285 comments Angela - How are you doing this without excel?

message 32: by Angela (new)

Angela | 1934 comments I just print out the list and highlight the shelves and then put tick marks next to shelves I hit more than once.

message 33: by Angela (new)

Angela | 1934 comments For those of you looking for a spreadsheet, Lyn usually does it, so if you have an old maybe you can just change the shelves your old one??? I don't know who else has it!

message 34: by Carol (new)

Carol (caroldias) I´ll keep ignoring the crossing shelves rule, cause I really think it is pointless LOL

I´ll try to update the spreadsheet on my own this time .. poor Lyn.

message 35: by Liz (new)

Liz (arcanepenguin) | 285 comments I updated a previous spread sheet because I like the columns frozen for the shelves and total hits. It's the one with the blue striped columns. Let me know if you want a copy.

message 36: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 59 comments I just updated my spreadsheet and am ready to get started!

message 37: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 423 comments I am late, but can I get in on this? Also, Liz, could I get a copy of the spreadsheet. My email address is kathrynlouw@gmail.com

message 38: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) Kathryn! Welcome!

message 39: by Dalene (new)

Dalene Can you count me in as well?

message 40: by ilona (new)

ilona (svaubajkama) I'm in if it's not too late ;)

message 41: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannahtheblonde) Welcome Dalene and Ilona!

message 42: by ilona (new)

ilona (svaubajkama) Thanks :)
I need a spread sheet too - obozavam_praline@hotmail.com

message 43: by Liz (new)

Liz (arcanepenguin) | 285 comments welcome all! Spread sheets are sent!

message 44: by Angela (new)

Angela | 1934 comments Sorry I have been slacking on this!!! Welcome Dalene and Ilona!! :)

message 45: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Baer | 182 comments Angela wrote: "Object of the Game: To have read off the most shelves from the official list below.

End: July ..."

Angela wrote: "Object of the Game: To have read off the most shelves from the official list below.

End: July ..."

Is there a early time limit? For instance, I read many of the classics between 1940 and 1980.
Natalie

message 46: by Liz (new)

Liz (arcanepenguin) | 285 comments Natalie - the books need to be read within the time frame of the challenge. You need to start and finish the book on or between May 1st and July 31st.

Books you are re-reading are ok, but you need to re-read them during the challenge.

message 47: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Baer | 182 comments I got it - sounds like fun.

message 48: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Baer | 182 comments I'm still having a problem figuring out this game. According to the winners of another contest, Luann read 61 books. (in 2 months? that's a book a day.) Also on another comment I saw someone read 13,000+ pages and touched 1,800+ shelfs. Are you guys reading or skimming?
In 2008 I read 157 books (without encouragement) and thought I was doing well. You guys are beyond me.

message 49: by Liz (new)

Liz (arcanepenguin) | 285 comments Don't look at all the different games and challenges in The Next Best Book Club as a single challenge. Some people are doing more than one, but other (like me) are only doing one challenge at a time. Everybody reads at their own pace.

The real point of this challenge is to challenge yourself to hit as may of the shelves as possible. I'm personally trying to hit more shelves than I did last round.

message 50: by Trisha (new)

Trisha (mom2twinsplus1) | 31 comments Since this is finals week for me, and I graduate on Saturday, I'm FINALLY looking forward to reading things that don't require textual analysis and aren't philosophical in nature! Count me in!

« previous 1 3