What to Expect the First Year (What to Expect) What to Expect the First Year discussion

What to Expect the first year

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Crissy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:14PM) (new) - added it

Crissy I know this is the "darling" of the baby books but I liked Megan's other suggestion "Baby 411" a little bit better.

message 2: by Eva (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:14PM) (new)

Eva I ended up not using this book that much. My son was premature so the developmental milestones they detail for each month didn't have much meaning for me. I just ended up calling my doctor whenever I had a question. Also, there's not even close to enough in the book about feeding. What solid foods do you start? When? When do you start finger foods? What sort of finger foods? These questions are really important and there was not that much in the book about them. You have to get a whole separate book about feeding.

message 3: by Okmama (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:15PM) (new)

Okmama I liked "The Mother of All Baby Books" for an overview of first year development issues. It covers things by subject rather than month by month. Much more helpful when you want to find out about feeding, or want to know how much to worry about a rash. Baby development varies a fair bit (even when they're not premature) so I don't see how helpful the month-by-month format would be.

Oh, if you're looking for a book on feeding kids, Child of Mine: Feeding With Love and Good Sense, by Ellen Satter is excellent. Not just about introducing food to babies, also an excellent discussion of feeding toddlers and older kids.

message 4: by Jess (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:17PM) (new)

Jess Gill I don't particularly care for this series as a whole (especially "What to expect when you're expecting"). There are so many better written books on the topics of parenthood and pregnancy.

message 5: by Bryan (new)

Bryan What she missed, when you ride in the back of an ambulance with your very drunk Fiance who has been telling you that she is pregnant, and who has been drinking about a fifth of Bacardi/day, Please Try to Keep Up. Understand? And listen to what the Doctor says when they tell you that he found no evidence that she had been pregnant, at least not in the last two weeks. That's some Fucked up shit right TH/ere~BPSd'C