Chicks On Lit discussion

Non Book Talk > What exercise do you do?

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
Okay I'll admit that my favorite exercise is doing curl ups with a large spoon full of ice cream. It is really satisfying until I step on the scale. That aside we got the wii fit last week and it is so much fun. The TX heat is a beast and I used to go walking in the evenings but its still in the upper 70s at night and it's only May so I need other things. I really do not want to pay for a gym membership. I do like yoga but havent found a good video series I like.
So what do you do and enjoy doing?

message 2: by Holli (new)

Holli I like to do the Mari Windsor Pilates DVD's and I walk 2 miles every day. Well....I haven't done either one of those things in a year but I USED to like doing them!! LOL

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) exercise? i know not that of which you speak!

gardening is my most enjoyable form of exercise since i don't think of it as a task! i don't do walking on a regular basis though i should ~ i let the weather decide for me too much!

we did just move the tread mill out of my mom's basement and into our spare room last night! and i used it last night!

i've been told yoga would be good for me with my back problems and my arthritis but i haven't found a good video for it yet either! (and i know i've got one around here someplace!)

message 4: by Elena (new)

Elena | 13 comments I'm not a fitness bunny but I like to walk a lot (to and from work, to do the shopping etc etc), at least an hour a day - at a brisk pace. It has done me lots of good, considering it helped me lose more than 2 st in a few months!
Other than this, I consider doing the housework some exercise indeed (especially washing the floor and making the bed!)!
I used to play tennis and volleyball when I was younger... Ages ago, it seems! :)

message 5: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth sea kayaking's the thing for me. i am SOOOO not a morning person, but there is no thrill greater than being out just as the dawn brushes pink over the cliffs, and drifting along with otters in my wake.

unfortunately it's not exactly a portable form of exercise!

message 6: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
Wow Elizabeth now that is the kind of exercise I'm looking for. I'd put down the ice cream for that!

message 7: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments Our town has a "trek challenge" that is connected to our local hospital. We join in teams and compete with step counts with a pedometer. Corny as it sounds, it is only 8 weeks long, but the competition makes you move more and then hopefully keep going. My exercise is consisting of walking and stationery bike. I just bought wii fit and am going to try to add that to my day. I started off averaging 8,000 steps a day and now I am up to 11,000. I also play golf. I used to play a lot of tennis but stopped about 2 years ago, I am thinking of taking it up again.

message 8: by April (new)

April (contusions96) I walk ALOT, ride bikes, and yoga every morning. I love it. Also, I have a treadmill and elliptical but they're barely used.

message 9: by Kristy (new)

Kristy (travelswithboooks) | 20 comments Exercise wasn't a word I used a lot. lol. But 11 weeks ago I put myself on the Slim Fast Plan and borrowed my sister's Walk Away The Pounds DVD. And now I've lost about 11 pounds! I'm getting to the point where it's not coming off so easily. So I'm trying to eat even more better and I've made an investment in the Nintendo Wii and I'm going to buy the Wii Fit game today. I've heard it's amazing! I'm working on losing those last few pounds to reach my goal weight!

And the Wii is something my whole family wants to play now that I have it. I'm taking it over to my parent's this morning lol.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Elizabeth, I'm definately not a morning person either!

message 11: by Emily (new)

Emily (ejfalke) | 576 comments I love to walk and do yoga. Although, now that it's so hot outside I stick to walking in the morning or on the treadmill. I hurt my knee running a few years ago and have decided to stick with walking. I love being outside.
I also love yoga. I think studio classes are the best, but they are also sometimes too expensive or out of the way. I've sadly moved away from an awesome studio and have yet to find something that fits me as well. Anything from Gaiam is a good yoga program (especially its Yoga for Beginners DVD with Rodney Yee and Patricia Walden). I also really like Shiva Rea's Yoga Shakti DVD if you are more seasoned. You need to know your physical limits to do that one.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) I'm physically unable to do much in the way of actual exercise besides walking because i'm so unfit right now! (extensive health prob's!) walking, i am told is the best thing for me to do every day and then it's been suggested that i try yoga once i actually have some stamina!

message 13: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (sydneyh) I got a job with the YMCA last year, so now I'm required to exercise. Just kidding! Seriously, with access to a great gym facility (my office is literally off the track) I have no excuses. I do strength training for my arms(2 times a week if I'm lucky), and then I run (treadmill and now on the track) 3-4 days a week. I have always hated running, so to me it's all about overcoming something that I detest. I know I can beat the beast that is running! I started out very slow... just walking fast and increasing my pace. Eventually I could run for 5 minutes, then 10... now nearly 30 minutes. It's amazing what your body can do if you just nudge it along.

message 14: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (celticrockchic) | 13 comments At the gym I go to they have a TV for you to watch your own movies on. I take a movie and then walk for a half an hour, cycle for a half an hour, then walk again for a half an hour. I don't do anything strenuous, I actually keep it pretty slow-paced but I keep moving. So far I really like it.

message 15: by Christal (new)

Christal I'm in the military so I am actually required to exercise. I've fallen out of my routine, but am slowly working my way into it again. Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings I go to the gym and do some light weight training and then alternate 10 min each on the treadmill, elleptical, and stair machine. In the afternoons, I do the yoga and balance exercises on my Wii Fit. Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday I just use the Wii Fit and do all the strength and aerobic exercises and then the yoga and balance until I feel like stopping. I use Sunday as my rest day. I really enjoy using the Wii Fit and recommend it, if you can find one!

message 16: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Frantz (nicoleraephotos) | 12 comments I'm so jealous Elizabeth. What a wonderful form of exercise! I run, bike, and just started doing yoga which I love (but it's so much harder than I ever thought it would be). I definitely have to exercise to support my eating habit. :P

message 17: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Hickman (bkread2) | 233 comments I do mainly tai chi three times a week..but I also do some yoga, walking and now that my bicycle just got repaired I will probably ride at least once or twice a week. I like to exercise once a day between 30 minutes to 90 minutes. It depends on what I am doing though. I spend more time gardening and tai chi than walking or yoga. I just cannot do the same things every day. I get bored very easily.

My best yoga tapes are by Denise Austin though. Even her pilates are a bit fun. But I do better in specialty studio classes...not overall gyms.

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) I mainly walk with my dogs to get exercise. We have a few little park areas around our house, so we go and do a lap or three of those. I also enjoy hiking trails with my husband, or horse-back riding with my mom.

message 19: by QueenAmidala28 (new)

QueenAmidala28 Yoga, Pilates , biking