Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > NAB-ing without separating

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (ssaccoliti) | 550 comments http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/58...

This morning I found a number of books that had been NAB'ed by a deleted member. I've been trying to go through and separate out the editions. However ...

Is there a faster/better way to identify the user and then just check their edits or, is there a better way to go through the NAB list and identify which ones need to be seperated?

Thanks.

message 2: by Melody (new)

Melody (runningtune) | 13259 comments I'm pretty sure I know who the user was. But actually it's sometimes a good thing that she didn't separate them. Because they first need to be deleted so that the reviews go with the book they intended. For example - the book you use in your example is a prepack for a book called "The Flamingo Rising" by Larry Baker. The author needs to be changed back to Larry Baker. This prepack needs to be combined with the other editions of Flamingo Rising. The ISBN number should be copied. The not a book needs to be deleted. The ISBN needs to be added back and THEN changed to NOT A BOOK. All this because there is a user who has rated it and reviewed it and clearly intends to have reviewed a book rather than something that is Not a book.

message 3: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 44102 comments Mod
Melody, exactly. I went through that user's logs looking for books with this problem just before they deleted their account, but I'm sure I missed a bunch.

Unfortunately, once a user is deleted, the logs don't separate out by their account any longer. And there are so many NAB items that it's very difficult to sort them. Although going by popularity might help.

message 4: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (ssaccoliti) | 550 comments Great -

I changed authors, combined and merged first. Then deleted. Many steps ....
Thanks.

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Yes, it is. Which is why it's so important that librarians be careful when NABing books.

Thanks, Sherry!

message 6: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 25219 comments The problem with that deleted member was that she also NAB'd valid books.

I know because she did one of mine about a month ago, which I of course fixed, and then PM'd her about.

message 7: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

There were a number of issues. At this point, I see no reason to rehash them.

message 8: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 25219 comments Sorry, just thought people should be aware that there may be valid books mixed in.

message 9: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Gotcha. Ok, that makes sense.