What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Bloodrights
This topic is about Bloodrights
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. 2 books - faeries and a lost princess? [s]

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Min (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:14PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Min (unktehi) | 22 comments Hiya. Can anyone help me with the titles or authors to two different books? I read them in the past 10 years, though I can't say when they were written.

First one - There is something in the title with sun and/or moon. The only thing I really remember is that there are faeries that switch a baby or leave a baby...? I think the story mainly takes place when the kid grows up and finds out about the switch. The cover had the image of a tree on the left side with a road and some kind of procession along it - I think.

Second one - All I really remember is that there was a female character who was the daughter of some king (?). She ends up being raised by monks who hide her identity. Years later the monks are burned out of their monestary and she is told the truth about her life. She sets off to find her family and meets up with a mercenary (?). Anyway, at some point towards the end the merc has his face partially melted off. The girl and the merc end up together, but that is all I really remember. I think there may have been a bit about artists in the cathedral..?

Any ideas?

message 2: by Rebecca (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:14PM) (new)

Rebecca | 37 comments Number 1 sounds like it could be The Moorchild by Eloise McGraw (great book!)

message 3: by Claire Michie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:14PM) (new)

Claire Michie | 22 comments #1 sounds a little like "The Stolen Child" by Keith Donahue, that book came out in 2007 so it's probably not your book (but sounds REALLY similar and had a tree on the cover of it...)
Good luck!

message 4: by Min (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:14PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Min (unktehi) | 22 comments Alas, it is neither "The Moorchild" nor "The Stolen Child." But thanks for the suggestions. I will pass these titles on to my niece, who should enjoy them.

message 5: by Min (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:15PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Min (unktehi) | 22 comments Good try, John. But it isn't Maroney's. In the one I remember, there either wasn't a dad or the dad was someone she wasn't supposed to know.

But thanks for the suggestion.

message 6: by Graeme (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:57PM) (new)

Graeme | 4 comments The first one sounds like "The Day Boy and the Night Girl" by George MacDonald:
http://www.ccel.org/ccel/macdonald/da...

message 7: by Min (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:57PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Min (unktehi) | 22 comments Sadly, this is not the one I remember, either. The story didn't really involve witches, as far as I can recall. But thanks for the link and the suggestion.
Either I have the worst memory ever (quite likely) or these books were just never read by anyone but me.....

message 8: by Jackie "the Librarian" (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:06PM) (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 219 comments I have a guess on your first book.
Changeling by Delia Sherman. Book Description:
Neef is a changeling, a human baby stolen by fairies and replaced with one of their own. She lives in "New York Between," a parallel Manhattan of elves, fairies, demons, and mythological spirits. Neef has always been protected by her (rat) nursemaid,Astris, until she winds up breaking Fairy Law. Now, unless she can meet the challenge of the Lady of Central Park, she’ll be sacrificed to the bloodthirsty Wild Hunt. But Neef is a native New Yorker, streetwise and sharp, and she’s determined to beat the rap. The acclaimed Delia Sherman’s first novel for younger readers turns both Manhattan and storytelling inside out!
Hope this helps,
Jackie

message 9: by Min (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:06PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Min (unktehi) | 22 comments Alas, this is not the one, either. The book I am thinking of was written (I think) in the 80s or 90s as I read it at least 10 years ago. And I don't think it was a children's novel; I remember it as a fantasy/sci-fi novel. But thank you for the suggestion. It is nice to know others are still looking at this (relatively) old posting.

message 10: by Allison (new)

Allison | 19 comments yeah, the children in Day Boy and Night Girl merely swapped, and meet up later. This other story sounds like typical fairy shenanigans. I thought for sure I'd know it, since I've read a lot of books with similar plots, but nothing is really standing out, sorry :(

message 11: by Min (new) - rated it 3 stars

Min (unktehi) | 22 comments Ha! This is why cleaning is it's own reward!

I stumbled across an old library slip with the title to the second book: Bloodrights by N. Lee Wood. In case anyone else was curious after all this time.

Still don't know the title of the first book, though.

message 12: by Carmen (new)

Carmen | 46 comments Min wrote: "Ha! This is why cleaning is it's own reward!

I stumbled across an old library slip with the title to the second book: Bloodrights by N. Lee Wood. In case anyone else was curious after all this ti..."

Could it be Secret of Platform 13 by Eva Ibbotson.

It doesn't have a tree but it does have a procession kind of on the cover.

message 13: by Min (new) - rated it 3 stars

Min (unktehi) | 22 comments Hmm. Doesn't quite sound like it, but it seems familiar. Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out!

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

It's only 7 yeards old, but Tithe A Modern Faerie Tale by Holly Black is exactly what you described.

message 15: by Min (new) - rated it 3 stars

Min (unktehi) | 22 comments I did read that one, and it's not the book I was searching for. But thanks for the suggestion!

message 16: by Mir (new)

Mir | 702 comments I think the problem is not that people haven't read your books but that there are way too many with similar plots lines! I read tons of books with fairy changelings and lost princesses and foundling children with special powers. Now that I've seen the cover I even remember Bloodrights.

Could the first one be The Changeling by Zilpha Keatley Snyder? I don't remember if the kid was actually a changeling, but she or others believed she was. Was it YA or adult? If adult, how about The Changeling The Second Book of the Fey?

message 17: by Min (new) - rated it 3 stars

Min (unktehi) | 22 comments The second book doesn't sound like it, but Snyder's book kind of does. I see what you mean, though - a lot of the titles that have been mentioned have very similar plots.

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll check it out.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 219 comments Could you be looking for The Summer Tree, by Guy Gavriel Kay?

message 19: by Min (new) - rated it 3 stars

Min (unktehi) | 22 comments Ah, excellent book! But, no, that isn't it. Thanks for trying!

message 20: by April Ann (new)

April Ann (bloomer) | 516 comments Bloodrights by N. Lee Wood Bloodrights by N. Lee Wood, 1999

Summary: Antonya Terhune, a princess whose parents' throne has been usurped by her uncle, has been secretly raised and trained by the Brothers of Blessed Reason and, with the aid of Kerric of Myro, feels ready to reclaim her heritage.

message 21: by Mir (new)

Mir | 702 comments I checked out Snyder's The Changeling and the girl isn't actually a changeling, she's just pretending because she has a horrible family.

Maybe something by esther Friesner?

message 22: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37424 comments Mod
Min, are you still looking for these or did you find them?

Did you check out April Ann's suggestion @21?

If you are still looking, we need you to separate this into two requests. One book per thread.

message 23: by Min (new) - rated it 3 stars

Min (unktehi) | 22 comments I'd found Bloodrights just a bit before April Ann's post so that one was solved. I haven't found the second one but it's been so long now that I only vaguely recall the major plot points. I think I can consider this a closed query. Thank you!

message 24: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37424 comments Mod
Awesome. Thanks for letting us know.