Dangerous Hero Addict Support Group discussion

Archived/Extinct Discussions > Hero Gets Heroine Pregnant In The Past, But Not In The Present

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Arch (last edited Apr 13, 2010 10:06AM) (new)

Arch  | 4144 comments Mod
Am I the only one that notices that a hero can get the heroine pregnant in a story about a secret child, but in a story where a hero first meets the heroine and they later have unprotected sex, she doesn't get pregnant. No matter how many times they have unprotected sex.

I wonder why this happens.

message 2: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 702 comments Arch wrote: "Am I the only one that notices that a hero can get the heroine pregnant in a story about a secret child, but in a story where a hero first meets the heroine and they later have unprotected sex, she..."

I have noticed this. I think it is the whole roulette roll.

Lately I have been reading some older romances and I find it interesting how condoms aren't mentioned in those ones, but in more modern ones they are there unless there is a plot point with pregnancy theme.

message 3: by Arch (new)

The hero must be real good, where he can't get the present heroine pregnant.

message 4: by willaful (new)

willaful It is easier to get pregnant when you're younger, though I doubt the authors are thinking of that. Probably just don't want to throw another pregnancy/baby into the mix, for which I personally thank them. ;-) I have read stories in which the heroine does get pregnant again after reuniting with the hero, though.

message 5: by Arch (new)

I have read books, where the hero and heroine might be on the run from the bad guy and have unprotected sex once or more than once and they discuss the baby issue, but when they get to safe land and time have pass and she does a pregnancy test, she's not pregnant.

If a woman can get pregnant for her first time, why can't the heroine get pregnant after unprotected sex?

message 6: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Huxford (blackpanthershay) | 120 comments All depends on fertility levels,stress,age etc etc

message 7: by Arch (new)

I think that some writers don't let the present heroine get pregnant, until after she and the hero gets married.

message 8: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (halfpint66) | 272 comments True. The same thing can happen in real life too.

Sharon wrote: "All depends on fertility levels,stress,age etc etc"

message 9: by Arch (last edited Apr 13, 2010 08:56PM) (new)

Debbie wrote: "True. The same thing can happen in real life too.

Sharon wrote: "All depends on fertility levels,stress,age etc etc""

That's true, but some women can have sex and get pregnant everytime. Look at the Duggars. That woman has 19 children. She has a child every year. So far I didn't hear that she was pregnant this year.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like a lot of unprotected sex goes on in some books and no pregnancy occured and that don't seem real to me.

Funny how Alyssa didn't get pregnant, because she was waiting for her period to come on, but look how Mary Lou gotten pregnant.

Sam's sperm was strong for Mary Lou and not for Alyssa?

Women can get pregnant even if they are on their period.

Again, I feel that the authors don't want the heroine to get pregnant, until after marriage.

Unless, I have missed something, all of Suzanne's heroine has gotten pregnant after marriage, except Sophia. Dave's sperm was strong for the first time around, to say he hasn't had sex in years. Sophia was his second.

message 10: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (halfpint66) | 272 comments That could be true about the author's choice in their writing, but in reality it all depends on the woman I would think. Every woman is different. I know women who have gotten pregnant while on the pill or other form of birth control. It all just depends on the woman.........Or man even.

message 11: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee My thoughts on this issue is that the author is producing a fantasy. Most women's fantasies don't involve having unprotected sex and than getting pregnant right away, therefore, they don't have it happen. One of the books in Mary Balogh's Simply series actually goes against the norm and it worked. There is a woman who is raped once and has a child. Years later when she meets her man and has sex with him once she winds up pregnant again. Two for two. Yikes!

message 12: by Arch (new)

Debbie wrote: "That could be true about the author's choice in their writing, but in reality it all depends on the woman I would think. Every woman is different. I know women who have gotten pregnant while on the..."

I've watched a medical show about women having babies and this ladies was going to have her third baby and all of them were conceived while protection was present.

The following protection didn't stop the lady from getting pregnant.

1. Condom
2. Birth Control Pills
3. The Shot

I know it depends on the woman, because every woman's body is different, but I must say that I have never came across someone that I know, who has had unprotected sex and never came out pregnant.

message 13: by Arch (new)

Lisarenee wrote: "My thoughts on this issue is that the author is producing a fantasy. Most women's fantasies don't involve having unprotected sex and than getting pregnant right away, therefore, they don't have it ..."

Yeah, I agree. A lot of authors are walking in fantasy shoes when it comes to unprotected sex.

message 14: by Pamela(AllHoney), Danger Zone (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 1706 comments Mod
You want a lot of pregnant women then read the Virgin River series by Robyn Carr :) Everyone gets pregnant there.

message 15: by Arch (new)

Pamela wrote: "You want a lot of pregnant women then read the Virgin River series by Robyn Carr :) Everyone gets pregnant there."

lol, thanks Pamela.

message 16: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee That is funny. I've been thinking of checking out Robyn Carr's books. The name keeps popping up.

message 17: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (halfpint66) | 272 comments My ex and I had unprotected sex for a year because we were trying to get pregnant and never did. Even though I have a disability, I was checked and was told by 3 doctors that I was able to get pregnant. Jamie didn't have a problem either. He had threee children from previous relationships before I met him and since our divorce he's had 2 more. So it is possible to have unprotected sex and not end up pregnant.

Arch wrote: "Debbie wrote: "That could be true about the author's choice in their writing, but in reality it all depends on the woman I would think. Every woman is different. I know women who have gotten pregna..."

message 18: by willaful (new)

willaful If you went by romance novels, no one would even bother to use protection, because it fails so often. ;-) Authors write scenarios for their own purposes and they don't necessarily have anything to do with actual odds or likelihoods.

message 19: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (halfpint66) | 272 comments True. Personally I can't stand reading about the hero taking the time to retrieve and put on the condom. I think it takes away from the moment. I think that the condome thing should not be written about and the author should let the read assume they did or didn't use protection, unless the author is writing one of those "OOPS forgot the protection and now there's a baby" stories, which I do happen to enjoy.

message 20: by Arch (new)

I like to see in a fade sex scene, where a condom is used.

message 21: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 9734 comments Mod
I'm with you, Debbie. It bursts my romantic bubble. That's why Suzanne Brockmann annoys me with her safe sex PSAs. I like her books, but I almost want to skip the sex scenes because I know it's coming.

message 22: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee I wondering if mentioning it later, after all is done, would make it better? Not sure how it could be slipped in (no pun intended) to the dialogue or story? Maybe just casually say he tossed it away or she finds the empty package lying on the bed later? I don't know. Just a thought.

message 23: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 9734 comments Mod
I'd prefer it to be very subtle, if it's there. That might work, Lisa.

message 24: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (halfpint66) | 272 comments Yeah, I agree with you Lisa.

message 25: by willaful (new)

willaful I'm totally the opposite -- I find it very distracting when authors ignore birth control et. al.

message 26: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (halfpint66) | 272 comments Some people in reality ignore it, so it doesn't bother me if it happens in my romances.

message 27: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melaina) | 411 comments I don't mind reading about the whole condom thing in a sex scene, if it's short, which it often is (one sentence or less), like the H turns away to put the condom on, or "he took the necessary second to slip on the condom", or some variation of that: I started reading romance young, so although I don't mind the unprotected sex in the historicals, in contemporaries I find it beneficial for younger women/teenagers to read about the pill/condoms, etc,..

One scene of unprotected sex (in contemporaries) is fine, but regular scenes, for me, imply to younger girls (who are discovering their sexuality) that there is "only" pregnancy to be scared of..

message 28: by Zee (new)

Zee Monodee (zee_monodee) | 688 comments I've written about the heroine getting pregnant after unprotected sex, even if the condom wasn't present and she was on the injection (the starting point for Storms in a Shot Glass). It was just one shag, one moment, a one-night-stand.

I'm pretty agreeing with Melanie about the need for young girls and women to feel able to demand that a man wear a condom when they have sex. Romance empowers, we gotta face it, and that's why I always try to have the protection issue in. If it so happens that unprotected sex happens, the heroine may go on the morning-after pill just to keep it realistic.