Goodtunes discussion

Musical Groups > QUEEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carl (new)

Carl I. | 96 comments We've been on a HUGE Queen kick around my house lately. My kids have both finally gotten hooked on them with my daughter sitting down and watching the Live Aid performance with me last weekend.

When I was 8 or 9 they became my first HUGE obsession. This was back in '79, so I was at the perfect era to fall head over heals in love with them.

Sadly though when I was a kid my Mom heard "Get Down Make Love" and decided Queen were not appropriate for a kid to be listening to. She didn't, however stop me from listening to them, but she did refuse to take me to any of their concerts. I begged and begged every time they came around, but she always said "no". Then eventually they stopped touring the States.

Flash forward a few years and my Mom becomes a fan. She finally decided to listen to other songs of their and realized they were VERY good.

Flash forward a few more years and there I am walking through the door, and there is my mom.

"Freddie Mercury has AIDS".

My heart sank.

The next day I get home, there is my mom in the doorway with tears in her eyes.

"Freddie Mercury died".

It was a punch to the gut. My childhood idol, one of them (the other was Randy Rhoads, but I lost Randy a long time before) was gone. I still watch them and can't believe he is not alive still. I think that says what kind of power he had. His presence was so strong, it still seems like it is there.

One thing about Queen, I don't think any band has ever had the ability to shift gears as fiercely as they could. One second they were pure grinding guitars and pounding drums, harder and louder than any band had ever been (yeah, not even Sabbath was as fierce), then they would completely shift styles and turn absolutely beautiful.

Top Queen songs:
'39
Don't Stop Me Now
It's Late
The Prophet Song
Now I'm Here
Keep Yourself Alive
Father To Son

Hell, damn near everything really.

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) They were indeed a great band! I had several of their albums (real albums not cds).

message 3: by Auntee (new)

Auntee | 30 comments Brings back memories...I can remember all the kids in school getting the lyrics to "Killer Queen" and of course "Bohemian Rhapsody"...:)

message 4: by Gary (new)

Gary | 70 comments I guess Queen were my first band, I remember as a kid listening to my dads copy of Queens greatest hits1 over and over on my personal stereo, definitely a great band.

message 5: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) I miss Freddie. Talk about stage presence! I love "Under Pressure" with Freddie and David Bowie.

message 6: by Liz (new)

Liz (zucchiniesinbikinies) I love 'good old fashioned loverboy' - my sister and I do a nice duet with that one!

message 7: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 328 comments I loved Randy Rhoads too. Love his guitars. I love Queen. My favorite would have to be Under Pressure, or Bohemian Rhapsody or...well they're just all around awesome.

message 8: by Carl (new)

Carl I. | 96 comments It is ridiculous how much stage presence Freddie had. His command of a stage and audience was ridiculous. I was watching the Wembley Stadium show the other night, and that massive stage just disappears when he is anywhere on it.

message 9: by Lori (new)

Lori (barfield) | 513 comments Mod
I discovered Queen in 1980. I had listened to them before that, on the radio, but in 1980 Flash Gordon came out and I DISCOVERED queen. God knows I loved Flash Gordon, if you haven't watched it, you really should. It may seem a little cheesy, but all the music is Queen, and it's fing awesome. Freddie Mercury is still missed.

message 10: by Carl (new)

Carl I. | 96 comments FLASH GORDON is excess and cheese in the grandest form. I loved the movie when I was a kid, but that was partially due to Queen having done the soundtrack. I was a fan of FLASH in the comic form and in the old serials form, but I knew the movie was kind of bad in a way, but the soundtrack made it all worthwhile. I loved the film no matter what. The DVD is also a brilliant presentation. Lacking in extras, but the films looks amazing.

message 11: by Lori (last edited Apr 10, 2010 06:19PM) (new)

I don't have Flash on DVD. I'd love to have it. I never thought it was bad, just a little cheesy. That's where I saw Timothy Dalton for the first time, be still my beating heart! LOL And Max Von Sydow, who has been in many of my favorite movies. But the sound track by Queen made Flash Gordon work, I don't think it would have if it had been done by anyone else.

message 12: by Carl (new)

Carl I. | 96 comments Max Von Sydow was brilliant in it!!! PERFECT as Ming.
Well, the football scene was pretty bad. Cheesy, but sooo cheesy that it had to be considered bad. :)

message 13: by Lori (new)

I was so upset earlier, but you've made me forget about that mess. Yeah you still da man! Well i'll give that to you as that's how you remember it, but I loved the whole cheesy thing!

message 14: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) Carl, he was a natural performer that not many have matched since. His exotic looks added to his act.

I never get sick of listening to "Crazy Little Thing Called Love." That came out when I was a freshman in high school.

message 15: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 328 comments MY dad saw Queen when he got sent to Germany in the military. He got to see al kinds of cool concerts, and he said Freddy Mercury was one of the best live singers he had ever heard. The stage show also was quite elaborate.

message 16: by Carl (new)

Carl I. | 96 comments What year was that about?

message 17: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 328 comments I'll have to ask him. I'll have your answer as soon as possible.