BOOK-A-HOLICS discussion

Book Chat > Fair Warning

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wes, Moderator (last edited Apr 12, 2010 07:13AM) (new)

Wes (pricerightbooks) | 473 comments Mod
Hey everyone... We love to read great books and feel cheated when we waste time on a terrible book. So if you want to know on whether to get a book post it here and hopefully one of the other members will give you advice. Also post here if you read a book and decided it was the biggest waste of time ever and wished you had not, based on the writing, or content.

Happy Reading,
Wes

message 2: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Alright I know this may be sacriligious to some people but last year I finally picked up A walk to remember by Nicholas Sparks from my school library because I had heard so many positive things about it. Yes I had seen the movie with Mandy Moore and Shane West but I didn't let that influence me because I knew that the book was very different from the movie. So I was really looking forward to it and I set some time aside to start and finish the book one night (it's not a very long book and I read fast). So I started it and right off the bat I found his writing to be dry and bland and completely unappealing but I pushed through it just to say I gave it a fair chance to get better but I was left bitterly disappointed.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I pass on any novel by Nicholas Sparks. Way too much sugar.
I would also skip The Celestine Prophesy and The Alchemist.
And lest I forget, 2666.

message 4: by Wes, Moderator (new)

Wes (pricerightbooks) | 473 comments Mod
Sandra wrote:
And lest I forget, 2666."

Yes, this book did not last for me I got in over 100 pages and thought what is the point of this garbage.

message 5: by Shana (new)

Shana (shanac55) I have always said "I don't put books down. If I start a book, I finish it - no matter what." Well that was always true, until I tried to read The Savage Detectives by Roberto Bolaño. Man, that book haunted me until I finally gave it up 3/4 way through. I gave it my all, but just could not get through it. I'm ashamed.

message 6: by Shawn (new)

Shawn I used to have that completionist behvior towards books as well. But sometime in my later 30's I dropped it. I realize that there are far too many books I want to read and I will die before I get to all of them. So if a book hasn't grabbed me by the time i'm 1/4 of the way in, or if the author just rubs me the wrong way, or in short, I'm NOT ENJOYING THE READ, I put it back and grab another. Don't be ashamed ... life is too short. Not all author's speak to all people.

That said, I have been surpised sometimes when I have picked up books 10 years on, which I did not like at that time in my life, and I find I do enjoy them later. In particular, Dickens comes to mind. I first attempted to read him when I was about 20 or so and it was torture. Then, around 30 I read him and thoroughly enjoyed him -- he is great. My 20 year old self was not in a position to get it, but my 30 year old self was.

-Shawn

message 7: by Shana (new)

Shana (shanac55) Shawn,
It's true! I am currently reading Wuthering Heights, which I read in high school and hated. I love it now. I think it may have made my top 10 favorites books.

message 8: by Shawn (new)

Shawn Shana, I feel the same way -- Dickens is a top 10 favorite of mine now. Most books that don't work for me I will not go back to, but major authors or titles, those who folks have loved over the years, deserve a second chance later in life.

-Shawn

message 9: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (porterak) these last few comments are why I must be afraid to put one down because all of a sudden my taste may change and the book may become really good. there are books that we had to read in high school that I hated and I wonder if I should ever go back and reread them. Like for example "Brave New World" and "Frankinstein"?