readers who run discussion

Running without a race for a goal.

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tanya (new)

Tanya | 3 comments Hi runners. Just wondered whether there was anyone like me out there who has been struggling to get the motivation going? At the moment I can't enter any races as I'm between jobs so spending money on myself feels wrong and a few weeks ago I didn't feel like I was going anywhere with my running. Then I thought I'd try following one of the training plans as if I were aiming for a race and it's worked. I've decided to use Liz Yelling's book and the last 2 weeks I have got up, out of bed and out the door. Fingers crossed it will last.
Are there any other motivational tips anyone has?
Tanya

message 2: by Joe (new)

Joe | 3 comments Yes. Don't get pneumonia. It really puts a kink in the running schedule.

message 3: by Jill (new)

Jill | 27 comments Compete against yourself like trying to run faster on a route than you did the last time you ran it. Or run more frequently or longer distance one week from the next.

Run happy!

message 4: by Travis (new)

Travis (tjc8) | 1 comments I like what Jill said, this works great for me. I don't do to many races through the year but I'll usually have a "project" going that keeps me motivated. Like once a week going back to a steep climb to see if I can get to the top faster or just feeling better, then you really feel like you are making progress and get more motivated to see how much better you can do and it goes on... Anyway definitely run to be happy and feel free.

message 5: by Tanya (new)

Tanya | 3 comments Thanks for the good ideas.

message 6: by Jasonallenross (new)

Jasonallenross | 2 comments I read "Born to Run" by Christopher McDougall and it made me re-think why and how I run. I got it from the library so it cost me $0 :)

You could also keep an eye out for local races. I just ran a 5K in my town, registration was cheap and I didn't need to get a hotel, pay for any meals out, etc. I could have even opted for not getting the t-shirt and it would have cost less.

You might want to find out if there is a local running group or club? Maybe just meeting other people and going for a run would help with the motivation?

I've been "between jobs" before, and I found that exercise was key to keep my spirits up and de-stress. One thing you DO have when you are in that state is more time on your hands, so take advantage when you can. I was out of work from April-September 2001. I'd spend 4-5 hours on the job hunt then I'd run, bike, run errands, cook dinner for the remaining time. While being without work was not exactly a happy time, I do recall fondly the time I got to work out and set my own schedule.

message 7: by Matt (new)

Matt | 2 comments Depending on where you live joining a running club is a really good option. I used to live in Columbia, MO and the Columbia Track Club had numerous low key, free or extremely cheap races every year (the marathon costs $25 to enter).

If you are willing I would try and get for some group runs 1-2 a week. Those are always motivating as well as a fun way to learn new running routes and meet interesting people.

message 8: by Serena (new)

Serena (serenapet) | 2 comments i find having someone to run with keeps me motivated. when i have no actual race goal in mind, i use running to meet up with my girlfriends. We all run together, catch up with each other, and feel great afterwards.

message 9: by Jason (last edited Feb 04, 2011 09:08AM) (new)

Jason (jgregg42) | 1 comments Check out your local running clubs at www.rrca.org

also connect with other runners on www.dailymile.com. you will find a large database of runners who love to motivate each other.

message 10: by John (new)

John Griffen (wondermutt) It helps to mix it up:
Get a streak going
Try some new routes
Try trail running
Run with a local club
Remind yourself that when you do get a job and can afford to race, you will be glad you kept up the training.

message 11: by Runnread (new)

Runnread | 6 comments I ALWAYS have a race on the calendar. Even if the race is months away, I tell myself I'm 'training', not merely 'working out' or 'running'. It sounds, in my opinion, more motivational. After my marathon next weekend, I don't have another until NYC in November but I'll still keep 'training'.

message 12: by Nita (new)

Nita (nitasweeney) | 6 comments Runnread wrote: "I ALWAYS have a race on the calendar. Even if the race is months away, I tell myself I'm 'training', not merely 'working out' or 'running'. It sounds, in my opinion, more motivational. After my ..."

Have to agree with Runnread. I like to have a race to work toward. It keeps me motivated. I like having a training plan so that I don't have to think too hard about how far or how fast to run on a given day. I work on a 10-day cycle based on Bart Yasso's perfect 10's from his book _My Life on the Run_. And one run a week is always a pure fun run so I'm always mixing it up.

message 13: by Mark (new)

Mark Matthews (xmarkm) | 11 comments Music, music, and more music. If I find the right song, and right mix, it always helps. Try listening to The Dog Days Are Over by Florence and The Machine 20 times in a row and it will help - do intervals to the chorus. Or listen to the soundtrack of Les Miserables. Okay, these are things that work for me. As for races, taking time off is fine. Let yourself off the hook. Run without a watch for a full year. Try it. Then jump back in and attack.

message 14: by Greta (new)

Greta Fisher (bougenviilea) I decided to start running again after a veeery long time of just walking
for exercise. When I was most into running I was in my late twenties-now I'm 51. I'll be running (really slowly) on country roads that are mostly paved,but some of it is gravel. There are plenty of hills! Could someone recommend a good running shoe?

message 15: by Jill (new)

Jill | 27 comments No. I'm of the opinion no one can tell you what's going to work best for you. But there are some guidelines to follow.

If you are serious about running your shoes are most important. So go to a running store that does gait analysis. They won't charge you for that and it is the best way to get into the right shoe for you. They'll look at your gait and know if you need stability, cushioning or neutral shoes.

If you're not sure if you're going to get deep into running I still recommend getting into the right pair of shoes because it'll increase the chance that your foray into running is a good one rather than painful and frustrating.

As far as brands go, again you have to try them on and see how they are for you. Shoes are like clothes different brands are cut a little different at fit us differently. I like K-swiss because they have a bigger toe box than a lot of the other shoes and it keeps my toes from 'fighting' during my long runs. :)

Hope that wasn't too much info! :) I'm pretty exciting about running! Hope you have a great time getting back into.