Conversations on Website Conversion discussion

Inbound Marketing > Chapter 6 - Getting Found on Google

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Diamond Website Conversion (diamondwebsiteconversion) | 78 comments Mod
In this chapter, we learned about what sort of criteria Google uses to measure the value of a site, and to rank it within the search results for a term or set of terms. It was interesting learning about the “magic” going on behind the scenes of every search. It was simultaneously a little disheartening—there are tens- or hundred-of-thousands of results for many searches, and getting your page into the top 10 is essential.

That said, the chapter offers advice for tackling the problem through Search Engine Optimization (SEO). This was a great takeaway lesson, because you can take what you learned and begin to apply it right away. What changes did you begin formulating while reading this section? And to keep things on a positive note, where does your website already succeed?

message 2: by Marty (new)

Marty | 36 comments Since I've started reading this book - I've been focusing a lot more on my writing skills - and particularly the headlines to my blog posts and articles and those first few sentences. I really liked the tips for headlines in this chapter, because I've struggled with getting those SEO keywords into the headline and at the same time make it something that will grab the reader and compel them to read more. I really admire the people that can do this well.

I've started writing articles and placing them out in places like squidoo and ezine articles - in an effort to build links - I'm not that good at asking for links from other sites - so that probably isn't a great option for me - So I'm working on my writing skills and trying to improve my content with each attempt.

message 3: by Hope (new)

Hope Hyland | 29 comments I think that this has been one of the biggest points of the chapters so far—remarkable content can gain inbound links on its own, and it can also be submitted to Social News sharing sites like Digg or StumbleUpon. Before submitting an article to any of these websites, you have to make certain that it is perfect. I would have friends, family members, or co-workers look over them and edit. The more eyes, the better. You don’t have to be an expert in editing to give good advice, either. One of the most important things about a blog is the tone—it should be both professional and conversational, and this is something that anyone can read for and notice.

message 4: by Shelby (new)

Shelby (shelbysanchez) | 52 comments I use Google at least 30 times a day. It's incredible the power this search engine has for helping people make informed decisions.

"A recent study shows that Google's first page captures over 89% of the traffic, and most users never look beyond the first page."

SEO should be a top priority for any website bound to achieve success. In chapter 6 the authors emphasize that businesses should focus on organic over paid search results. As a frequent Google user I never click on the PPC adds. I don't trust them as much as the organic results. Clearly I'm not the only one who feels this way. Some helpful tips for how to rank high in the organic results are...ranking is based on relevance and authority, search engines like content, inbound links, and relevant keywords.

message 5: by Hope (new)

Hope Hyland | 29 comments Shelby wrote: "As a frequent Google user I never click on the PPC adds. I don't trust them as much as the organic results. Clearly I'm not the only one who feels this way."

You are definitely not alone! I feel just the same way-- all-too-often those PPC ads are from companies or websites that have nothing to do with the keywords you searched.

Ranking in the organic results should be the top goal, for certain. Optimizing your website for keywords is something important that can get forgotten from time to time. It's easy to just assume that your website will make sense, which it may for people, and that the Google crawler will "get it." I never really thought about making certain that the keywords were in all of your page titles, as well as being present in the body of your page.

message 6: by Anne (new)

Anne | 51 comments Good point on the organic vs. paid results.
I highlighted a sentence at the bottom of page 80 - "organic listings are usually not achieved by new entrants that are just getting started."
This is testament as to why doing your initial keyword research is necessary. These keywords then thread throughout all of your SEO, PPC and inbound marketing efforts. It may take time, especially as a small business trying to get found on the web, yet as is true with all of your endeavors, a good foundation is necessary.

message 7: by Gail Monique (new)

Gail Monique Mallo (fissionlink) | 1 comments I like how google changes its algorithm. I've been a web content writer for years and in the previous companies I've worked with, they use black hat SEO. They dont' care about the quality of articles because they compromise quality over quantity. But these days I just focus on the quality and get positive results. For example, the articles I've written with incorporated significant keywords for the brand I am marketing shows up on the first page of Google Page and not just the first page but on top hits of Google.

This way people are also able to trust Google search more because of the quality of searches they give users. It's amazing.