The Next Best Book Club discussion

Other Novels To Discuss > Dan Brown's 'Lost Symbol' - trust me do not read

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trion (new)

Trion | 27 comments I would rather cut off my thumb bury it somewhere and hit myself hard so i loose all my memory of where i have hidden my thumb which can only be located by using a coded piece of Shite.

Seriously its hard on eyes. Too much distraction in the book,worthless passages to fill up the pages.

I can understand Author bigging up things to make a simple story elegant/sensational/mysterious but this guy Dan filled up so much unnecessary crap.

i can ofcourse find the reason why he wrote any particular passage but what a zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...................

message 2: by Elena (new)

Elena Trion wrote: "I would rather cut off my thumb bury it somewhere and hit myself hard so i loose all my memory of where i have hidden my thumb which can only be located by using a coded piece of Shite.

Seriousl..."

It was just an OK book for me.

message 3: by Kate Padilla (new)

Kate Padilla | 5 comments I read the review in TIME, and it said, "Dan Brown writes like he believes Wikipedia." Ouch.

message 4: by El (new)

El That is one of the sassiest comments I've ever seen in TIME. I love it.

message 5: by Carol (new)

Carol Didn't like Angels and Demons , Da vinci Code ,meh ,so I will take a pass on this one. Thanks for the review Trion

message 6: by Marci (new)

Marci (iread49) | 215 comments I didn't like the Davinci Code ...so overhyped so no interest in his other books. Trion your a hoot!!!

message 7: by F1Wild (new)

F1Wild OK, I must be weird, but I enjoyed this book (of course it was a way quick read).

Maybe I liked it only because at the time my hubby and I were in deep discussion with a friend who recently found out that part of his family is of Jewish decent. He and his immediate family began the process of converting from pretty devout Christianity (quoting from & carrying a bible with them everywhere) to Judaism. During the process he began his own little fact-finding mission (online) on Christianity, Masonic symbolism & practices and much more.

Although I didn't take Brown's book as serious text for study, it did give me ideas for discussion. Face it, Dan Brown doesn't write for the intellectual scholars and so if you're not into his religion-inspired fluff you shouldn't read his books...as I doubt they will ever be any different.

message 8: by Kristie (new)

Kristie (spedkristie) this book was ok....200 pages of pointless junk that just took up time..... I was hoping for better!

message 9: by F1Wild (new)

F1Wild I have a quick question for all that disliked this book - did you like his others and only disliked this one or are you just not a fan of Dan Brown? I find that some authors are just not the right cup o' tea! ;-))

message 10: by Carol (new)

Carol I was bored with the other two books they went on far to long, so I chose to not even read this one. Dan Brown is not my cuppa. I did enjoy the mindless movie though,(Da Vinci Code)but it tended to ramble along like the book.

message 11: by Nathaniel (new)

Nathaniel (nathaniel_) I haven't read the other books of the Dan Brown oeuvre, so I can't really say why I picked this one up. I enjoyed it. It's perfectly pointless and probably IQ draining. I thought it was fairly innocuous and not particularly well written, but I've read worse.

(Off topic Question: Wasn't there a journalist/civilian person released from captivity in Afghanistan/Pakistan who had one book to read Brown's "Digital Fortress", and he read it like eight times? Anyone remember who I'm thinking of? Maybe it was the NY Times journalist?)

message 12: by Kate Padilla (new)

Kate Padilla | 5 comments F1Wild wrote: "I have a quick question for all that disliked this book - did you like his others and only disliked this one or are you just not a fan of Dan Brown? I find that some authors are just not the right..."

I read Angels and Demons and really liked it, and I read the Davinci Code and really didn't. It was pretty much the same story, except less full-circle than A&D. From his pattern of going from bad to worse, I didn't really even thing to bother with this new one.

message 13: by F1Wild (last edited Apr 04, 2010 01:09PM) (new)

F1Wild I never heard that story about DB's book, Nathaniel, but it would be interesting to know. I guess Dan Brown is one of those authors you either like or don't like. For me, it's the mood I'm in. While I love Steinbeck, Buck, Fitzgerald & pretty much all Asian-inspired historical fiction, a decent fluff book every now and then isn't too bad for the brain cells. Maybe it's like comparing a Beyonce album to your favorite Vivaldi - one probably sold many more millions & you love to dance to it while the other really reaches to the depths of your soul, but earned the composer little.

message 14: by Kristie (new)

Kristie (spedkristie) I liked Angels and Demons and The Da Vinci Code.....the other 2 were predictable....I just hated this one!

message 15: by Trion (new)

Trion | 27 comments I just loved 'Angels and demons' and that just pushed me to go forward and read 'Digital fortress' and 'Lost Symbol'.

However in both of later books, author slept off in the end and scribbled something in his sleeep..

Still i will go for 'Deception point'

i appreciate him as i have learnt a lot about religions
but i also have a right to criticise Dan

message 16: by Cassie (new)

Cassie (cassielo) | 42 comments I really liked DaVinci Code, thought Angels & Demons was kind of lame but still liked it, really liked Digital Fortress, thought Deception Point was kind of boring... and I thought Lost Symbol was pretty bad.

message 17: by Rene (new)

Rene | 49 comments I liked the fast pace of The DaVinci Code and I loved Angels and Demons. I thought The Lost Symbol was ok. It was a fast read and it brought forth some interesting ideas if one tended to ponder. Remember this is fiction, just fiction.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1736 comments I'm certainly not going to read this one, as I tried Angels and Demons and got bored and didn't finish it.

Boredom is fatal for a thriller.

message 19: by Angie (new)

Angie Personally I liked this book... though I can't remember it! HA! But that is because it is one of those quick read books I just enjoy in the moment. Nothing that will change my life or anything.

message 20: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (kellyng) I don't like other books from Dan Brown, but The Lost Symbol takes over my hatred for Dan Brown.