Dangerous Hero Addict Support Group discussion

Archived/Extinct Discussions > How Does A Hero Catches Your Attention?

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Arch (new)

Arch  | 4144 comments Mod
I have said "a hero", instead of "the hero", because sometimes the main hero doesn't catch your attention, but the secondary hero does. Well that's my experience with heroes. I have read books and I am reading a book now, where the secondary hero stood tall in the book.

Noah Clayborne was a secondary hero in both Mercy and Heartbreaker and he has caught my attention big time. Mini Cole Clayborne.

I like to see the good bad boy shine through the hero. I like to see him get under a good person's skin. Especially the heroine's skin. Tension city!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Is Noah a For The Roses Clayborne descendant?

message 3: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 9734 comments Mod
If he's enigmatic, hard to figure out. If he seems like he's suffered greatly, and that he's tortured. If he's outrageous, and doesn't seem to care what others think about him. But he doesn't like seeing nice people get hurt. Also heroes who are outside of the box, and who are unusual in some way.

message 4: by Arch (new)

UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Is Noah a For The Roses Clayborne descendant?"

Yes, he's Cole Clayborne's great-great grandson.

message 5: by Arch (new)

Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "If he's enigmatic, hard to figure out. If he seems like he's suffered greatly, and that he's tortured. If he's outrageous, and doesn't seem to care what others think about him. But he doesn't like..."

That's a box of popsicle.

message 6: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

I like heroes who are really good at something, whether it's computers, martial arts, gun or swordplay, etc. A rake doesn't count. I really am not impressed by a hero who is only good at sex. Boring!!

message 7: by Arch (new)

Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "I like heroes who are really good at something, whether it's computers, martial arts, gun or swordplay, etc. A rake doesn't count. I really am not impressed by a hero who is only good at sex. Bo..."

Yeah, sex. Boring!

The charcters need to be alive away from the bed.

message 8: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 702 comments I think you are on to something here, because we all have read books where the secondary characters almost seem more interesting as the main ones. Some times it is hard to say why, it is sort of like when you meet someone in person and you instantly like them or are attracted to them, you can't put your finger on it, but it is there all the same.

message 9: by Arch (new)

Darcy wrote: "I think you are on to something here, because we all have read books where the secondary characters almost seem more interesting as the main ones. Some times it is hard to say why, it is sort of l..."

Yes, for some reason a lot of the secondary heroes stand out more than the main hero.

message 10: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 702 comments I think the more developed they are the better they are. A great example of this is the In Death series by JD Robb. I love Eve and Roarke!! But I am at the point where I read the books just as much for all the secondary people, Mavis, Peabody, Feeney, Summerset, I could go on and on. They are so much fun.

I also think this happens more in series than stand alones because there are more books where the author is able to develop the secondary characters as much as the main ones.

message 11: by Arch (new)

I like when an author makes the reader wants to know more about the secondary character.

message 12: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

Me too.

message 13: by SheLove2Read (new)

SheLove2Read (sherrih95) Arch wrote: "I like when an author makes the reader wants to know more about the secondary character."

Yes! I'm reading the Psy Changeling series right now (on book 4) and I'm very very interested in Hawke. I know he doesn't have a book yet (at least none I've gotten to) but every time he's in a scene I'm drawn to him.

message 14: by Arch (new)

Sherri wrote:"Yes! I'm reading the Psy Changeling series right now (on book 4) and I'm very very interested in Hawke. I know he doesn't have a book yet (at least none I've gotten to) but every time he's in a scene I'm drawn to him.

The secondary character tends to draw a reader.

I know that if he catches my attention, he draws me.

message 15: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

Sherri, I am anxiously awaiting Hawke's book.

message 16: by Chrizette (new)

Chrizette Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Sherri, I am anxiously awaiting Hawke's book."

Me too . . . I still have #7 to go but if Sierra is not attached, I am hoping for them to get together :)

message 17: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

I have a feeling Sienna and Hawke will end up together.

message 18: by SheLove2Read (new)

SheLove2Read (sherrih95) That's my feeling too.

message 19: by Kathy Anne (last edited Mar 31, 2010 06:02PM) (new)

Kathy Anne (kathyanne) Timothy Olyphant has been my dream man for several years now
Watch the way he raises his eyebrows and tilts his chin down and to the side and smiles and you know what sexy is to me
A few yrs back when I was younger my gf and me would practice his facial moves we were so enthralled by him.

message 20: by Arch (new)

Kathy Anne wrote: "Timothy Olyphant has been my dream man for several years now
Watch the way he raises his eyebrows and tilts his chin down and to the side and smiles and you know what sexy is to me
A few yrs back..."

He does have that sexiness to him and it shows in his character Raylan.

message 21: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

I can completely see what you mean, Kathy
Anne. I do like his facial expressions and physicality. It's particularly noticeable on Justified.

message 22: by Kathy Anne (new)

Kathy Anne (kathyanne) Danielle,
He doesnn`t have a pmping iron body but a more natural swimmers long,loose muscles and movement-he won medals at USC in swimming.
Hes a keeper for sure

message 23: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

Definitely. I like his lean, long body. I was watching Hitman the other day and drooling. :)

message 24: by Arch (new)

Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Definitely. I like his lean, long body. I was watching Hitman the other day and drooling. :)"

I'll have to watch it, hopefully tonight to see why Timothy's character was making you drool.

message 25: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

Well, maybe you'll join the drooling party. :)

message 26: by Arch (new)

Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Well, maybe you'll join the drooling party. :)"

I'll blog about the movie and share my thoughts on the groups.

message 27: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

Awesome. I haven't blogged about movies in a while. I meant to do one about Couples Retreat. I found that movie oddly disturbing.

message 28: by Arch (last edited Apr 01, 2010 09:38AM) (new)

Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Awesome. I haven't blogged about movies in a while. I meant to do one about Couples Retreat. I found that movie oddly disturbing."

You didn't like Couples Retreat? I wanted to see it, but wait until it comes on Starz.

I have to watch A Family That Preys and Obsessed, because I want to blog about them as well. I have recorded them to watch, so I can blog about them. I'm not interested in either one.

message 29: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

I wasn't too fond of it. It was kind of funny, but it's kind of an anti-marriage movie, in some ways. Just the way I see it, anyway. I have Obsessed. I haven't watched it yet.

message 30: by Arch (new)

Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "I wasn't too fond of it. It was kind of funny, but it's kind of an anti-marriage movie, in some ways. Just the way I see it, anyway. I have Obsessed. I haven't watched it yet."

I'm for marriage.I just thought it would be funny. Justin can be funny.

message 31: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

Well, if you have some sterling ideas about marriage, this movie really kind of blasts those. It has a good cast. But I wasn't too impressed, to be honest.

message 32: by Arch (new)

Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Well, if you have some sterling ideas about marriage, this movie really kind of blasts those. It has a good cast. But I wasn't too impressed, to be honest."

Thanks for sharing what the movie is basically about.

message 33: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

I hope I didn't spoil you.

message 34: by Arch (new)

Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "I hope I didn't spoil you."

I'm fine.

message 35: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

Let me know what you think when you watch it.

message 36: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

Let me know what you think when you watch it.

message 37: by Arch (new)

Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Let me know what you think when you watch it."

I will.