Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > combining when originally published with a pseudonym?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nicole21) | 8 comments This book http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/... should be combined with Rich Again by Anna Maxted. Rich Again was originally published in the UK as Betrayal and under the pseudonym of Sasha Blake. I tried to combine it, but couldn't figure out how since it's a "different" author. Anyone know how to combine in that case?

message 2: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7029 comments This is what the Librarians manual has to say, towards the end is the bit I think you need:

Regarding author pseudonyms or pen names - some authors write or have written under multiple names. When editing or adding information for a book written by an author with multiple names, enter the author's name as on the front cover as the primary author. The author's other names may be added in the other author fields. Original name or other pen names can added and linked via a Librarian Note: in the description field, or using the Librarian Note feature located above the Title field. In some cases, a book may be originally published under a pen name, but then later reissued under the author's original name. When this happens, the author listed for any and all editions should be the author name the book was originally published under - so the reissued edition would need its author name changed to the originally published pen name. Doing this will allow the various editions to be combined.

message 3: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nicole21) | 8 comments Hmmm...so if the manual says all editions should be under the pen name, that leaves me with another question. Hardly anyone has Betrayal by Sasha Blake in their library; the vast majority have it as Rich Again by Anna Maxted. So would this be an exception? I think a lot of people would be confused by the change.

Thanks for your help.

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 44178 comments Mod
Books published under two names should have the name a given edition was published under listed, as the secondary author if not the primary. (And as the primary if there's no reason not to, but in this case there is.)

message 5: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nicole21) | 8 comments Thanks. I added Anna Maxted as the primary to Betrayal and combined the two. Here's the link http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/69... if anyone wants to double check what I did.

message 6: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 44178 comments Mod
Looks good to me.