Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Wrong ISBNs?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Monissa (new)

Monissa | 20 comments I can't sort this out because I'm not at home/ pinching time on a borrowed computer

I have a copy of http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/32... with the ISBN 1863094253 (I tripled this in my hand & I tripedl checked the numbers on the back cover)

But in the database 1863094253 is attached to http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/29...

message 2: by Gregory (new)

Gregory Haney (haneyg) | 4 comments Hmm. I ran the ISBNs through Google and DealOz and received the current books as results, correctly matched.

Don't know how to answer this, perhaps another Librarian has come across this before.

message 3: by Monissa (new)

Monissa | 20 comments So much for hoping it was a simple transposition when the books were entered into the database.

message 4: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 26084 comments Occasionally, the publisher gets it wrong.

I've had various books with the wrong ISBN's, although most of them have been ebooks.

In your case above, both 13 ISBN's are different. I'm inputting that info now.

It looks likely that the SF book belongs to 1863094253.

However, looking at WorldCat, there is a third book showing - a Thomas Hardy 2-for-1, 1997, Jude the Obscure & The Woodlanders.

This is just getting messier & messier.

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 44647 comments Mod
Sandra wrote: "In your case above, both 13 ISBN's are different."

Only possible if one of the ISBN-10's is incorrect (or one of the ISBN-13's is). There is only one legit ISBN-10 for each ISBN-13 and v.v.

message 6: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 26084 comments Yeah Rivka, I think one of the ISBN 10's was wrong.

And I'm assuming the 3rd book was a reuse from same publisher?

message 7: by Monissa (new)

Monissa | 20 comments Looks like a printing error. The ISBN inside the ghost stories book is different to the one on the back cover. (sigh) The inside number matches the one on the database.

I'll add a note to these two books for the benefit of any future readers trying to find the right book.