Twilighters discussion

I'm too tired for this nonsense

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura Okay. I admit it. I am an academic in literature and actually enjoy my job--for the most part. I do take pleasure in taking apart literature and trying to decipher what is REALLY going on in whatever piece I'm analyzing. However, I do feel tired quite often from the insistence on tearing apart literature and only (and I mean only) discussing a novel's flaws.

At the moment, I am deeply perturbed by a paper presentation for the South Eastern Women's Studies Association this Friday entitled "The Fascism of Twilight: The Move from the Racialized Other to a Superior White Race". True, I have not heard this presentation nor have I read this paper since that will not be possible until Friday, but I can already infer what the paper is about. Vampires are pale; Bella becomes one and has a baby with vampire; Jacob becomes her son-in-law; fascist!

I really think the author of this piece had to strain to come up with this interpretation. As I have tried to tell my students, Twilight is all about ACCEPTANCE and LOVE, not becoming a super white person. In literature, monsters often represent different groups, cultures, and/or races, and we can see this playing out in Twilight. Edward is a vampire; Jacob is both Native American and a werewolf; Bella is "human." The vampires and the wolves hate each other for no explained reason and cling to each group's respective territory. What changes everything is Bella's influence and acceptance of both cultures; she believes both the vampires and the wolves are beautiful in their own way and does not care about any so-called "differences." Her becoming a vampire only stems from her wanting to be with Edward, not because she hates her human body. Moreover, Renesme represents racial harmony both through her birth--she is both vampire and human--and in her future partner, Jacob. Because of Bella's acceptance of everyone's differences, we are left with peace at the end of Breaking Dawn; everyone accepts everyone else's culture.

I'm trying to wrap my head around how one could interpret this story as fascist, of all things, but I struggle. The only explanation I can render at the moment is that many people do not read as much as they should (although, again, Twilight has left a positive impact on that situation) and therefore struggle with understanding fiction as an art form. The best example is all of the people who mindlessly despise Twilight because supposedly Meyer ruined vampires. We all know this is nonsense, especially given vampires are not only fictional, but also a malleable literary tool.

In short, I am annoyed by the bad press Twilight unjustly receives and felt the need to share my angst with you. I'll go back to re-reading that fascist trash New Moon now, thank you very much.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Lara wrote: "Okay. I admit it. I am an academic in literature and actually enjoy my job--for the most part. I do take pleasure in taking apart literature and trying to decipher what is REALLY going on in whatev..."

Thanks for sharing. I had no idea. I get so tired of
people trashing Twilight too and for so many very silly reasons.