Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

2010 Challenge Archive > 2010 April Monthly Challenge: Suggestions Thread

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments This is the thread where we ask questions, discuss, and make suggestions for the challenge.

1. April: Read a book which title starts with "A."

2. Birthday: Read a book from an April B-day celebrant.

3. Geography: Read a book whose author, setting or character is from Iowa.

4. Spring Theme: Read a book that has flower, flowers or garden on the cover; or has the word "flower", "flowers", or any type of flower as part of its title.

5. Earth Day: In the spirit of recycling, reread an old favorite or reuse a book that you have posted in a previous challenge but never got around to reading.

6. Creative Arts Theme: Read a book that has a character that is involved in any type of arts (music, dance, literature, etc).

7. With April as the fourth month, read a book that has received an average of 4 stars or more here in Goodreads.

8. Romance Genre: Read a fantasy romance.

9. Of Lists and Shelves: Read a book that is shelved within the first 10 pages of GR's romance shelf
(http://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/r...)

10. Reader's Choice

message 2: by Mel W (new)

Mel W (melw) | 981 comments Members celebrating a birthday in April can be found in this thread ... message 5 :)

message 3: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Anybody looking for a fantasy romance, I would like to suggest C.L. Wilson's Tairen Soul series.

First book is Lord of the Fading Lands.

message 4: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (last edited Mar 20, 2010 01:34PM) (new)

message 5: by Lotte_ladybird (new)

Lotte_ladybird Does anyone have any ideas for the fantasy romance or a list or any? That would be very helpful :)

message 6: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Lotte_ladybird wrote: "Does anyone have any ideas for the fantasy romance or a list or any? That would be very helpful :)"

Maybe this will give you more ideas.

http://fantasyromancewriters.com/

message 7: by Mel W (new)

Mel W (melw) | 981 comments Lotte_ladybird wrote: "Does anyone have any ideas for the fantasy romance or a list or any? That would be very helpful :)"

Here's some that I can think of off the top of my head :)

Shana Abe's Drakon series:
The Smoke Thief (Drakon, #1) by Shana Abé The Dream Thief (Drakon, #2) by Shana Abé Queen of Dragons (Drakon, #3) by Shana Abé The Treasure Keeper (Drakon, #4) by Shana Abé
Sherrilyn Kenyon's The League series:
Born of Night (The League, #1) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Born of Fire (The League, #2)  by Sherrilyn Kenyon Born of Ice (The League, #3) by Sherrilyn Kenyon
Nora Roberts' Three Sisters Island trilogy:
Dance Upon the Air (Three Sisters Island, #1) by Nora Roberts Heaven and Earth (Three Sisters Island, #2) by Nora Roberts Face the Fire (Three Sisters Island, #3) by Nora Roberts
Nora Roberts' Irish trilogy:
Jewels of the Sun (Gallaghers of Ardmore / Irish trilogy #1) by Nora Roberts Tears of the Moon (Gallaghers of Ardmore / Irish trilogy #2) by Nora Roberts Heart of the Sea (Gallaghers of Ardmore / Irish trilogy #3) by Nora Roberts

message 8: by Lotte_ladybird (new)

Lotte_ladybird Thanks Mel and Yz!

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (jim_formerly_photojim) | 5294 comments I was wondering if I could get a special dispensation for the A book to use Falling For April. It does have the whole month name in the title after all. Thoughts?

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

i want to sign up for the april challenge. picking my own books. how do I do this?

message 11: by Kasia (new)

Kasia Simply post the books you're planning on reading once you have them picked. That's it.

message 12: by Mel W (new)

Mel W (melw) | 981 comments Lotte_ladybird wrote: "Thanks Mel and Yz!"

Welcome, Lotte :) Apologies for them being all part of a series but I couldn't come up with any stand-alone books from memory. If I come across any, I'll try to remember to post them here.

message 13: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments Samhein publishing has a whole subsection called Fantasy Romance - and they have both ebooks and print books (and Amazon carries several of these authors also) - one name i found was Renee Wildes and the Guardians series

Lotte_ladybird wrote: "Does anyone have any ideas for the fantasy romance or a list or any? That would be very helpful :)"

message 14: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments not really a romance, but Dewey the small-town library cat is set in Iowa

message 15: by Annvelwis (new)

Annvelwis | 671 comments Mel W wrote: "Lotte_ladybird wrote: "Does anyone have any ideas for the fantasy romance or a list or any? That would be very helpful :)"

Here's some that I can think of off the top of my head :)

Shana ..."</i>

I'm confused... The League series by Sherrilyn Kenyon is set in, well, space: starships and other planets, different races and such. It's technology driven, not magic driven so if I had to classify the genre it would be sci-fi romance.

But you were close :) Sherrilyn Kenyon's (under [author:Kinley MacGregor
name) Lords of Avalon series is definitely fantasy romance. Right now there are two books available:
Sword of Darkness
Knight of Darkness

_____
A bit more fantasy romance from my shelfs...

Elizabeth Vaughan:
Warprize, Warsworn, Warlord
Maria V. Snyder:
Poison Study, Magic Study, Fire Study
Storm Glass, Sea Glass
G.A. Aiken (Shelly Laurenston):
Dragon Actually, About A Dragon, What A Dragon Should Know

message 16: by AmandaG (new)

AmandaG (amandag3) | 254 comments Thanks for the Iowa link! Definitely helped.

message 17: by Mel W (new)

Mel W (melw) | 981 comments Annvelwis, you make a valid point about The League series :). To me, sci-fi is fantasy (anything set in different worlds, really) so that's why I suggested it.

Another series I've just remembered ... Cheyenne McCray's Magic series:

Forbidden Magic (Magic Series, #1) by Cheyenne McCray Seduced by Magic (Magic Series, #2) by Cheyenne McCray Wicked Magic (Magic Series, #3) by Cheyenne McCray No Rest for the Witches by MaryJanice Davidson Shadow Magic (Magic Series, Book 4) by Cheyenne McCray Dark Magic (Magic Series, #5) by Cheyenne McCray

message 18: by Annvelwis (last edited Mar 30, 2010 12:28PM) (new)

Annvelwis | 671 comments Stephanie wrote: "What about the Black Jewels from Anne Bishop? I have the first but haven't read it yet. Is it Fantasy?"

It's definitely fantasy :) I'm not so sure about the romance part, though... heh. I've read firs book of Black Jewels series so far and there is some love in the air vibe, but I wouldn't say it's a dominant plot.

message 19: by Annie (new)

Annie (themadnessofhamsters) Jean Johnson - Sons of destiny series. The first in the series is The Sword.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) I'm stuck on an Iowa book. I learned Janet Daily and Max Allan Collins were born in Iowa, so that gives me alot of books right there. Jinx by Meg Cabot has the heroine from Iowa. Just wasn't in the mood to read any of those. Then a thought occurred to me. My mother wrote a book that I havn't read yet. Bit too religous for my taste but since my family is in every story including my kids in some (and me) I really need to read this. It's Windows on His World by Dora Hagge. My mom was born in Iowa, so it fits the category.

message 21: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (last edited Apr 19, 2010 08:46AM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Wow, that sounds pretty cool, Kate. Reading a book that includes yourself and people you know.

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (jim_formerly_photojim) | 5294 comments Yz, I don't know. It would really depend on what was being said. Even if I completely agreed with everything being said, there are things I don't want to share with everyone.

Then again, Kat, how can a book have been published by your mother two years ago and you have yet to read it?! I don't get that one at all.

message 23: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (last edited Apr 19, 2010 08:48AM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments LOL...Good point, Photojim. Come to think about it, I'm not so sure if I really want things about myself revealed to other people.

So, yes, Kate, why did it take you this long to read her book? Or is this a reread?