Horror Aficionados discussion

Short Stories > Getting published

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Larry (new)

Larry (hal9000i) right so you have a short story, and you want to submit it to a magazine. First one has to find a magazine to send it to (in the UK for me) and then theres the whole pre submitting procedure. Should there be a printed cover letter/synopsis etc?
How long do you wait before hearing from the publisher etc etc

message 2: by Scott (new)

Scott Every publisher is different. Guidelines should be on their website, if they are accepting submissions.

message 3: by Larry (new)

Larry (hal9000i) Thanks Scott.
So anyone got details for UK horror mags?

message 4: by Guido (new)

Guido Henkel (guidohenkel) | 244 comments I'm not sure why you want to limit yourself to UK magazines only? In this day and age you should really go global and try to get it out wherever you can.

message 5: by Larry (new)

Larry (hal9000i) I was thinking to save on postage Guido

message 6: by Guido (new)

Guido Henkel (guidohenkel) | 244 comments I have no experience with the submission process for fiction magazines, really, but I would think they're not nearly as rigorous as book publishers. With magazines I
would expect 90% of the submissions to be done in digital and online anyway, so that postage is not an issue.

It may depend however, if you're really only looking at very established print magazines, or if you also consider submitting to online fiction magazines/websites, of course.

message 7: by Shaun (new)

Shaun (shaunjeffrey) | 245 comments A whole host of markets can be found here, and they say whether they accept email subs: http://www.ralan.com/

Click through pro, semi pro etc, to see the full range and what they each offer. Obviously the pro ones pay more money, but are harder to get into.

message 8: by Shawn (new)

Shawn | 1168 comments http://www.duotrope.com/

Your one-stop website for all your submission needs. Make sure to check out the amazing reverse deadline topic calendar!

message 9: by Larry (new)

Larry (hal9000i) Thanks for the links guys!
Any readers of Black Static magazine on here? Its published by the Interzone team but is all horror.

message 10: by Scott (new)

Scott I think one of the Etchison stories I just read was originally published in Black Static.