Bodice Ripper Readers Anonymous discussion

Discussions and Questions > I used to read [genre], but now I'm here

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karla (new)

Karla | 1668 comments Mod
I know of two people who used to read romance back in the old bodice ripper heyday, but they moved on to sf/f and never looked back. My mother has since left sf/f (for the most part) and sticks to cozies and Patrick O'Brien-type naval fiction now.

I'm just wondering if the opposite is true for anybody here. Did you used to read obsessively in another type of genre and now find yourself solidly in the romance camp?

message 2: by Jennefer (last edited Mar 16, 2010 02:02PM) (new)

Jennefer (jenneferpracticex3) | 444 comments Mod
Great topic!

When I was kid I used to read science fiction and fantasy I think mostly because that is what my parents read and that was what was in the house.

After that I used to read almost exclusively non-fiction. Even if I was in the mood for a "story" I would pick up a memoir or a chicken soup for the soul type book but rarely fiction. At some point I decided I was taking my reading time too seriously and I needed some just for fun reading. LOL So here I am!

message 3: by Pamela(AllHoney) (last edited Mar 16, 2010 05:14PM) (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) I have always read romance. I've ventured out a few times to other genres (true-crime, biographies, westerns, inspiring, etc...) but always come back to romance.

message 4: by Karla (last edited Mar 17, 2010 05:51AM) (new)

Pamela wrote: "I have always read romance. I've ventured out a few times to other genres (true-crime, biographies, westerns, inspring, etc...) but always come back to romance."

Same here. I've always come back to romance, off and on, but for a time I read nothing but non-fiction on silent and Golden Age Hollywood. I gave up on reading fiction about Hollywood because it was never as interesting as the real people! And then there was that period where I did nothing but write and read fanfiction and rarely picked up a book (unless it was for research). At least I learned lots from that little foray, and got interested in many subjects because I wanted to write about them.

message 5: by Angelique (new)

Angelique Anderson | 3 comments Like you Jeanine I started out loving horror and I still enjoy it some, but nowadays I like every genre so long as there is some romance!

message 6: by Chrizette (new)

Chrizette Angelique wrote: "Like you Jeanine I started out loving horror and I still enjoy it some, but nowadays I like every genre so long as there is some romance!"

I agree, I will read almost any genre as long as there is enough romance :) I used to read only "bodice rippers" but am now leaning more towards paranormal romance.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) I used to read only historical romance. Now I read many genres in romance, except erotica.

message 8: by KimKirt (new)

KimKirt | 20 comments I read most everything except not much non-fiction. I would have to stay that before coming back to romances, I was reading mostly mysteries/crime novels (a lot of comical ones like Carl Hiaasen, Janet Evanvich). Also John Grisham and Stuart Woods. Before that, horror/suspense, like Stephen King and Dean Koontz.

Of course, being out of the romance genre for long has given me plenty to pick from now!

message 9: by Nona (new)

Nona (goodreadscomnona) | 61 comments well my first love is historical fiction and always will be but second to that is historical bodice ripping romances. I live in the modern world so no need to read about it, I take short breaks by reading PNR like JR Ward etc, I like anything pre-1800-ish

message 10: by Karla (new)

Nona wrote: "I live in the modern world so no need to read about it"

I think this is why I haven't been able to get into contemporaries, and why I don't like the HR that reads like modern people wearing costumes. I like the flavors and warts of ye olden times!

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) I don't like wallpaper historicals, either, Karla.