European Royalty discussion

Other Discussions > If I Were Producing a Movie - Llewelyn the Great

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robin (last edited Mar 18, 2010 01:12PM) (new)

Robin | 298 comments I haven't done one of these in many, many months so I thought it was time!

I absolutely fell in love with Llewelyn (and his grandson) while reading Penman's Welsh trilogy and I would love to see them on the Big Screen. While I would love to see the entire story in action before my eyes, I decided for this to pick Llewelyn and his story from "Here be Dragons."

I thought I would submit my recommendations as to who I'd pick to play various parts in this extremely interesting story! As I don't have the book in front of me I couldn't remember all the major characters in the novel so please add those that you think should be in a movie. Let me know if you think there's someone better for a role...I'm not to "up" on my stars! Lol!

Llewelyn ap Iorwerth (the Great) - Gerard Butler (I drool over this man so its only natural I'd want him in a roll that I'm going to drool over anyway!)

Joanna - Monica Belluci

Gruffydd ap Llewelyn -

Senena -

Dafydd ap Llewelyn -

King John - Rufus Sewell

Queen Isabelle -

Will de Braose -

message 2: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 17 comments Ioan Gruffydd (sp) for me for Llewelyn. He's Welsh, handsome and looks the part. For Joanna I'd go for the woman who played the evil queen in the Brothers Grimm. Monica Belluci.

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura | 99 comments I'm not sure who should play him but Will de Braose should be in the movie.

message 4: by Robin (new)

Robin | 298 comments Completely forgot about Will. Got him added!.

Elizabeth, I like your suggestion of Monica better than my idea of Anne Hathaway. Got that changed too. :)

message 5: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Jaffray  (andrealj) | 12 comments I would love to see a movie based on this book! I love the idea of Ioan, Elizabeth, I think he would be perfect. I also like your idea of Monica Belluci.

I am not sure who would be good as Gruffydd or Senena, but how about Rufus Sewell (sp) for King John. I have already seen him as Charles II, but I think he might be able to pull off a good John. Queen Isabelle would require a haughty blonde I would think, but not sure who could pull that off?

message 6: by Robin (new)

Robin | 298 comments Great suggestion for King John. What do y'all think about Scarlett J. for Isabelle?

message 7: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Q (jenny_q) | 58 comments I like Ioan Gryffydd, too. But he's a little young. How about Viggo Mortensen as Llewelyn?

message 8: by Elizabeth (last edited Mar 24, 2010 09:08AM) (new)

Elizabeth | 17 comments Ioan G. is 37 now, and I think Llewelyn was about 36 when he married Joanna?

Edited to add that I think Rufus Sewell would make a good King John and no objects to Scarlett J as Isabelle, unless she'd be too old now? Isabelle was 12 when John married her, so you'd need an actress of about 16 who could look younger and older.

message 9: by Robin (new)

Robin | 298 comments That's true about Isabelle's age...how old is Scarlett J? She didn't look incredibly old in TOBG. Don't think she could look 12 though!

I don't have the book now (checked it out of the library). What was Will described like? Dafydd looked like Joanna with dark hair? I'm still scratching my head on the others.

message 10: by Nona (new)

Nona (goodreadscomnona) | 145 comments I think Scarlett would be a little old for the part of a 12 yr old.

message 11: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 143 comments Could have a younger actress play her as a young girl, tho I can't think of one.............