Chicks On Lit discussion

Reading funk

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 2175 comments Lately I've been in a bit of a reading funk. I go to the library, I see books that look good, I bring them home and I have no desire to read them. I've taken out fiction, non-fiction, YA, favorite authors, books I've always wanted to read, and I still have no desire to read any of them. Does this ever happen to you? What do you do? Do you keep reading anyway and hope something will start appealing or do you give it a break?

message 2: by Lynne (new)

Lynne | 46 comments I am so there, I am reading books and I am barley absorbing them. I am so bored. I blame it on books nowadays, there are too many so so books. None of them WOW me!

message 3: by Kristie (new)

Kristie (spedkristie) | 385 comments when i get into my funk, i rely on simple, mindless, fun reads. sometimes our brains need a break....during this time, I like to read james patterson, re-read childhood/pre-teen faves just to get through a book quickly. Avid readers tend to just drown themselves in books and read because they often feel obligated (as I am with my current book) but if I read a brainless read.....I feel my reading groove come back!

message 4: by Jonica (new)

Jonica I'm definitley in a funk right now too. I've tried reading books that are just easy reads but can't even seem to finish those. I think I'm going to start reading something else now and give up on the 2 that I can't seem get through...now I have to think of something else to start!

message 5: by Lynne (new)

Lynne | 46 comments Read The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. Its awesome! Or start The Kushiel series, its great! Sexy and mysterious!

message 6: by Sharon A. (new)

Sharon A. (sharona826) | 172 comments I do this from time to time. Sometimes it just means I've been reading too many "heavy" books and need a fun, fluffy romance or chick lit novel to get my mojo back. Sometimes it means I've just been too enthralled in my "book life" and not so much in my "real life," and I need to turn away from the TBR pile for a few days and spend more time with my family and some of my other hobbies.

message 7: by Lynne (new)

Lynne | 46 comments Yeah, I read too much. My little boy will say" mommy spend time with ME, not a book" :(

message 8: by Monika (new)

Monika (marriedmurder) | 130 comments I'm in this funk as well. Though mine came about when all of a sudden I went from not-so-busy winter into crazy spring mode....i hardly have 5 minutes to myself, and all I want to do is read, but I don't get enough time.

message 9: by Jo (new)

Jo I am the same. I have 4 books on the go, all very different to each other, and i just don't feel like reading any of them.

message 10: by Lynne (new)

Lynne | 46 comments I want a book by an author I LUV, in a series I have been reading but they take soooo long to write a sequel!

message 11: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) | 1774 comments I agree with Kristie and Sharon, sometimes to get out of a funk I will read a light funny book.
Jennifer, Lynne, Jenna, & Jo...I have a suggestion! I looked and don't see that any of you have read Mary Kay Andrews. My favorite by her is "Savannah Blues". I bet it would get you out of your reading funk!
and
Monika, I know what you mean by 'crazy spring mode'!!

message 12: by Lynne (new)

Lynne | 46 comments I read mostly sci-fi and fanasty. What genre is Andrews?

message 13: by Lori (new)

Lori (heylorikay) | 11 comments I do that all the time!! It usually happens to me after I read a really great book. I can read 3 or 4 "pretty good" books a week then Ill read a WONDERFULL one and I just get into a funk. I just read The Hunger Games and now I am in a funk too.....

message 14: by Jo (new)

Jo The Hunger Games makes every other books seem really dull. If only all books were that amazing!

message 15: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) | 1774 comments Lynne, I'm thinking that it would be considered chic lit, but not the mushy romance kind. Savannah Blues has a little bit of mystery to it and is just a fun and funny read....but definitely not sci-fi or fantasy. One book in that genre that comes to my mind is The Goose Girl which says it's the re-telling of the classic Grimm's story (?) Have you read that one?
It's been on my shelf for a while. I got it to send to my young cousin but wanted to read it first!!
OK I'm definitely off topic here!

message 16: by Peanut (new)

Peanut | 149 comments Take a break from reading books. Read some magazines. Develop a new hobby. Watch tv. You'll eventually go back to reading.

Normally I'd suggest switching up the genre but it looks like you've tried that already.

message 17: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new)

Sheila  | 3485 comments Mod
I agree with Peanut. It's okay to take a break from reading if you are in a funk. I think sometimes since we classify ourselves as "readers" and our friends and family think we are "readers" that we have to always be reading something. But if you are in a reading funk, just take everything back to the library, don't check anything else out, and take a break. Grab a magazine at the grocery store if something catches your fancy, rent some videos, give yourself permission to not read a book for awhile, and I think eventually your reading groove will come back. But you shouldn't make yourself read just because you are a "reader". That's no fun.

message 18: by Lynne (new)

Lynne | 46 comments I am just bored. I want to read a GOOD, no a GREAT book!

message 19: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (missfryer) | 532 comments Maybe it's just me, but sometimes I think we all need a little break. I really love reading, but after an exceptionally fabulous book,sometimes I just need to "be" for a while.
I think it's perfectly fine for all of us readers to take a break, enjoy nature, watch a good movie, go out with a friend, bake something....and after several days, I bet you will be out of your funk!!

message 20: by Denise (new)

Denise Lynne wrote: "I am just bored. I want to read a GOOD, no a GREAT book!"

Have you read The Things That Keep Us Here by Carla Buckley. This is her first book and I gave it a 5 star rating. I'm not sure what category it would be considered but I can say I thought it was a darn good book. I would have to say this is the best book I have read in a long time.

You mentioned earlier that you normally read sci-fi. Who is your favorite author? I went on a science fiction kick many years ago and I had to read everything by Robert Heinlein. I absolutely love his books. I have a whole bookshelf of his books in my bedroom. There was only one of his books that I couldn't find (don't ask me now what the title is, I can't remember but it was a volume of short stories, I do remember that). My absolutely two favorites of his are Time Enough for Love and Stranger in a Strange Land. Any of his books with the character Lazarus Long were great.

message 21: by Lynne (new)

Lynne | 46 comments I just checked the library for that book by Carla Buckley and they dont have it yet!

message 22: by Pickles (new)

Pickles (angstypickles) Jennifer W wrote: "Lately I've been in a bit of a reading funk. I go to the library, I see books that look good, I bring them home and I have no desire to read them. I've taken out fiction, non-fiction, YA, favorite ..."

This happens to me sometimes. It's why I don't read as many books a year as I'm capable of. I go through phases when I just feel indifferent about everything and don't have any desire to read and I might read only maybe one book in a month, if that. But then I'll go from that to reading a book every few days. This is partially why I'm taking part in so many reading challenges here on GR. I'm trying to read consistently so that I have a better idea of how many books I can actually read in a year if I never allow myself to get into a funk.

message 23: by Lynne (new)

Lynne | 46 comments Denise I just put 2 Heinlein books on order from library. Have spacesuit will travel(tho I may have read this one) and Stranger in a Strange Land. I have been reading mostly fanasty for a while need a good sci fi book. The Mission Earth Series by L. Ron Hubbard is awesome, read it a few times now!

message 24: by Denise (new)

Denise Lynne wrote: "Denise I just put 2 Heinlein books on order from library. Have spacesuit will travel(tho I may have read this one) and Stranger in a Strange Land. I have been reading mostly fanasty for a while need a good sci fi book. The Mission Earth Series by L. Ron Hubbard is awesome, read it a few times now!..."

I've not read any L. Ron Hubbard. I guess because of his involvement in Scientology.

The most recent Heinlein book that I have read is
For Us, the Living: A Comedy of Customs. I ran across this and it is supposed to be the first book that he ever wrote but was not published until after his death. Unless you are a die hard RAH fan I wouldn't recommend it.

I don't know if you have read any time-travel romance but I fell across this genre when I was in Phoenix visiting my kids and I didn't take enough books to read so I raided my daughter's bookshelves. I read A Time For Us and it was really good. I liked it because the protagonist came forward in time and boy was that funny--her reactions to all kinds of things in today's world but then she also took a couple people into the past and that was good too. Another one that I read was Swan's Way and it was also excellent. I loved all of Heinlein's time-travel books so I guess that is why I like the time-travel romance genre.

Regarding Carla Buckley's book that might be hard to get unless you buy it since your library doesn't own it. I suppose the reason my library has it so quickly is because I am in Columbus OH and Carla lives in Columbus and the story takes place in Columbus. If your library lets you recommend books for purchase you might try that route. I use that a lot and my library probably buys 75-80% of what I recommend. I don't think you would have much luck with interlibrary loan because it is so new but that would be another avenue to check.

message 25: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 2175 comments I knew the chicks would have lots of good advice!

I'm sorry others are in "the funk" now too, but in a 'misery loves company' kind of way, I'm glad I'm not the only one.

It's tough for me to find good "fluff." I love a good chick lit book, but I'm very picky about them. Usually when I want something lighter, I'll go with YA, but as I said, that's not working for me, either.

Perusing through Andrews' books I think I may try Hissy Fit: A Novel instead, thanks for the recommendation.

Although, Sharon, Carrie and others may be on to something, perhaps it's my mind telling me to go do other things and get out of the books for a while.

Thanks for all the great advice!!

message 26: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (missfryer) | 532 comments I loved Hissy Fit!

message 27: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 654 comments Lynne, did you read Starship Troopers? It is different from the movie. Definitely different.

When I get into a funk, I do what others suggested-- an entirely different task or a brainlessly easy book to read.

message 28: by Mary (new)

Mary (madamefifi) | 202 comments I do the same as others---read something old and familiar that doesn't require a lot of thinking. Sometimes I'll re-read a whole series, such as Connelly's "Bosch" series or Sandford's "Davenport" series, or 3 or 4 Stephen King books. Old favorites have a way of re-setting my reading button.

message 29: by Nadia (new)

Nadia A (bagambo) Me, too! I tend to re-read old faves or just immerse myself in magazines for a bit. And if that fails, I just distance myself from my books and watch the telly. Eventually my reading funk fades and I am back on track. Its just a drag when the funk hits.

message 30: by Kimberley (new)

Kimberley I love to read and read most days, but I do think that it is okay not to read sometimes. I mean like everything else there can be too much of a good thing and it is a good idea to do something else for a little while.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) I do get overwhelmed by all of what I want to read and sometimes that leads me to not read instead of reading more. I think I'm going through that now! A few years ago I went through a long stretch where nothing caught my interest and my aunt gave me some books to read which weren't my usual reads and I enjoyed them so much it got me out of it!

message 32: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 1274 comments Good advice Jo... When I go through a reading funk there are lots of reasons. Often something else is going on - I'm stressed out with my work schedule (like right now!!) family stuff or some such thing. Monika you said you wanted to read but your schedule was crazy. That's when I crave the time the most - I seriously need the escape! So the book sits in the orchestra pit and I sure hope the conductor is not relying on me to help him with cues!!

Or I pick something because I may want to/NEED to read it for work/school. They're intense and didactic and I can only handle so much. I also think sometimes my choices aren't really appropriate to ME. I pick some books because someone else likes them but they're not my genre. Or I'm in a rut and read too much of the same formula writing. OR they look good on my list!! HA HA Anyway, its ok to take a break!! or find some balance - try getting out of your box sometimes.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Thanks Nancy! Balance... I dream of achieving that and wonder if it's actually achievable.

message 34: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 654 comments I used to read a ton of books per month and decided to cut back. I found this helps me appreciate what I'm reading more :)

message 35: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 1274 comments Agreed Tanja. I need to slow down sometimes. I can't keep that much in my feeble brain. I am so bad, I retain a strong impression of the books I've read, but not the details! Obviously the trashier stuff you can go through quickly, but the stuff that I have to stop and digest and think and take a break from to reflect!! Those are WORTH the pause!

message 36: by Lori (new)

Lori Noe | 28 comments When I get into a reading funk, or just a funk period, I read something light and funny. I just ordered a couple of MryKay Andrews books from Paperbackswap.

message 37: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) | 1774 comments Yes, Mary Kay Andrews is great for this Lori!! I really enjoy her humor!

message 38: by Lynne (new)

Lynne | 46 comments Denise, I was put off at first by Hubbard's involvement w/Scientology but, the books are really good. Nothing to do w/religion.

message 39: by Lori (new)

Lori Noe | 28 comments I hope so, I need some humor in my life. Looking forward to reading one.

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 369 comments I am in such a reading funk right now. I've been trying to read the same book for a while. It's not that the book is boring or that I don't like it..it's just been a hell of a month for me and I just need something lighter but I don't want the book I'm reading aside.

message 41: by Laura (new)

Laura Rittenhouse | 31 comments This happens to me probably once a year. I'm in a funk right now. I do Sudoku instead. Of course Sudoku doesn't take as long (but can be done in bed before sleeping) so I find I watch more TV as well. I can't help but be disappointed in myself when the funk hits and drags out, but it's happened often enough so that I know it will pass of its own accord. I have a few really great books waiting to be read, and they'll just have to keep waiting.

message 42: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 12 comments I seem to be in a reading funk because I am in search of a book that will wow me and wrap me up in the plot. Since I'm so ready for that type of book, many are just falling around the so so mark right now.

message 43: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 2175 comments My funk has abated (thank heavens), yours will, too. The books that I can credit with getting me out of it are two very different titles: The Elegance of the Hedgehog and The Reincarnationist. They both had short chapters, which was useful. I actually haven't quite finished The Reincarnationist, but I will this weekend. Be patient, it will end.

message 44: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (findingjackie) | 214 comments I've been in a reading funk too.. I notice when I'm in that kind of funk .. I avoid the chickie forums, too. I think that's a bad combination but for some reason, that's what I do.. but thanks to this thread, I just ordered The Goose Girl. :)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 369 comments Jackie--Same here! I pretty much abandon Goodreads when I'm in a funk like that. I guess I feel guilty. haha

message 46: by Jo (new)

Jo My funk is over too. I ended up watching more tv and painting but now i am back to reading and painting has taken over and left me in a writing funk. Oh well!

message 47: by Liz (last edited Apr 13, 2010 08:33AM) (new)

Liz I've been in a funk too - I think it's from cramming so many books in such a short amount of time. I've been trying to read The Grapes of Wrath, & although it's beautifully written, I'm just really struggling with it. I think it's time for a mindless read or two.

message 48: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Hickman (bkread2) | 231 comments I think we have all gotten into that funk before. I once got out of the funk by changing the medium I was using. I typically LOVE the written word form of books. BUT I switched for a brief time to a few audio-books and then watched them in movie format. Then followed it up with some frivolous re-reading of some books that I term as bathtub reads. You know the kind that you read in the tub and if it gets wet and ruined no worries or guilt involved and it requires absolutely no brain power to digest. Slowly I got in the mood to read different books.

Sometimes doing something out of the ordinary in topics or genres will also work. If I hadn't done that I would have never known that I actually LOVE mysteries. In the past I would have never read one as I deemed it not to my taste. So just hang in there, the funk will one day lift.

message 49: by Liz (new)

Liz Leslie wrote: "I think we have all gotten into that funk before. I once got out of the funk by changing the medium I was using. I typically LOVE the written word form of books. BUT I switched for a brief time to ..."

What a great idea to switch to audio. I hadn't thought of that. Switching from the normal genres is a good idea too - how fun to discover something new that you love!

message 50: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 1274 comments Leslie, the audio is a great idea. I have to switch it up once in a while. That's part of why I read more than one thing at a time. I don't do the library very often because it takes me a while. But once school is out, I think I've been convinced to go see what they have on audio...

« previous 1