Romance, Historical or Otherwise discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 703 (703 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 15

message 1: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (last edited Mar 16, 2010 01:06AM) (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (mishalabrash) | 1520 comments Mod
Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1) by J.R. Ward Lover Awakened (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #3) by J.R. Ward Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #2) by J.R. Ward Lover Revealed (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #4) by J.R. Ward Lover Unbound (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #5) by J.R. Ward Lover Enshrined (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #6) by J.R. Ward Lover Avenged (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #7) by J.R. Ward

Okay... So I picked these up one 'book buying craze' day... thinking Vampires+Romance= Great right? Well let's just say, I am not sold. I didn't hate them, I just didn't overly like them either. To be fair I haven't finished the series yet, I stopped after Zsadist's story. The creepy, pasty 'sex-less' dude's really irked me too...

message 2: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Rachael wrote: "Ow thank god .. every1 loves these bad boys .. and i so want to love them toooo but i cant and i didnt ..
look I did love wrath ... its more the style of JR ward i didnt rate.. thought she was to..."

What's the demonica series? Start a thread of that one...

message 3: by Nona (new)

Nona (goodreadscomnona) I liked the series so far though I have to finish the last two to complete it. I found that the stories though different were the same if you know what I mean, though I enjoyed Zadists story, I guess I like the demented self loathing guy what can I say? Anyway I plan on finishing it but at the time I got 'burned out' you might say with all the repeating and so forth.

message 4: by Julianna (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 124 comments Well, count me among the lovers of this series. I still have yet to read Lover Avenged, and then Lover Mine when it comes out, to be up to date. I try to spread them out, so I don't run out of books.;-) Out of the first six though, I haven't found a single one that I didn't like yet. They've all been 4-5 stars for me.

message 5: by EvaS (last edited Apr 13, 2010 06:10AM) (new)

EvaS (evikes) | 70 comments I'm on the third one (Z's story) and I must admit I like them. They are not in the Gabaldon league, but a good, fast, naughty read. I have also found that the quality and depth of the writing/story improved with each book (so far). I’m almost sad that Wrath’s story is the first of the series because it is the weakest one so far… but he’s still my favourite Brother (I like Butch too). The story is beginning to get more complex and other characters are being introduced. As a series, I am sure I will enjoy it (given the spoilers I’ve read) because it does end up having a lot of layers and I love that in a story. I have no intense connection with any characters and the ‘tortured-soul-gets-rescued-by-the-strong-heroine’ bit does not captivate me unless I feel something for the characters (OK, yes, I am comparing things to Outlander… can’t help it.. I l-o-v-e them).
For me, BDB is a good fast read that can be steamy and naughty at times – other times, it makes me roll my eyes…. Man, I hate the word ‘shitkickers’.

message 6: by EvaS (last edited Apr 15, 2010 08:50AM) (new)

EvaS (evikes) | 70 comments Ok, so I just finished Lover Awakened, and I think it was the best one of the 3. At this rate, I don’t think I’ll be able to handle # 4 through 6 – the books keep getting better, hotter, more layered and more intense!
So I held out for about 2/3 of the book, and now I have to say I am a Zsadist fan after all… the last third of the book got me good. But it may be because I just want to hug him really hard (among other things *ahem*)…. I love Phury too and he breaks my heart - that last part in the book when John knocks on his door… seriously touched me. Of all of the boys, he tugs on my heartstrings the most.
I am really looking forward to the next book (Butch’s story) because he is my favourite one after Wrath (I wish Wrath had more of a story line in the last 2 books... I miss him). I know some very vague things about what happens to Butch so I’m just itchin’ to get to it!!!! I think I like him so much because he is human (so far) and I guess I can relate to him a bit more than the others. I have only read his & Marissa’s side story through the other 3 books, but I already want to smack her upside the head. I hope their relationship does not turn into the saga I have going on with Bree & Roger (from Outlander)….
There is a thread on the BDB board that asks members to come up with their own BDB name…
I’ve settled on ‘Dhevotion’.

message 7: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Okay, I NEED to pick these up again, apparently. It was after Z's book that I gave up on the series... Not sure why.. After my new found obsession of Sookie Stackhouse and her Vampires... and my massive group read of The Crimson Petal and The White... I may have to start the series again...

message 8: by EvaS (new)

EvaS (evikes) | 70 comments Shell wrote: "Okay, I NEED to pick these up again, apparently. It was after Z's book that I gave up on the series... Not sure why.. After my new found obsession of Sookie Stackhouse and her Vampires... and my ma..."

LOL! I think you may need to! I can definitely see how the brand name thing gets annoying but I liked the rest of the book enough to get over it - and she doesn't do it nearly as much in this book. I have to admit I like these books more than I expected to because they have been progressively better. BUT, it's not for everyone... so maybe the fact that you chose to walk away after book 3 means it may not be your thing?
That's how I am with Stephen King... I know I should like it... love the premise of the books... hear all kindsa praise for him... but I cannot for the life of me get into his writing, or feel passionate about his books. I don't like his 'style' but otherwise everything fits into what I would normally enjoy reading.

message 9: by Kelly (last edited Apr 15, 2010 05:26PM) (new)

Kelly  | 144 comments Eva wrote: "Shell wrote: "Okay, I NEED to pick these up again, apparently. It was after Z's book that I gave up on the series... Not sure why.. After my new found obsession of Sookie Stackhouse and her Vampire..."

Eva/Dhevotion
Love your BDB name. I don't have one :-( Maybe someday I will think of a good one.

I am a huge BDB lover and Wrath is my fav. you will be happy to know that he has a pretty strong storyline in LA so you will see him and Beth again.

I also have a thing for "dirty Talker Butch". I like Marissa but alot of people don't love her.

JM is great and I am dying to get my hands on LM. I am super in LOVE with Xhex not sure if you know her yet.

I am also a Qhuay fan. Blay and Qhuinn. Who will get larger roles in Phury's book and LA.

You are in for some really great reading. I see your point in stretching them out. I am having withdrawals at the moment.

Ward vernacular definitely takes some getting use to in addition to her brand dropping. It isn't a big deal for me but I can see how some people could find it annoying.

I lover her world building and use of names and definitions she comes up with. Nalla and Shellan are my favorites!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh and Lehlan (sp?) reminds me a bit of Jamie's gaelic for some reason.....
Happy Reading!

Kelly :-)

message 10: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) V's and Butch's books are the best in my opinion. But while I enjoyed them, I have serious issues with the writing style.

message 11: by Kelly (last edited May 17, 2010 10:18AM) (new)

Kelly  | 144 comments Regina wrote: "V's and Butch's books are the best in my opinion. But while I enjoyed them, I have serious issues with the writing style."

I can totally see how people struggle with her vernacular. I love it because it is so unique to her and the BDB world! Even with the pop culture references and gangsta attitude it works for me.
Butch is one of my fav's and I loved his book! I have never been a big V fan not sure why.

message 12: by Regina (last edited May 17, 2010 10:25AM) (new)

Regina (reginar) You know the gangsta and pop culture stuff is not my real problem. I find it unbelievable that these ancient men would speak and act that way, but it doesn't bother me the way it bothers others. I have real problems with her writing, I believe it is mediocre. I have to skim/skip the lesser parts. That being said, I love the content and the substance of what she writes about. I like the world she has created and I think she excels at wrting the relationships between the brothers/warriors. And I like her errr... passionate scenes. :) So I do plow through her books and I can't wait for Lover Mine from the library. I am finally the next person on the list to get it.

I hated Phury's book though, hated hated hated it --- except the Rhev parts in Phury's book.

message 13: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) Shell I was bothered by Z's book. I am one of the few people that do not find Z attractive. I also find it unbelieveable that a man who is sexually abused for 100 years could rebound and be somewhat normal and have sex normally -- and yes I know there was a struggle and I have read the Z and Bella novella, I just don't find the struggle enough. Just not believable IMO.

I do agree that Butch is one of the most appealing guys in the books. I am interested to see how Wrath deals with his new issue that developed in Lover Avenged.

yeah, I do not like Marissa. I feel horrible as to how Wrath treated her. I also am not thrilled with Ehlena. But why do I like Rehv? He is a drug dealer and a pimp, lol. So not appealing!

Kelly have you read Covet? What did you think? Trez is in Covet. Phury makes an appearance.

message 14: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  | 144 comments Regina wrote: "Shell I was bothered by Z's book. I am one of the few people that do not find Z attractive. I also find it unbelieveable that a man who is sexually abused for 100 years could rebound and be somew..."
I have it started and ehhh. I think I will wait for the next one to come out so I can read them back to back.
Can't wait to see what you think of LM. Are you a Qhuay fan?

message 15: by Regina (last edited May 17, 2010 10:41AM) (new)

Regina (reginar) Kelly wrote: "Are you a Qhuay fan?"

I am. :) But hey, I wanted Butch and V to do more than just talk. :) I will post as soon as I read LM. Ugh, so hard to not just buy it. I am trying to restrict how many books I buy lately. Got kids to feed and fund college .....

I listened to Covet and was not thrilled, took too long to tell the story but I will still listen/read Crave when it comes out.

message 16: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  | 144 comments Regina wrote: "Kelly wrote: "Are you a Qhuay fan?"

I am. :) But hey, I wanted Butch and V to do more than just talk. :) I will post as soon as I read LM. Ugh, so hard to not just buy it. I am trying to ..."

I wouldn't have bought it myself but got it for $9.99 on Amazon and my girlfriend and I split it so for $5. it was well worth it. I was 56 on the Library list!!!

message 17: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) Very good deal! I love amazon. I just feel like it is a slippery slope. Because there are so many books I want to buy. But this thread is making me want to buy it.

message 18: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  | 144 comments Regina wrote: "Very good deal! I love amazon. I just feel like it is a slippery slope. Because there are so many books I want to buy. But this thread is making me want to buy it."

It is I was strictly a Library girl but since being on GR I have been buying books. We have a couple used book stores and you can get many for $2.00 but I always want the new ones!!!
I did some tag sales this weekend and picked up a bunch for .25 and .50 so if you have any in your area check them out. Seems like everyone has books to get rid of.

Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos) I'm on the 3th book in the series.

message 20: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_b) I've just skimmed this thread since I only just finished Dark Lover (#1) a few minutes ago. Oh my gosh am I hooked!! I picked it up yesterday thinking I'd just read a few pages and I literally couldn't put it down. I can't wait to start the next one :D

message 21: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  | 144 comments Kimberly wrote: "I've just skimmed this thread since I only just finished Dark Lover (#1) a few minutes ago. Oh my gosh am I hooked!! I picked it up yesterday thinking I'd just read a few pages and I literally co..."

Wrath is my favorite Brother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wait till book 3 Z's story is fantastic!
All books are great you are so lucky you can read all of them and not have to wait for the next one to come out. You'll have 7 to read. Don't forget the insider's guide it is amazing for BDB fans!!

message 22: by EvaS (new)

EvaS (evikes) | 70 comments Kimberly wrote: "I've just skimmed this thread since I only just finished Dark Lover (#1) a few minutes ago. Oh my gosh am I hooked!! I picked it up yesterday thinking I'd just read a few pages and I literally co..."

I agree with Kelly, and Wrath is my fav too, with Rehv as a close second although you've yet to read about him Kimberly so no details.... just to let you know, the books get BETTER! So if you liked the first one, you will really enjoy the series - I read all 6 within a few weeks this spring (LM wasnt out yet) and bought the Insider's Guide. Love the BDB! ENJOY!!!!!

message 23: by Julianna (last edited Aug 11, 2010 08:45PM) (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 124 comments I finally just caught up on the BDB series a few weeks ago. In the last three months I've mowed though the Insider's Guide, Lover Avenged and Lover Mine. Loved them all. Now I'm feeling dejected and eagerly waiting for Lover Unleashed to come out next March.

message 24: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_b) Yay, I'm so excited!! I am heading to the bookstore today to pick up all the rest of the series, including the Insider's Guide. Thanks for the tip, Eva :)

message 25: by Joan (new)

Joan (croweangel) | 3 comments Like Julie, I loved the BDB series and read them all last winter. I also bought all the books on Audible Books so I could listen to them and extend my pleasure even more. My fav book in the series was Rhage's story. And, my least favourite was Zadist (and JR has stated publicly that this was hardest book for her to write and go back to). So, I got my BDB fix with the recent release of Lover Mine and was dejected thinking I'd have to wait to see what the next book would be as I really didn't like JR's Fallen Angel first book, Covet. Anyone know what the focus of Lover Unleashed will be in March 2011??

message 26: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  | 144 comments Joan wrote: "Like Julie, I loved the BDB series and read them all last winter. I also bought all the books on Audible Books so I could listen to them and extend my pleasure even more. My fav book in the serie..."

I think it is going to be Manny and Payne, with a novella also coming out for Blay / Qhuinn.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) | 35 comments Gosh to get or not to get??? Ive heard so many say these books are so good..and others say not...maybe III try the first book from the library...are there werewolves in these?...dont like them..Vamps I can read...does the series end?and go into another?

message 28: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) No werewolves. And the vamps are not typical vamps. It is not a disease or a curse, they are not the undead. But another species of creatures very much like humans. They do not eat or consume human blood. It is a unique take on vamps.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) | 35 comments AHHH...this sounds good!nice change from the usual.
I will for sure check out the the 1st book! thanks!

message 30: by EvaS (new)

EvaS (evikes) | 70 comments Sandi wrote: "AHHH...this sounds good!nice change from the usual.
I will for sure check out the the 1st book! thanks!"

Oh, it IS good! I love those BDB boys, and truly like the way the WARDen wrote the Vamp species.

She did mention "dog biscuits" in one of her on-line chats, so I think the warewolves will make some sort of appearance in future books; but she also said she loves writing exclusively about the BDB vamps in that series, so I don't think there will be much to it.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) | 35 comments Eva..the new book she has out, is a new series is it not?
I saw it today but cant remember the name..? it looked good have you read it?

message 32: by Joan (new)

Joan (croweangel) | 3 comments Thanks, Kelly, for the intel on the forthcoming BDB book next year. It will be a long wait though...."Crave", the second book in JR Ward's Fallen Angels series, is due out next month, I think, but since I didn't like Covet, the first book, I'm not keen on picking it up.

message 33: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) Fallen Angels series. First one is Covet. The second one is out in October - crave. I did not like Covet but plan to give Crave a chance.

message 34: by Alycia (new)

Alycia Sandi wrote: "Eva..the new book she has out, is a new series is it not?
I saw it today but cant remember the name..? it looked good have you read it?"

Read the BDB series first Sandi. The Fallen Angels Series is differnt, but is in the same city, some similar locales and minor characters from BDB books and subtle Brother sightings if you recognize their descriptions. Covet is very slow at first, but picks up. I think it was good, but hoping Crave is better. If you judge Covet against BDB, then you may not like it.

message 35: by EvaS (new)

EvaS (evikes) | 70 comments Alycia wrote: "Sandi wrote: "Eva..the new book she has out, is a new series is it not?

Read the BDB series first Sandi. The Fallen A..."

I totally agree Alycia, but I have yet to read Covet - it's about 3rd on my tbr list.

message 36: by Alycia (new)

Alycia Eva wrote: "Alycia wrote: "Sandi wrote: "Eva..the new book she has out, is a new series is it not?

Read the BDB series first S..."

Thanks Eva! Let me know what you think about Covet. Once you get passed the first kiss the story picks up and gets interesting.

message 37: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

After reading the IMMENSE praise from all ya'll, and taking into consideration that ALL of you have GREAT taste in books, I am thinking I must pick this series up again.

message 38: by Alycia (new)

Alycia LOL, well of course we have great taste Shell ;)
Can't wait to hear what you think.

message 39: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

I stopped about 2 chapters into what's his pickle, cop turned wannabe vampire warrior's story.

message 40: by Alycia (new)

Alycia Lover Revealed (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #4) by J.R. Ward this one? Not one of my favs

message 41: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Yes.. that would be the one. So they get better after that one?

message 42: by Alycia (new)

Alycia I liked the ones before that one and after, I also didn't like Lover Enshrined (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #6) by J.R. Ward as much. Which is book 6 i think.

message 43: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Good to know, Okay I will start it again. Probably fairly quick here.

message 44: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  | 144 comments Check out Fan Fic Lover Destined in the BDB group. OMG
It is a Qhuay story and it is fantastic.
I've never been a Fan Fic fan but honest to goodness this could be the Warden writing it. It is really true to the BDB!

message 45: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Cool I will.. I'll prob have to join the group though eh?

message 46: by Jenese (new)

Jenese (jsnow09) | 41 comments I <3 JM!!! lol And of course I love the WARDen!!! :)

message 47: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  | 144 comments I love the Blind King!!!

Wrath yummmmyyyyy!!!!

message 48: by Christine (new)

Christine | 12 comments Ok can i just say i think this is the first time i've met people who don't really like the BDB as some of you have said, so thankyou for my something new today,lol
i love them they are one of my favourite series ever, and i can't get enough, i raced through Lover Mine and am gutted that i have to wait a year for the next

message 49: by Alycia (new)

Alycia I hear you Christine, such a long time to wait. I am interested to see what Crave is like next month.

message 50: by Kay (new)

Kay (calikay) | 1216 comments I also love BDB! My fave PNR ever! There are some things that I didn't like in some books...such as Lover Enshrined (Phury's book), where the whole wizard thing was just too weird. Then in Lover Mine (John Matthew's book), the whole paranormal investigators scene was unnecessary. Other than that, I love her writing! Never thought 2 males together could be so hot (Lover Mine)!!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 15