Artipathy discussion

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kim (new)

Kim | 362 comments Mod
I like what Gurney says about copying, or at least what I read of it before I fell asleep with the cat on my chest last night. I did a copy of a Rembrandt self portrait (years ago) in college and learned tons from it. For some reason I haven't done this again. I vow now that I will take my sketchbook next time to the museum and ask if I can sketch the compositions of some of the artists. I always learn so much from the masters when I see them but never write it down. This is a great way of memorizing what is important. And it does somehow get you into the head of the person who made the painting. It is a sort of magic door and perhaps a shorter path to finding some answers.

message 2: by S. Kay (new)

S. Kay (cobwebs) | 90 comments I agree... we're occasionally asked to copy an old master's painting, sketch, or style at the school I'm at now, and at first it seemed a little odd, but it really forces you to expand your knowledge quickly.

message 3: by Kim (new)

Kim | 362 comments Mod
That's great that they are including that in your education, Kay. Can I ask where you are going? It does seem uncomfortable at first to be copying. I mean, my initial feeling is I want to create my own original work and not someone else's and also it kinda takes the magic out of figuring it out on your own (even though you are because you have to figure out how they did it). But I think that the concepts you learn from copying, and even all the rules of the old masters, are later absorbed into your own vision when that is strong and clear. The key is to not lose sight of that!

message 4: by S. Kay (new)

S. Kay (cobwebs) | 90 comments I'm at Academy of Art University in San Francisco... I went to VCU briefly and their teaching method seemed to be completely different, not suited for me at all, but AAU has been fabulous. Lots of focus on classical drawing skills and techniques. They seem to move under the idea that once you have all the technical skills any kind of style you might have will appear. A lot of the classes I had before this school were encouraging people to "find their style" but what came out just seemed to be a jumbled mess in most cases. Learning the techniques seems to be a lot more effective.

But yes, can't lose sight of your own vision. Must hold to that quite firmly!