Papercut discussion

Post/Response #1

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

For this journal post and response, please do the following:
1. Remember that you need to use 3 vocabulary words in this journal post. Please bold.

2. Initially, write the title of the book with link and the number of pages covered for this journal: i.e. pages 1-45.

3. In 100 words, answer the first part of the journal prompt using the sentence stems under “Writing Comments/Questions.” (Paragraph 1)

4. In 100 words, answer the second part of the journal prompt using the sentence stems under “Writing Observations about your Reading Process.” (Paragraph 2)

5. In 100 words, define the following and then analyze in relation to your text. (Paragraph 3)
Point of View (CRS: 238)
Mode of Discourse (CRS: 56, 118)

6. In 4 to 5 sentences, respond to another group member’s posting.

message 2: by Fernando (last edited Mar 17, 2010 08:24PM) (new)

Fernando | 2 comments Survivor
The book I'm currently reading is Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk and this journal is on pages 289-277.

First of all, I just want to say that the book's page numbers go in reverse order. So it starts on page 289 and ends on page 1. I don't see the reason behind doing that, but so far it isn't hard to keep up. I like the way Palahniuk weaves in missing information. While reading I began to think of why all the passengers on the plane had fled and why the main character was still on the plane, but the author eventually elaborated on the situation. I suppose the way the book is organized has something to do with that.

I first thought maybe the plane didn’t have enough fuel so everyone just jumped into the ocean, but then realized the main character, Tender Branson, was hijacking the plane. I figured out that even though he was hijacking the plane, he didn’t mean harm to the passengers because he had the pilot land and get them off. Then after that was done with, he had the pilot take off once again to succinctly continue explicating the functions of the plane so that Branson could operate it himself.

The story jumps to Tender Branson’s apartment where he talks about how he takes calls from people considering suicide all because of a typo in a newspaper. I see his point of view as serious, wry, and uncaring because he sometimes abets the idea of suicide simply because of their tone of voice. He finds all the calls entertaining, and better than television. The whole point of the book is the character speaking his story into a recording black box on the plane so the mode of discourse mostly used is narration.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Fernando wrote: "Survivor
The book I'm currently reading is Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk and this journal is on pages 289-277.

First of all, I just want to say that the book's page numbers go in rever..."

Fernando, Good job with this post and using vocab. That is really interesting about the book's pagination. I have never seen this before, but I am sure you are right that there is some purpose to this. Be sure that each section of your post is the required length.