The Next Best Book Club discussion

Other Novels To Discuss > Infinite Jest Read-Along: May 1st, 2010

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by JSou (new)

JSou Ok, I know a bunch of us have talked about doing this read-along for awhile, and figured it was time to get this party started!

I thought we could at least set an official start date that would work for everybody and plan our to-read lists accordingly. What do you guys think?

message 2: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 604 comments Hell yes!

message 3: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10060 comments Mod
Ooooh lordy. I have some review copies to get through.... Are we looking at starting this month, or later on???

message 4: by JSou (new)

JSou Maybe next month? Or the month after? Whatever will work for everybody. God knows, I have plenty of books to keep busy with until whenever we can start! :o)

message 5: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 604 comments What about May 1st? Is that enough time? I have plenty of books to keep me occupied in the meantime as well.

message 6: by JSou (new)

JSou May 1st sounds good to me.

message 7: by Kate (new)

Kate | 119 comments Sounds good to me too :). My copy has been waiting patiently for me to pick it up.

message 8: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Ok,I can bank on that. Far enough away to get through the books I have lined up for review, and close enough to start getting excited about it.

COunt me in!

message 9: by JSou (new)

JSou Yay!

message 10: by JenniferD (new)

JenniferD (jooniperd) I would love to participate in this. I missed Infinite Summer in 2009, so thought I would 'tackle' it this summer, beginning in June. I think I can swing a May 1st start...but may have to play a bit of catch-up as I am also doing the Seasonal Reading Challenge. Like Kate, my copy of Infinite Jest has been waiting patiently for me. :D

message 11: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (bellamy22) | 610 comments I have owned this since it was first published years ago, and never even opened it...
If I can find it, I'm in!

message 12: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jayme-reads) If there's room for more, I'd love to have some people to read this one with! I'm going away for the first two weeks of May, so having a brick along with me to read would be perfect.

message 13: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 604 comments Of course! Everyone is welcome to join in - the more the merrier. :o)

message 14: by Heather (new)

Heather (hkhart) | 3 comments Count me in! I've read the first 400 pages (and loved it) but had to return to library. I've since bought my own copy but haven't found my way back to it.

message 15: by astrangerhere (last edited Mar 23, 2010 04:34AM) (new)

astrangerhere I'm in. I'd like to push a little outside of my box and this seems like a good one to do it with. So can any of you guys explain to someone new to the group how a read-a-long works? Certain pages a day or a week so that in a book of this size people doen't get spoiled? I'm still new enough here to plead complete ignorance. :)

ETA: After seeing the sheer mass of this book, I promptly went home and bought an e-copy. I am not one much for e-books, but when a book is more unwieldy than my netbook, the netbook is going to win.

message 16: by Efe (new)

Efe | 181 comments I'm in, but like astrangerhere would love to know how the read-a-longs work.

message 17: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

For the read-a-long, there is no time limit, or page limit. You start at the first of the month, and discuss as you go. We will only have one thread, so post your spoilers with warnings - either by page number or by chapter so people are able to pass them by if they so chose.

message 18: by Kate (new)

Kate | 119 comments *pokes this thread as a reminder*
Time is coming along.

message 19: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jayme-reads) I don't think I'm going to make it for May. :*(

My new job is taking up more of my reading time than the old one did...

message 20: by Rach (new)

Rach (rachlovestv) | 104 comments Are we still doing this? If so, I need to find my copy. :)

message 21: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

oh crap.... I sooo wanted to get in on this, and I cant now. I have way too many books waiting to be read for review!!!!

SOrry guys, But I gotta bail. I will get to it eventually, but there is no hope for this month!

message 22: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 604 comments I'm starting it after I finish rereading Water for Elephants for school (I should be done tonight). I read the intro by Dave Eggers and it's got me pretty excited. :o)

message 23: by Mary (new)

Mary (attorneymom) I am planning to start after I finish One Hundred Years. It will probably be another week or so, as I'm completely swamped at work.

message 24: by JenniferD (last edited May 04, 2010 09:39AM) (new)

JenniferD (jooniperd) I'm not starting until the 21st of June - my summer of Infinite Jest. There was a web group that did Infinite Summer last year, but I found out about it too late. I moderate a different group here on GR and there will be a few of us reading Jest over the summer.

message 25: by JSou (new)

JSou I started a few days ago, but I'm only at the 100 page mark. Has anyone else gotten to the "JAMES O. INCANDENZA: A FILMOGRAPHY", in the endnotes?

I confess, I skimmed.