Olathe Public Library- GoodReads Branch discussion

Librarian Book Reviews > ...and now for something a little lighter....

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lorie (new)

Lorie | 48 comments Mod
Saving Ceecee Honeycutt A Novel by Beth Hoffman
Looking for an antidote to a heavy diet of family dramas, murder mysteries and vampires? "Saving CeeCee Honeycutt" by Beth Hoffman is a bit like a refreshing slice of lemon meringue pie.
It is a charming coming of age novel in the same vein as "The Secret Life of Bees" with a setting in the American south similar to the portrayal of that region in "The Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood" by Rebecca Wells, with cross over appeal for teen girls and book club favorite written all over it.
The 11-year-old CeeCee is trapped in a nightmare life with an absent father and a mother in the grip of a psychosis that makes her the laughing stock of the town. When her mother is struck by a truck and killed, a great aunt from Savannah, Ga., magically appears to sweep the traumatized CeeCee into a new life in that genteel city.
In Savannah CeeCee is surrounded by strong, independent and quirky women who feed her spirit and nurture her hopes.
From the frothy, gracious home surrounded by gardens and on a street lined with live oaks, to CeeCee's third floor "sleeping porch" bedroom where her nights are cooled by fragrant breezes, this book is filled with soothing images to replace the late winter blahs. Scenes of garden parties and porch swings and evening sweet tea are a great antidote to the gray skies of a Kansas March.
I listened to this one, and the reading by Jenna Lamia was pitch perfect.

message 2: by Madison (new)

Madison | 4 comments I've got this one on my nightstand. Glad you liked it. The review I read likened it to Steel Magnolias.

message 3: by Lorie (new)

Lorie | 48 comments Mod
Hey Madison, have your read this one yet?

message 4: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 26 comments Mod
I am going to be reading this for the GR Summer Challenge. I've read the first 8 or 10 pages, so am barely into it.

message 5: by Madison (new)

Madison | 4 comments No, I got too wrapped up in wedding stuff and had to return it. I plan on trying it again later in the summer.

message 6: by Lorie (new)

Lorie | 48 comments Mod
Madison wrote: "No, I got too wrapped up in wedding stuff and had to return it. I plan on trying it again later in the summer."

O sheesh...forgot about the wedding! I guess you are a little preoccupied!

message 7: by Madison (new)

Madison | 4 comments Haha. Yes, that is an understatement. Only 15 more days!

Olathe Public Library- GoodReads Branch

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Saving CeeCee Honeycutt (other topics)