Terminalcoffee discussion

Sharing Time: > So, this has happened...again.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 97 (97 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17320 comments Mod
Saturday morning I cooked my oats for breakfast as usual, then turned on the computer to find out what happened at TC while I was sleeping (not much - lets get our posts up people!) and then realized that I'd forgotten to turn the heat down to 2 for the long simmer part of cooking oats.

Burnt pan.

Today I made noodles, rinsed beans, drained noodles in colander with beans. Put sauce in pan, dumped noodles and beans back in, added spinach. This is a typical hungry Sal needs to eat right now sort of meal I normally can make in my sleep.
Apparently pregnancy is stronger than sleep because I again forgot to turn the burner down to simmer the sauce and steam the spinach. Guess what had happened in the twenty minutes it took me to write and chuckle at the "what don't you like" thread. Mmmm-hmm, that's right.

Burnt pan.

Dammit Janet!

message 2: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments maybe you were doing the time warp?

message 3: by Sally, la reina (new)

Pregnancy is one big time warp.

message 4: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Hm. I burned tofu a couple days ago, forgot to turn down the temps to simmer, too, but I can't blame TC. I just forgot to turn down the temps.

What you were making sounds pretty good, too.

message 5: by Sally, la reina (new)

I can see you people reading this thread and not commenting! I SEE YOU! Reading, maybe chuckling, maybe just thinking to yourself about the last meal you ruined and had to throw away the pan.
AND NOT CHIMING IN! Eight of you. Shame, shame. Come on! Let's kill the late afternoon GR dead zone with some pot burnin' commiseratin'! (hehheeh - I said "pot burnin').

message 6: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments they should invent some kind of timing device you could activate to alert you when something has cooked long enough

message 7: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments [RHPS reference..:]

message 8: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) This never happens to me. I just cut the end of my finger off instead.

message 9: by Sally, la reina (last edited Mar 14, 2010 05:27PM) (new)

Re msg 6: That's what Sweeter says too. No sympathy, whatsoever.

:|

Where's Bun? I bet she doesn't use timers either.

message 10: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Whew. Glad I got my post up! Now I can nod at Sally and say "you tell them, Sally, I would never do that to you!"

:)

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I think pregnancy is a wonderful experience. Absent mindedness is just a minor side effect. (Which sticks around a bit longer than you might expect, I'm still using the excuse 12 years later.)

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

A friend of mine told me that the placenta is made up of 80% of your brain cells. When you lose it you don't get them back.

message 13: by Sally, la reina (new)

That was a lot of CCPs about three minutes ago. Good work.

And I'm aware of one RHPS reference in here, where is the other? Kitchen timer? finger slicing? cross dressing? Kevin! Take off the dress.

message 14: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments you did one then i did one

message 15: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 14, 2010 05:31PM) (new)

Sorry to ask a dumb question, but what is an RHPS?

message 16: by Sally, la reina (new)

Oh time warp. yes, clever you.

***pats head***

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I knew it was a dumb question. I should have picked up on that.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I forgot to turn down my green beans last night, and they steamed at full boil almost the whole time. They were awfully tough, too, after all that.

message 20: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments about half my intended sneaky jokes get caught and the other half are not funny anyway

message 21: by Sally, la reina (new)

Hmmmm

***reevaluates Kevin's measuring system***

message 22: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Yeah what about the other half?

message 23: by Sally, la reina (new)

More like the other eighth.

message 24: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I get lost with fractions. Gail we need your help over here.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

If you can't work that out you are in deep do do.

message 26: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments oh, sort of back on topic, my wife caught the rolls on fire today while warming them in the microwave. the wire in the bread tie deal sparked and caught the paper on fire and that evolved into a full blown flame spinning beautifully around behind the glass.

'hey hey HEYHEYHEY..." puff puff puff

message 27: by Sally, la reina (new)

All I'm saying is that I don't get 7/8 of Kevin's "jokes" and 1/8 are truly funny.

message 28: by Sally, la reina (new)

They're probably just lost in the lack of punctuation or capitalization.

message 29: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments but the 1/8th totally kill

message 30: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Is that like a Pareto analysis?

message 31: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments btw - friggin sooooo-reeeeeeee my lame irregular computer doesn't have a shift key

message 32: by Lori (new)

Lori I'm with Gail, pregnancy, absent-mindedness being one of the issues as well as lack of sleep, is training for the rest of your life! Welcome to the world Baby Nolan!

message 33: by Sally, la reina (new)

You don't have a shift key? I've seen you accidentally punctuate things, Kevin.

message 34: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) No he said his computer is shiftless. Or shifty. I don't know.

message 35: by Sally, la reina (new)

:D Vindicated!

message 36: by Mary (new)

Mary (madamefifi) How are you vindicated? I don't see BunWat posting about burning pans. Just curious.

message 37: by Sally, la reina (new)

Just that she also doesn't use timers. Kevin's lack of sympathy, hinting that there must be *some device* to keep track of cooking times...that's all.

message 38: by Mary (new)

Mary (madamefifi) Hmmmm. Well, some people don't need to use timers and some *coughSallycough* do, I guess.

message 39: by Lori (new)

Lori And some of us forget to turn it on.

message 40: by Sally, la reina (new)

:| Grrrr. Usually I do better by smell than timers. I set it, but decide it is done earlier or it needs one more, one more, two more minutes.

message 41: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (mandypants) I'll own up to burning pans! Two different pans within two days. One was filled with oatmeal too. At least you have the excuse of being pregnant, Sally. I'm just easily distracted.

message 42: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I admit to using a timer to cook pasta. I can't go no mushy angel hair. If it's not al dente it's down the disposal.

I burned the hell out of a pan once when I put broccoli in a steamer rack and forgot to put water in it.

message 43: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Seriously, best remedy for cleaning a pot or pan that's been "burnt" - boil a boxful of baking soda. The black gunk will flake off and float up to the top of the water... and whatever doesn't flake off will soften so you can scrape it off. When I do this, I typically put about a quarter of the box in first... refresh the water, add another quarter of the box, and repeat until it's clean.

message 44: by Sally, la reina (new)

OOOOH nice! Thank you!

message 45: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments My stepgrandmother taught me that trick several years ago... and I've noticed that baking soda's pretty much a miracle worker since then... cleans just about EVERYTHING without toxic fumes, and seems to be fairly gentle. I even do baking soda rinses in my hair every few months.

Oh, btw, I got my hair chopped short again. Now it's in a chin length, chunky layered pageboy. :)

message 46: by Sally, la reina (new)

I'm getting my hair cut in the morning!

message 47: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Sally, if you were to do a baking soda rinse in your hair, all you'd need is a nickel sized amount, mixed in with your shampoo... rinse it out, then shampoo as you normally would and condition. I swear, it strips all the gunk off your hair and leaves it SOOO soft and heavenly. :)

message 48: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments p.s. Please post pics of the hair cut, Sally. :)

message 49: by Sally, la reina (new)

OK. for you. But I'm not really grooving on my face in pictures the closer I get to the end of this pregnancy.

message 50: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments :( But Sally, you're pregnant! Pregnant women are always beautiful!!! AND you're SALLY!

« previous 1